120ft cable run

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdiddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2013
western montana
I'm gonna place a direct dish about 120ft from the house,is that going to be a problem for the lnb power supply,to flow power that kinda distance?

Mine is 120 ft exactly and I've never had problems with any DVR I've had. I've had D* since 9/10/1994 and currently have an HR44 and HR24 on a SWM setup, with a 21v power inserter on a 120 ft run from dish to TV.

120 ft shouldn't be a problem, but you should use solid core copper cable and maybe a 29 volt power inserter even if you have a swm lnb.

I could be wrong about this but a SWM 8 can only use a 21v power inserter. The 29v is for SWM 16.

I could be wrong about this but a SWM 8 can only use a 21v power inserter. The 29v is for SWM 16.

The 21 volt power inserter is for a swm lnb only. As kitty noted, the 29 volt model can be used with the swm switch or when there is too much voltage drop.

how many receivers are you installing? how far are those fom the main distribution point. It may be better to use a SWM8/16 since those have AGC built in.

I'm gonna place a direct dish about 120ft from the house,is that going to be a problem for the lnb power supply,to flow power that kinda distance?
You can go non amplified 200 ft from the dish to the first receiver without any real issues.
I do however recommend sold copper conductor cable

120 ft shouldn't be a problem, but you should use solid core copper cable and maybe a 29 volt power inserter even if you have a swm lnb.
The voltage is not really the concern. It is current( Amperage) which is the main ingredient.

If you increase the voltage, you increase the current assuming the resistance stays the same.

It's voltage LOSS which is the issue on long runs. hence the recommendation to use the 29v PI instead of the 21v.

Reactions: raoul5788
Correct. However, excessive voltage can cause issues.
In any event, it's a balancing thing.
Since you can use either a 21 or 29 volt power inserter on a swm lnb, I doubt excessive voltage is a problem.

Well is not that easy. It depends on splitter usage. At 200 feet an 8 way inline, you would certainly have issues without any kind of SWM amp.
I concur. . As I also said in my above post it's more about db drop. Gotta know how many irds are getting installed and how far the lines are from the tvs to the central splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)