129 & 61.5

PowerMax

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Question for ya, albeit a stupid one, but I'd like to know. It appears that the satellites at 61.5 and 129 mirror each other. With the dish1000, like I have, what it the point of the 61.5 bird?

Sky Angel, different Public interest channels like Arts, The Pentagon Channel, Health & Human Services channel. The "Fish Tank" channel (Dish HD demo channel), International channels. Local channels for Providence, RI., Diffenrent HD RSN channels if they ever get turned on.

That's about it.

At this point, other than several local markets and several HD RSNs not yet available to subscribers, there is nothing at 129 that isn't at 61.5

See 129 List and 61.5 list on the EKB

Thanks Tony, now I am informed rather than curious. :)

I had heard at one point that 129 was rogue (not positioned correctly) and that they kept thrusting it into place. Is this still the case or is this bird calm now?

E*5 which is at 129° now is a hurtin' pup, but still okay. The biggest problem with 129° is that it is a Canadian DBS slot being used for the US under TEMPORARY authority.

A link from the EKB

http://www.sat-index.com/failures/index.html?http://www.sat-index.com/failures/echo5.html

EchoStar V
Operator: EchoStar
Manufacturer: Space Systems/Loral
Model: FS 1300
Launched: 23 September 1999
Orbit: Geostationary
Momentum wheels: In July 2001, EchoStar V experienced the loss of one of its three momentum wheels. Two momentum wheels are utilized during normal operations and a spare wheel was switched in at the time. A second momentum wheel experienced an anomaly in December 2003 and was switched out resulting in operation of the spacecraft in a modified mode utilizing thrusters to maintain spacecraft pointing. While this operating mode provides adequate performance, it results in an increase in fuel usage and a corresponding reduction of spacecraft life. This operating mode is not expected to reduce the estimated design life of the satellite to less than 12 years.

Worded a little different but the latest on Echostar5.

EchoStar V. EchoStar V was launched during September 1999 and currently operates at the 129 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed with a minimum 12-year design life. As previously disclosed, momentum wheel failures in prior years, together with relocation of the satellite between orbital locations, resulted in increased fuel consumption. These issues have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite, but have reduced the remaining spacecraft life to less than two years as of December 31, 2006. Prior to 2006, EchoStar V also experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of six solar array strings. During July 2006, the satellite lost an additional solar array string. The solar array anomalies have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite to date. Since the satellite only has a remaining life of approximately two years, the solar array failures (which would normally have resulted in a reduction in the number of transponders to which power can be provided in later years), are not expected to reduce the current remaining life of the satellite.

Worded a little different but the latest on Echostar5.

EchoStar V. EchoStar V was launched during September 1999 and currently operates at the 129 degree orbital location. The satellite was originally designed with a minimum 12-year design life. As previously disclosed, momentum wheel failures in prior years, together with relocation of the satellite between orbital locations, resulted in increased fuel consumption. These issues have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite, but have reduced the remaining spacecraft life to less than two years as of December 31, 2006. Prior to 2006, EchoStar V also experienced anomalies resulting in the loss of six solar array strings. During July 2006, the satellite lost an additional solar array string. The solar array anomalies have not impacted commercial operation of the satellite to date. Since the satellite only has a remaining life of approximately two years, the solar array failures (which would normally have resulted in a reduction in the number of transponders to which power can be provided in later years), are not expected to reduce the current remaining life of the satellite.

To put it in a few words: It's a dying POS.

Yeah, but isn't Echostar 4 parked at 77W? At least they're not using it. What bothers me is that they put HD channels on 129 when they know it's a piece of crap. But oh well, 2 more years "woo hoo" and it will be replaced.

77w has signal on two TP's. Pegs the signal meter over here. They are mirrors of some TP's from 110 though. Their just keeping the slot warm....

I think LA locals in HD and some national HD channels come from the 129 satellite (specially for west coast folks)

what will happen if this bird is gone say 2009?

will these also get back into 61.5?

Thanks

The magical switch was turned on today for FIOS TV in my area, in a few months (when my contract is up) it may be hard to stay with E*. I'm tried of crap (PQ) HD and crap HD signal. The new MPEG4 encoders helped a bit, but colors are still odd quite often. Oh well, I have to wait and see I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts