129 and rain?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Geez, we are having a very wet fall (realize I live in a Desert with about 7 inches of rain a year). Its been raining steadily for a few hours, and the 129 bird is having a helluva time; but the others are not. I lost sat on 129 three times in the last half-hour.

Its back right now, and I am watching Heroes, but praying it will last... Pretty annoying.

I guess I am getting a taste of what people deal with on the east coast all the time; its not just pixelization, just losing the signal entirely.

For all you in the more wet parts of the country, is this the norm? With previous receivers, I do not recall losing reception quite like this in the past. Oh yeah, the occasional outage, but this has been annoying.

I'm gonna get a bigger dish for 129, as we have been getting rain lately ... Winegard has one that will accept a Dish pro Lnb...

Its a good idea for sure, but the wife would have a cow :) Of course, if it keeps crapping out when SHE is watching, then maybe I'd have a better chance :D

I suspect part of the problem is related to the reports of lower signal strength on 129 since L3.63 on the 622. Have some rain, and it just craps out.

Of course, if this obnoxious amount of late-season monsoon would end, and we just returned to our normal dry weather patterns this might go away.

No clouds and my 129 on the 622 has been giving me fits, the 921 is having no problems... gonna have to watch Class etc from the 921... (west feeds)

So... maybe its the blasted 129 and not the weather. Fingers crossed, it has been good for 40 minutes; another 20 minutes and I'll get through Heroes..

The Class, on the other hand, I will have to download as a DivX file; I do not have the West Coast CBS feed. I looked online and neither Amazon nor iTunes has it available to download.

Snow

So... maybe its the blasted 129 and not the weather. Fingers crossed, it has been good for 40 minutes; another 20 minutes and I'll get through Heroes..

The Class, on the other hand, I will have to download as a DivX file; I do not have the West Coast CBS feed. I looked online and neither Amazon nor iTunes has it available to download.

If you are having trouble w/rain think about what is going to happen when it snows. Might want to make sure the 129 is peaked or add a 2nd dish. Snow when it sticks and freezes on a dish really does a number on sat signal.

If you are having trouble w/rain think about what is going to happen when it snows. Might want to make sure the 129 is peaked or add a 2nd dish. Snow when it sticks and freezes on a dish really does a number on sat signal.

We usually get virtually no snow here; and it has never froze on the dish in the past 6 years. Geez, I don't want to jinx that. :D

i mean it's hard enough getting through heroes without breakups... yeah E* is gonna have a HUGE problem this fall and winter if it rains more... they're going to get a lot of complaints... it's time to replace that bird... i'm also thinking i may get the larger winegard

here in Minnesota the reception from 129 is fine unless there is a major thunderstorm. It is not affected by normal rain. This will be the first winter with my VIP211 so it will be interesting to see what happens when the snow starts falling.

I was having a weak signal from 129 and put a (I think 30") Winegaurd dish and my signal now runs in the 80s and 90s. Works great. I live outside Louisville KY.

Is it better in rain?

DO you need to get an extra switch to make this work, or just run the coax from the Dish 1000 to the second dish?

Shouldn't need a switch.

Is it better in rain?

DO you need to get an extra switch to make this work, or just run the coax from the Dish 1000 to the second dish?
If one is replacing the 129 slot of the D 1000 it would just be necessary to move the LNB over to the larger dish and hook it up to the port that the 129 had been in to start with.

While camping/ hunting last week, I had a D* 18" dish on 129 getting high 60's- low 70's... going to try a dish 300 with a dishpro Lnb tomarrow and see if I can beat the Dish 1000, I'm using a meter now, if that is unsuccesfull will try an extra Dish 500 I have laying around...

I might have a friend bring over his bedroom 301 and hook it up to my 90cm dish. I'm curious to see the strength compared to what you guys are getting.

We hooked up the 301 to and swung the dish over to 129W.

This is a 90cm with an Invacom QPH-031 LNB. Here's a few readings:

05 - 111%
16 - 112%
17 - 116%
21 - 112%

Just for kicks we checked 119 and 110 too, lots of solid 125's.

Bigger is better ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)