129 Azimuth reading

garywdyls

Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Hello, I'm new here so hi to all.
I am trying to determin if an upgrade to Dish 1000 would work for me. I am in the New York area and would like to know where 129 is located. My Dish 500 is mounted very close to the west side of my house (inches) and any further sightings to the east would be blocked by the house.

Thanks in advance,
Gary:)

129 refers to 129W longitude.

All +/-
Porto Rico = 66W
New York = 75W
New Orleans = 90W
Denver = 104W
Arizona = 112W
Nevada = 119W
Hawaii = 157W

So 129W should be between CA and HI, but right above the equator; and more importanty somewhere to the southwest from you.

Will the 1000 work. I've heard of people having problems in the Northwest, extreme Southeast (FL and little of GA), and so-so in the Northeast. You may want to look at some threads titled "Dish 1000" or "HD".

If you're looking for 129 for HD programming, you may have good luck with 61.5 (south to southeast of Porto Rico).

There are also a couple of new dishes coming out including Dish 1000+ which is a little bigger than the current Dish 1000, as well as some upgrade kits, that may work better for you. Info and availability on the new dishes are still sketchy right now, but here are some links:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techequiDish500.shtml
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techequiDish-1000.shtml
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techequiSuperdish.shtml

Hopefully others in the New York area will respond on their success stories.

If you need the azimuth and cannot find it, respond with your zip code and someone will respond back with the azimuth (for 129 and 61.5).

Good Luck.

Last edited:
NO you do not need a dish 1000 in New YORK. In fact it won't work in the northeast , Florida or southern tip of Texas from Victoria down. You need the 61.5 sat dish for your hd locals and all other hd channels are mirrored on the 61.5 dish just like the 129 sat.

The 129 satellite is a crappy satellite that will be replaced sometime next year, that has to refire the thrusters several times a day to keep it positioned over the designated area over the country. IT causes the signal to flucuate up and down all day long. You should get great signal strengths in the 90s and even the 100s in New York for the 61.5 sat dish.

I use a dish 500 with a dishpro plus twin on one pole and a dish 500 for the 61.5 sat dish that is run into the dish pro plus twin . I can split one coax into two using the dishpro seperator and feed both tuners of my 622 that way. I get signal strengths in the mid to high 90s and even one transponder comes in at 111 and I am in southeast Texas , 90 miles from Houston.

I recommend that you use the 61.5 and you will be all set for your New York hd locals & all national hd mpeg 4 channels are there as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)