129 Legacy Problems in Check Switch - Started Lately

ckinninger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Hello,

On several different receiver models we have had zero success in the last week detecting 129 in a legacy LNB setup. We end up with a check switch fail (says we are missing even polarity). We have tried several different SW64 thinking that the first went defective. This has happened on several different installations when trying to add 129 to legacy 119/110 setups. In the end we even try to wire the dual LNB directly to the receiver and the check switch still won't pass. Change everything to DishPro and it works fine. Definetly not a signal problem.

Anyone else?

In the two or three days following the new Ciel 2 release we had a couple installs that went fine. Since then, zero success.

Thanks.

Have had the same problem, used legacy with sw21's for single HD sets no problems. When using a dual receiver 622 lose the even transponders, switch to a DP34 and Dish Pro all is well. Even used a DPP twin backwards, took 119 into the third port and put 129 on the 119 horn and switch tested fine. Looking like Dish Pro or better is the way to go. Was your problem with a dual HD receiver?

Last edited:
Last night we really tested the hell out of a 222 trying to get the 129 to pass a check switch in legacy. Tried two different sw64. Tried tried sw44. Moved the sat input ports around to different locations. Tried running only the 129 through the switch (no other sats). Tried running the 129 directly to the receiver. No luck on any of the above after check switch.

The only thing that worked at all was running a check switch with nothing connected to the receiver. Got the X for both tuners. Then hooked 129 only to back of receiver and it worked. Just turn reset receiver, guide downloads and channels change fine.

We'll try a 722 in a bit and I'll post here. Will also try a sw21. I don't want to retry the 622 since it has the checkswitch passed from a couple weeks ago and I don't want to lose it. I think we have a 211 around here to try. Also will try a 311 just for the hell of it.

Thanks.

With 129 involved with legacy setup:

311 - Check switch works
722 - Check switch does not work (no 129)
222 - Check switch does not work (no 129)

I have that problem (missing even polarity) on a legacy receiver connected to a 1000+ thru a DPP44.

I have that problem (missing even polarity) on a legacy receiver connected to a 1000+ thru a DPP44.

Yeah... It's like the software in most receivers do not check the even polarity on a legacy 129. You can move the cables around on the switch, or even on different sides of the LNB and it still doesn't find the even for 129. Even run the cable straight from the LNB to the receiver with no switch. Same.

Of course the 1000 on a DPP44 is legacy internally for the receiver even though the switch is actually DPP.

I would have thought this problem would have been fixed by now.

211 - Legacy - Sw64 - 129 Even Don't pass check switch.

Thanks.

Any Updates? Because of LOS problems, I am using separate dishes with a SW64 and legacy LNBs. My 722 has the same problem. I run a check switch at least twice a day in hopes that the problem has been fixed but no luck so far.

Anyone heard if Dish is currently working on the problem or are there so few of us still on legacy LNBs that Dish is not going to fix this and force us to get new LNBs and switches?

If they are not going to fix the problem then they should replace with DP lnb's for free. If a DP adapter is required as well to work with the DP lnb's then they should also provide that or just swap it out with a DP receiver.

Had the same thing happen with a sw-21 connecting a dish at 119 and another one at 129 using a 3700/3900. I did a check switch again and it worked fine after that. Something had happened to cause it to do a check switch on its own to only show 119 when I showed up. I was there to do a repair to a cable that the dog chewed and that is when I had the issue.

We've had times on single tuners and other SD receivers that we have had some luck. Zero luck on HD receivers. Except on one 622 that we did the check switch the very first day of Ciel 2. Needless to say we are not going to be running any more check switches on that 622 in order to preserve its 119/110/129.

If they are not going to fix the problem then they should replace with DP lnb's for free. If a DP adapter is required as well to work with the DP lnb's then they should also provide that or just swap it out with a DP receiver.

We had this problem here a while back and they came out and replaced our dp lnb's for around $20. They tried to charge us $60 for it but I got them talked down to the $20 fee.

Has there been any progress by Dish on this issue that they started with their L618 software update? They have only themselves to blame, as now my 722 also won't accept my legacy 129 lnb (even tp's undetected) all of a sudden when i updated the check switch. I have only half my HD working!!!:mad::mad::mad:

The 129 signal reads perfect on all odd and even transponders when flipping through the transponders in the signal menu, but the 129 even tp's just WON'T register in the check switch results! I'm NOT gonna switch out my SW-64/SW-21 4-Sat setup just due to their negligence, so they can charge me for a 1000+ dish, or bind me in a long-term commitment. I also have a 2700 that's not in the mood for DP equipment upgrade. Dish better get a fix for the mess they caused me and the others still running legacy HD (129) equipment!!!

By the way, anybody find a way around this without upgrading to DP equipment?

not to sound like an ass or anything, but isnt that a little like saying
'my outlook express doesnt work with windows 95 anymore! microsoft better do something!'
but i agree, that sounds like a very frustrating problem, espicially if it occurs only after a checkswitch.

Last edited:
I have the same problem as well. It's one thing if a particular setup NEVER worked, but if a legitimate setup is no longer supported without warning that is just poor customer service.

This comes just as I get excited for the new bird @ 129W that is supposed to fix the signal strength issues in the NW only to find myself slapped in the face with the new problem.

Can't wait till FIOS comes to my neighborhood......

not to sound like an ass or anything, but isnt that a little like saying
my outlook express doesnt work with windows 95 anymore! microsoft better do something!'but i agree, that sounds like a very frustrating problem, espicially if it occurs only after a checkswitch.

No worries, but my rebuttal is for you to compare the functionality of Windows 95 to Xp/Vista, then compare the functionality of legacy and DP equipment...legacy and DP offer the same functionality..just DP has less wires, while legacy is more widely compatible. I am in the midst of building a poor-man's dish 1000+ setup, using 110,119,129, and 118 satellites. The frustrating thing is I have all my legacy equipment all in front of me, setup appropriately.

I really don't want to swap out all this equipment, but if i do have to swap it all, i have one problem..I need a separate Dishpro 118 lnb, that receives only 118 and not 119 (an alternative to buying that $80 repoint kit with the 118/119 lnb). Anybody know where to find something like that?

Last edited:
True that. Say it like it really is, he wants to be frugal. Nothing wrong with that. Can't hide behind the poor man qualifier. Sort of like when people say, "I have to go buy cigarrrettes". What they really mean is " I want to go buy some cigarettes(and trim my lifespan down some)". Funny how some things become perceived necessities.

Nick the non-smoker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts