129 Problem?

diajohn2

Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Most of my HD locals and other "stuff" is on satellite 129. I keep losing that signal when there are even moderate clouds and I have had the installation only for a couple of weeks. What should I do?

John in Denver:confused:

Re-peak your dish, first to 119, then to 129 so that all signal levels are approximately the same. Most installers peak to 119 and check that 110 and 129 are seen, regardless of signal level. You need to detune 119 just a bit to bring 129 up to stable levels.

The satellites in the sky are on a arc but the lnb's are in a straight line, so more compromise must be done to make it work. The farther north you are the more apparent the arc is and the more trouble people have with 129 (not the only reason).

Most of my HD locals and other "stuff" is on satellite 129. I keep losing that signal when there are even moderate clouds and I have had the installation only for a couple of weeks. What should I do?

John in Denver:confused:
There are parts of the country where 129 is okay, and parts where it isn't. In the Pacific Northwest, about 1200 miles NW of you, it's bad. In OKC, about 700 miles SW of you, it's good. I can see where somewhere in the middle, it could be marginal.

Even so, a little tweaking of the dish might make it better for you. My guess is that the installer maximized the signal for 119. Like Jim says, the Dish 1000 is a compromise for getting adequate signals for the three satellites.

As you know, the 61.5 satellite isn't a viable replacement for 129 in Denver.

It depends on where the customer is located but aiming to 61.5 is not a bad recommendation. I don't have LOS for 61.5 so I'm stuck with 129, I would aim at 61.5 in a hearbeat if I could.

Whenever I tuned a dish 1000, I always tuned the 119 and peaked the 129, I can say I don't remember any repeats afterwards......

Never messed with a 1000.2 so I can't comment.

If you need programming off 129 and want to add 61.5, you must disconnect 129 or the system will prefer 129 over 61.5 and you have gained nothing.

Your receiver does not pick the satellite with the best signal. It is hard coded which satellite to prefer, depending on your programming needs.

Whenever I tuned a dish 1000, I always tuned the 119 and peaked the 129, I can say I don't remember any repeats afterwards......

Never messed with a 1000.2 so I can't comment.

I tried to peak on 129 with a 1000.2 and it didn't work for me. I had to peak on 119 and then play with 129 but the best results I got was peaking on 119.

The best results we've had is to put a W-bracket on the arm and peak with a DP dual in the 129 slot. In our region we can get the signal on the strongest tranponder up to between 90 and 100.

The best results we've had is to put a W-bracket on the arm and peak with a DP dual in the 129 slot. In our region we can get the signal on the strongest tranponder up to between 90 and 100.

Ok, I have no useful info for the OP, but I had to ask. Do you guys use the W bracket from the original 1000 dish on the 1000.2 to peak it in? I didn't realize that would work.

The 1000.2 is still a crapshoot for me, a couple of times i've gotten signal strenghts around 115/100/90 on the 119/110/129 respectively, and that was on a dual tuner! Then have nothing but problems peaking it in on the next job. I'm sure it has something to do with using the internal battery on my meter, it can't seem to handle the DPP Triple when being powered by the receiver, and that lnb seriously drains my battery. The thing is a constant source of ass pain for me. I do like the extra port tho.

I'll have to see about getting my hands on a W bracket.

"Do you guys use the W bracket from the original 1000 dish on the 1000.2 to peak it in? "

The W bracket is only for the 1000, it doesn't work on the 1000.2.

"The W bracket is only for the 1000, it doesn't work on the 1000.2."

Did I misunderstand that post? Or maybe there is a W bracket designed specifically for the 1000.2?

Since 129 always has the weakest signal, it's best to tune for it from the beginning. A "W" bracket works well for both 1000 and 1000.2. Keep in mind though that there are different brackets for each dish. You can't really tune off the 1000.2 triple LNB. Unless of course , like me, you have a Super Buddy. :neener

And yes, Roadwarrior, there is a W bracket available for the 1000.2 for use in case of having to use 3 DP Duals for some reason or another.

Hold the phone a second .......A poster asks where good prices can be found on legal 622's and I post a link which is deleted because of "advertising"

Then a link to the Dishstore is posted for a similar request and is allowed to stand. What's the difference here??????? :confused:

"Since 129 always has the weakest signal, it's best to tune for it from the beginning. A "W" bracket works well for both 1000 and 1000.2. Keep in mind though that there are different brackets for each dish. You can't really tune off the 1000.2 triple LNB. Unless of course , like me, you have a Super Buddy. :neener "

Actually, I have no choice but to use the triple to point with. My meter only cost about 100 bucks, I'm sure I don't get optimal signal strength 100% of the time, but it's usually adequate. I would also like to know where to find a W bracket for this dish. I noticed that the bolt kit does come with 3 lnb screws, so I guess that means it is available. Rich88, where do you get yours? Where did the guy selling one on ebay get his??

I usually use a W bracket to check all 3 sats with a dual LNB, get all 3 peaked then replace the W bracket and install the 1000.2-get at lease 85+ on the 129

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts