129 Sat in SE AZ

quarlo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Fort Stinkin' Desert, AZ
Is there anyone out there from the Tucson or SE AZ area with 129 satellite signal problems? I've been with Dish HD (ViP 722) for about a month and the signal loss issues on 129 are driving me nuts(er). I live for live music and RAVE is viewable about as often as it snows. I'd hate to have to purchase a separate dish for one sat as my mast is fully loaded as it is. Suggestions/info/whatever gratefully welcomed.

FX

You should have no problem getting a good signal on 129 in AZ. I live in Phoenix and put in 1000.2 dishes all the time and get great signals on the 129. Usually pops 80-90 on my Birdog meter.

Your dish is either out of alignment or you have an obstructed view or some other site related issue.

I'm in north western AZ and had 129 issues initially. I had my dish repeaked and it's been fine ever since.

Dish has been realigned - twice - and there are anywhere from 20 to 80 miles of open desert from the ESE to NNW. No trees, poles, wires, buildings ... nothing. Just me on my ridge top high above the valley.

Possibly a vortex of the harmonic pervergence or a wormhole opening or ... something. :D Thanks a lot for the great info - I guess I'll have to see about another dish.

FX

You mentioned your mast is fully loaded --- any chance that your mast is moving? I would think even a slight sway or wobble could cause problems.

You mentioned your mast is fully loaded --- any chance that your mast is moving? I would think even a slight sway or wobble could cause problems.

Hmmm, I suppose if the alignment needs to be absolutely, completely and perfectly precise then perhaps. It isn't moving perceptibly (as viewed from 15' below), but if it's *that* sensitive then a dedicated dish may be my only option. I had a D* dish up there for over 7 years and never had any problems, but I realize that this is a different beast. Thanks.

FX

RAVE is viewable about as often as it snows.

Well, here in Northern Arizona, it snows all the time, and I don't have any problems with 129. :)

Seriously, it's probably impossible to diagnose things like this over the net. Every location is different.

At my house, I can't use a DISH 1000, but it's because there's no location on the south end of my house that can see all three birds! Strangely, it's 110 that causes the most problems here. I wound up using a DISH 500 to get 119/129, and a DISH 300 for 110. Definitely not an approved solution, I'm sure, but it works.

In any case, the problem isn't the bird or the dish, so...uh...good luck! Just don't be afraid to get creative. In my case, it's trees that cause problems. If your skyline is clear, I gotta assume it's an alignment issue, but who knows.

I wasn't looking for a diagnosis - just asking for other's experiences so I might know better if it's my setup or a generic problem. The dish has been realigned *twice*. Either a rash of incompetent techs or something else. I choose "B". Thanks though.

FX

I also live in NW Arizona. When I had the original Voom MPEG 2Pkg I had a D500 aimed at 61.5 and a D500 aimed at 110/119. When I upgraded to a VIP 222 and AT250 I had my installer keep both D500's, aiming one at 129. Signal levels while lower on 129 than 110/119 are still solid with no break-ups. There is a lot of wind here, and both dishes are roof mounted, and I can see a little movement in strong winds. I would consider that possibility with your pole mount as well as cable and fitting issues ( which you probably have done ). We did recently get a rare heavy rain storm here, over 2.5 inches and I never lost signal.

Thanks, I think that's the direction I'm heading in. Wind is a problem here as well and while movement (if any) is slight enough to be imperceptible from the ground, if the alignment has to be that precise in order to ensure a signal from 129 then a second dedicated dish sounds like the way to achieve that. I really appreciate the info!

FX

quarlo,
I live in Rita Ranch and have the 1000.2 installed. When I first got set up I had issues with 129. They came and realigned my dish. Helped out a ton.

I just checked my signal strength on rave and I am getting 33 on 129 transponder 23.

I am about 10 miles southeast of you in the Rincon foothills. I've had the initial install and two realignments (neither of which actually resulted in changing the position of the dish) so I have to believe something else is going on. I have the 1000 Plus dish and am either going to take it off the big mast and ground mount it on a separate pole or get another dish dedicated to 129 or all of the above. Thanks a lot for the info.

FX

No, the mast is 25' and the Dish 1000+ sits 15' up (just above the point that the mast is braced to the house). It's going to be relocated to a ground mounted pole soon just to rule out any possible movement issues (however minuscule).

FX

If your dish is only slightly above where you braces are then you should not be having movement issues. I am not sure what the difference between the 1000+ and the 1000.2 is but when they came to re-aim my dish part of the probelm was the pole was not exactaly level and that caused the skew to be quite a bit off.

I do believe that the 1000.2 is a bit wider to allow for better reception of all three sats but I am not 100% on that.

The other question I have is: what company came out and realigned you dish? My first one was a company called CAVEMAN and they did...well we shall just say a not up to my spec job. Then I actually got the folks from E* to actually come out.

What is your 129 signal strength?

If your dish is only slightly above where you braces are then you should not be having movement issues. I am not sure what the difference between the 1000+ and the 1000.2 is but when they came to re-aim my dish part of the probelm was the pole was not exactaly level and that caused the skew to be quite a bit off.

I do believe that the 1000.2 is a bit wider to allow for better reception of all three sats but I am not 100% on that.

The other question I have is: what company came out and realigned you dish? My first one was a company called CAVEMAN and they did...well we shall just say a not up to my spec job. Then I actually got the folks from E* to actually come out.

What is your 129 signal strength?

Skew can be corrected if his mast is slightly off by placing a level on the LNB arm and changing the skew back to level by moving the reflector on the skew axis until the bubble level indicates a level axis. RECORD YOUR ORIGINAL SKEW BEFORE DOING THIS. Now, check the numbers and see what they are on back. If its not 90, then the new number is effectively "the 90". So you just have to adjust to compensate. So if your "new 90" is now 85, you would subtract 5 from your original skew. So if you had a skew of 102, the new setting would be 97.

It can be a pain in the butt to do this adjustment without a good meter. As a professional tech I try to avoid this type of adjustment if at all possible but it can be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts