129 Satellite question.

ElkinHD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I've heard some people say that they are having problems with the 129 satellite, picture breakups and such.My question is ,is the 129 satellite really that bad,cause I've been thinking of switching to Dishnetwork HD and if you all are having problems I think I'll wait...:(

No Problems here. It depends how it is installed. Yes, The 129 has a lower signal strength than the 119/110 but that should not have anything to do with picture breaking up if it is pointed correct. I have a 129 dish 1000.2 and never loose signal or pixelating. If you want HD go ahead and get it, The installer will install a new dish and you can watch the signal meter on your TV while he is pointing it. Ask him/her to put the 129 signal meter on the check switch screen while he/she is pointing the dish. It's all in the installer my friend. 129 satellite in Phoenix, AZ is usually at around 55% with the signal modifications. I use a birdog meter so I tweek the signal max while I am pointing. I would say "Go For It"

I am using an old 18 in dish for 129 in Tulsa and I have strong steady readings. It was pouring rain last night and I never lost signal on any of the sats. I used to have a separate dish 500 for 129 that worked great also. My original Dish 1000 was a little weak is why I went to separate dishes when I moved.

The satellite for the 129 slot is the weak & dieing echostar 5. The foot print for this sat doesn't cover the extreme south of Texas from Victoria down and does not cover large areas of the Northeastern part of the U.S. . It barely reaches to the Northwest of the country unless you use a much bigger sat dish :24" or 30". For some it works great in the middle of the country. I have had a dish 1000 and a dish 1000.2 and a side sat dish for 129 and I finally gave up and went back to the 61.5 sat. I got tired of my recordings cutting out in the middle or the picture breaking up in the middle, if the sat wobbled out of orbit . The good news is that by this time next year - GOD WILLING - there should be a replacement sat at the 129 slot that MAY fix all the problems . I don't know if the footprint will be any wider to cover the rest of the country or not, but the strength of the sat will be constant and no wobbling of the orbit , with the replacement.

ElkinHD,

Here in Seattle (one of the fringe areas), I had problems with 129 at first.

I bought a 30 inch dish for 129 and haven't had a problem since.

It was $100 including shipping.

I've read that E* will provide a free dish in some circumstances.

Brad in Seattle

Thanks Guy's for all the info..I live in North Carolina and was just wondering if satellite 129 was really as bad as I have heard..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)