129 Signal Strength in Milwaukee, WI

Packer Bill

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
I'm a long time E* customer - thinking of upgrading through the "Dish'n It Up" program to a VIP622.

I currently have a PVR501 and a 5000 receiver (Yes-it still works!) with a Dish 500.

Have a few questions:

1. What model of dish would be installed by E* - possibly a 1000.2?
  2. Are E* customers in Milwaukee (zip 53226) getting "decent" signal from 129 sat. using a 1000.2 dish?
  3. If I call E* Tech Support, can I make arrangements to have them upgrade my Dish 500 Legacy with a Dish Pro Plus Dual LNB and ALSO install a 2nd Dish 500 aimed at 61.5 sat.?
Opinions, suggestions, comments deeply appreciated.

I'm across the state from you but use 129. Since I already had a 500 dish on my roof and couldn't leave a 500 behind when I moved, I had them put up the second 500 on my roof, so that points to 129 only. They would not point it at 61.5 though I asked about it.

I had to have them re-peak the dish a few weeks after it was installed, but reception has been fine since then.

I can't answer your other questions, but my post should bump this so others may see it and help you.

Good luck!

Charise - did they give a reason why they would NOT point the new dish at 61.5?
Also, what kind of signal strength are you now getting on 129 after they re-peaked the dish.

With all the "horror stories" I'm hearing about 129 (weak signal, "wobbling" satellite, rain fade, etc.), I'm concerned how a 1000.2 dish will perform on the 129 sat. here in Milwaukee!:(

Does anyone know WHY E* replaced the 1000 dish with the 1000.2 dish?:confused:

PS: Charise - thanks for bumping the post up.:)

I think the reason for not aiming at 61.5 was a bit specious--have to re-do something else, E* didn't allow it, or something. I obviously can't remember, but at the time I did think it was probably "installer doesn't want to" speech. :)

I'll check signal levels tonight and post--as long as I get a good picture, I don't look into the "why" very much.

FYI, bad storms yesterday, and though it was mainly clouds by evening here, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader via OTA was totally unwatchable for at least the first 15 minutes--picture was fractured, no audio. (I had recorded it.) Other shows recorded via satellite at the same time were fine.

I'll post again after checking the 129 signal level tonight, though I do know it is lower than the others I get.

I just had E* installed a few weeks ago and I live just NW of Chicago. They installed a 1000.2 and my signal strength from the installer on 129 was 65-75 on most TP's and 85 on TP 31 which is the one he was tuning to. I later done some adjustment on my dish and am now getting mid 80's on most and 102 on TP 31.

From some advice I received on here I marginally detuned 110, 119 but was able to keep them in the 90's from 100's before.

Here is my chart.

Before After
TP 6 61 77
tp 12 75 92
22 68 84
23 68 84
30 72 94
31 86 102

Last edited:
I'm in Chicago area, I get 129 at about 65-75 only, and that's the first satellite to go when it's raining. After that goes, the whole box gets confused and 110 and 119 is lost two. At least that's how it was for last year or so.
If you want 61.5 (all the channels I get - standard DISH HD package for $20 are on that satellite also), just order euronews for $1.99 a month and they will have to put 61.5. I just wanted specifically that channel, so they installed it, so I ended up with dish 1000 and dish 61.5, so I get 129 and 61.5. Now (according to installer) the box will pull HD channels from 61.5 if 129 is not available, but I'm not sure if that is true...

jseidcheck said:
I live in Milwaukee and just got a 622 with 1000.2 dish installed, and my signal from the 129 is in the upper 80s to low 90s.

From what I've read in various threads in this forum, "upper 80s to low 90s" seems pretty good for 129.
I assume you get even stronger signal strength for 110 and 119??

jseidcheck: Are you a new E* customer or was this an upgrade installation via the "Dish'n It Up" offer?
Also, who did the installation - Dish Network or a local installer?

Anyone: What is the size of the 1000.2 dish? I'm getting "conflicting reports"!
Per "Echostar Knowledge Base" at DBSTalk.com it's listed as 24"wide x 19"high.
EKB: Dish Types

However, per the "1000.2 Quick Facts" from Echostar, it's 25.9"wide x 20.7" high.
View attachment Quick_Facts_-_DISH_1000[1][1].2[1].pdf

Am I right in assuming that the dimensions given in Echostar's "1000.2 Quick Facts" is correct?

Okay, I just checked, and I am getting 110 at 98, 119 at 82, and 129 at 75 right now with a superdish.

It looks like you are getting other strengths and advice from some people who are closer to Milwaukee, so I hope that all helps. :)

Okay, I just checked, and I am getting 110 at 98, 119 at 82, and 129 at 75 right now with a superdish.

It looks like you are getting other strengths and advice from some people who are closer to Milwaukee, so I hope that all helps. :)

That 119 signal seems low. Should be around 100+

If you go onto 61.5 instead of 129, you run the risk of not receiving certain local or regional channels. E* isn't going to expect people in the Milwaukee to be on 61.5.

For example, the RSN regional sports channels. If they offer the Fox-North or the Wisconsin specific channel in HD, it would likely come off of 129.

That 119 signal seems low. Should be around 100+
I agree, but it's always been low for my locals. I rarely have a problem, so I'm not going to complain. And I did have it re-peaked in Feb of last year, and that was the best they could do apparently.

If I start having problems though, I will certainly think of that as the reason. Thanks for the feedback, Iceberg!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)