129 vs. 61.5?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
OK, in light of all of these Fox Sports Networks in HD, I should be getting channel 366 for FSNSW. However, it doesn't show up in my guide. So, I called E* technical support last night at around 1:30am and I got a very knowledgable guy who told me that my 61.5 dish should be moved to receive the 129 signal. He asked me if I had access to the dish on the roof and of course I do. So, I need to move my 61.5 single LNB dish to the 129 bird.

My questions are, what direction should I expect to turn my current 61.5 dish and will I lose ANY programming if I switch from 61.5 to 129? The tech support guy told me that I'd lose some signal strength, but it wasn't enough to give rain fade unless the weather is REALLY bad. I live in Houston, if that helps.

On the 61.5 bird, I'm getting 104...105 signal strengths. He said I should expect to get about 60-70 on the 129. Does this sound right?

I don't want to lose signal strength, but really don't want to lose other channels. And I really want FSNSW-HD.

Perhaps I should buy another dish with a single LNB, point it at 129 and upgrade my 3-input DP 34 Switch to a Dishpro Plus 44 Switch? On second thought, can the ViP 622 receive signals from three dishes?

"On the 61.5 bird, I'm getting 104...105 signal strengths. He said I should expect to get about 60-70 on the 129. Does this sound right?"

That's about right.

"My questions are, what direction should I expect to turn my current 61.5 dish and will I lose ANY programming if I switch from 61.5 to 129? "

129 will be close to where 119 and 110 is pointing. A little more to the right (if standing behind the dish) or West.

The 622 can handle 5 or 6 satellite locations. So if you want to go with a DPP44 and another dish for 129 go for it. One thing though, if you have both 129 and 61.5 the receiver will default to 129. There's no rhyme or reason why the receivers do that.

Also, perhaps I should call Dish and have them come install a Dish 1000.2. If I do that, could I get 61.5 and 129 as well as my main dish (not sure of it's sat location: Maybe 110 or 119)?

One thing though, if you have both 129 and 61.5 the receiver will default to 129. There's no rhyme or reason why the receivers do that.

Thanks Randall, for the answers. You're the man! Now, I'm not sure I understand by the receiver defaulting to the 129. Does this mean that, if I have two dishes (one pointing at 129 and one pointed at 61.5) that the receiver will simply ignore the 61.5?

Also, will I lose any programming switching from 61.5 to 129?

Yeah, if you have two dishes up one pointing at 129 and one pointing at 61.5 then the receiver will default to 129 for channels that are common between the two.

As for channels you would lose with 129 over 61.5 I am not entirely sure about this. I know that the core HD channels you get on 61.5 are also on 129 so you wont' lose those. I believe you will lose a HD Preview Channel of some sort, and possibly some religious channels if you are subscribed to those. Someone with more knowledge about this will have to chime in.

The receiver will ignore 61.5° if the same channel is there. Any unique channels to 61.5° including the PI channels ARTS, Pentagon Channel, HHS and HD Demo channel will be seen no problem.

See ya
Tony

HD Demo channel is the only HD channel at 61.5° But there are plenty of other channels at 61.5° that are not at 129°.

SPORT channels 471 472
International PPV 533
International channels in Portuguese, Russian, English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Greek, Italian, Polish, a host of south-Asian languages, Arabic, Korean, Hebrew, French, Japanese (Portions of this channel are free to air and available to all Dish receivers), and Armenian.

HD local channels for: NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC

SD local channels for: Providence, RI

Public interest channels:
652 KBS World
9402 US Dept of Health & Human Services TV
9405 Pentagon Channel
9406 ARTS
9416 Good Samaritan Network
9418 Panhandle Area Ed. Consortium

HD Demo channel 9443 (Fishtank channel)

Sky Angel Channels 9700 range (must subscribe to be able to see them in the guide)

See ya
Tony

You might want to look here for a listing of channels and satellite assignments.

It would be a shame to move from 61.5 to 129, since reception is likely to be worse on 129. But I understand that 366 is only available on 129, so what are you going to do?

You might want to look here for a listing of channels and satellite assignments.
Thanks for the link!
It would be a shame to move from 61.5 to 129, since reception is likely to be worse on 129. But I understand that 366 is only available on 129, so what are you going to do?
Why? What kind of signal strength is needed to lock to channels? Do you think I'm going to have more reception issues when using 129 vs. 61.5?

"Do you think I'm going to have more reception issues when using 129 vs. 61.5?"

Oh yeah, 129 is a POS satellite and the signals are very low. 50s, 60s and maybe 70s.

Sad to say, that is the situation. 129 has problems but I think it's 2 years away before a replacement goes up. Some folks have no problems. It seems to be more of a problem near the edges of coverage. Might see if anyone in your area has problems.

61.5 is rock solid for me, but 129......

Wow, so it looks like I can't get FSNSW-HD without 129, but if I get 129, I blank out usage of 61.5. Hmmmm.... Decisions decisions...

OK. I am REALLY frustrated right now. I tried moving my 61.5 dish over to 129, but I can't ever pick up a signal. So, I finally said SCREW IT and tried moving it back to 61.5 and now I can't pick that up either. So now I don't have either and I don't know what to do. I really need a compass. Any suggestions? My Skew, Elevation and Compass are all screwed up. This pi$$#$ me off because I was getting 104 to 105 signal strength off of 61.5 before I screwed it up.

I didn't realize this stuff had to be so damn exact. :(

Why couldn't Dish Network have just put this on 61.5? :mad:

I called customer service back and they won't provide me with a 1000.2 unless I committ AND pay $59.99. Please...I've been a customer for over 4 years and BOUGHT my 6000 (which I don't use anymore) AND 622.

I'm in SoCal and would like to move my dish thats @ 61.5 over to 129 to pickup FSN West & Prime.
622 dish pointing does not show 129 on any of the dish options (Super/300/500)
I have Dish 500 @ 110 & 119 and Dish 300 @ 61.5
how do I get it to indicate 129 and give dish settings for my zip

Thanks

OK. I am REALLY frustrated right now. I tried moving my 61.5 dish over to 129, but I can't ever pick up a signal. So, I finally said SCREW IT and tried moving it back to 61.5 and now I can't pick that up either. So now I don't have either and I don't know what to do. I really need a compass. Any suggestions? My Skew, Elevation and Compass are all screwed up. This pi$$#$ me off because I was getting 104 to 105 signal strength off of 61.5 before I screwed it up.

Should've marked it with a pencil but it's too late now. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and get your elevation and azimuth from there. Your skew is 90 for a single satellite location. The elevation is marked on the dish and the azimuth is East to West or Left to Righ if standing behind the dish.

What's your zipcode?

I'm in SoCal and would like to move my dish thats @ 61.5 over to 129 to pickup FSN West & Prime.
622 dish pointing does not show 129 on any of the dish options (Super/300/500)
I have Dish 500 @ 110 & 119 and Dish 300 @ 61.5
how do I get it to indicate 129 and give dish settings for my zip

Thanks

For 129, you can use 119 (D300) and then go a little bit to the West or to the right or you can go here and enter your city and 129 for the location:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm

Don't freak out. It's actually easy but requires patience. Do you have two people and radios/cell phones? Or can you see the TV from the dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)