$148 for 522 lease upgrade???

Jolard

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Ok, I have been monitoring the news of the newly available 522 for existing customers with some interest. My year commitment was up earlier this week, so I went in to check if I was eligible for the upgrade deal.

When I logged in, it did show I was eligible, but it said that it was going to cost $148! From reading the boards I saw some got it for $50, and most for $100, which I felt was a reasonable deal, so that it was I expected. Anyway, I called, used the option 3 for technical, and spoke to the rep. He said that yes it was $148, and that it broke down as $99 for the install, and $49 lease origination fee. I explained to him that I knew that people were getting it for $99, because many people were posting it on the boards, and he told me that I must be misinformed, because the price has always been $148 since the start of the deal, and this price is the same for everyone. I told him that he was not correct, because I knew of people who had gotten it for $99, and he told me I must be mistaken, because that price has been the same since the beginning.

Needless to say, I was kind of frustrated. I am mad that the rep was lying to me, I understand the need to make the customer believe they are getting the best deal possible, but I have a hard time when they basically call me a liar on the phone.

Anyway, what are my options, or am I just out of luck? Should I email the ceo@dishnetwork.com? Would that do any good? Or is that price the best I am going to get? I feel that $100 is actually a little high for a leased item, but $148 is ridiculous when I don't own the equipment, and I would rather buy a 522 on ebay when the lease is at that rate.

Let me know if you have any ideas!! Thanks for your help.

Chances are just simply (well it may be frustrating like earlier) that another CSR can get you in on the cheaper deal.

jlhugh said:
There were some brand new 522's on ebay for $159. That's a better deal than the one dish network is giving you.

Except that the buyer has to install it themselves! Not terrible hard, but a lot of cabling for a novice; even using diplexers only cuts out one of three needed lines to/from the box.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I saw some good deals on 522's on ebay, but the cabling was the part that concerned me a little. I already have two lines from the satellite, since I currently have two receivers, so I am assuming I would just have to run the cable that currently goes through to my second receiver, and reroute to the 522 along with the first cable. Then I would have to run some cable from the 522 to my second tv. Anything I am missing?

What about the ceo email address? Is this appropriate for them and would it make any difference? Any feedback on that would be wonderful. Thanks for everyone's help!

Jolard,

You are correct on the wiring if the 522 is going to be your only receiver. If you are going to have other receivers you will need additional equipment (DP34 switch).

I would send an e-mail to the CEO address and see if they can help you get a 522. If you do buy a 522 from eBay (or somewhere else) you MUST use the CEO address to get it activated ("regular" CSRs can not activated a 522 purchased from eBay.

If you purchase one from someone on the new be VERY careful. Some of the are "hot", some have a LOT of money due on them and other really aren't "owned" by the people seling them. Be sure that you get the receiver serial number and smartcard number and verify it with the CRO address that the receiver can be activated on your account.

Good luck working with the CEO email. My committment was up mid-January, I've been told by them that I am an "outstanding customer" (I guess that means I pay my bills on time), and I still can't even get the deal. The CEO responder stated my request is in a stack with bunches of others waiting for some almighty exec to give them the OK.

I'm also looking at the 522 buy vs. lease considerations. But I need some install help.... I currently have just one receiver. The dish is a Dish500 with two single LNB's, each with two outputs. One each of the outputs (one 119, one 110) is connected to a SW21, and then the single cable goes to the receiver.

So do I just add another cable setup like I have for the second input to the 522? RG6 and another SW21 is cheap, right? Or is some other setup and switches needed?

Thanks.

I just upgraded from a 4900 to a 522 this morning. I had a 2 dish setup (61.5 & 110/119), with 1 cable run to a single 4900.
So I thought they'd have to run a second cable from the dishes to the 522 since it has 2 satellite inputs, but much to my surprise he simply installed a 'separator' (looks like a diplexer, it has the word 'separator' on it, and the Sat1 and Sat2 icons) to split the incoming cable into 2 cables that go into the sat1 and sat2 inputs on the 522. He did have to change out the LNBFs on both dishes and he also removed the SW21 switch I had up there. Since the whole thing is up on the roof I haven't seen what the connections on the LNBFs etc. look like, but in any case, I was quite happily surprised that he didn't need to run a second cable all the way to the receiver! I thought you could only share a satellite signal with a regular TV signal on the same cable, and not 2 satellite signals. Not so! :)

BTW, I paid $99 total for the upgrade ($49 for the 522, and $50 for the install itself).

cybersonic said:
I just upgraded from a 4900 to a 522 this morning. I had a 2 dish setup (61.5 & 110/119), with 1 cable run to a single 4900.
So I thought they'd have to run a second cable from the dishes to the 522 since it has 2 satellite inputs, but much to my surprise he simply installed a 'separator' (looks like a diplexer, it has the word 'separator' on it, and the Sat1 and Sat2 icons) to split the incoming cable into 2 cables that go into the sat1 and sat2 inputs on the 522.

Interesting. I'm no expert, but I thought the only product that allowed two sat lines to be combined and later split was the DP44 switch, and that puppy is $200 at the Dishstore, so I doubt he used one of those. If this actually works, would love details on what he did.

I got my upgrade last week for $49 install and $49 equipment upgrade....and I only had one 301 receiver to start with.....they had to run a lot of wire. And they gave me a new LMB that only requires one coax to the dual tuner receiver.

Keep trying, Good Luck.

I have not verified this by checking for myself on the roof, but after some googling I think the setup is as follows:
A Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF for the 110/119 satellites (http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/store/accessories/dpptwin.html)
A DishPro compatible single LNBF for the 61.5 satellite, that feeds into the LNB IN port on the Twin LNBF (http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/store/accessories/dpdual.html).
1 RG6 cable from PORT 1 on the twin LNBF to a Dish Pro Plus Separator (http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/store/accessories/separator.html)

Looking at the prices, looks like the $50 installation fee is actually quite a good deal (I got a separator switch + a Pro Plus Twin LNBF + a Pro Plus single LNBF which would be $150 ($99 for the twin LNBF, $12 for the separator + $39 for a single LNBF).

Ok, update. I spoke to another customer service agent today, and they also quoted me the $148 price. HOWEVER, this agent did acknowledge that there were different prices for different customers, although he did not know (or at least wouldn't tell me) how the prices were determined.

I tried to get him to give me the cheaper price, but he said he could not do that, so I ended up emailing ceo@dishnetwork.com. I think it is rather unfair of dish to charge me more than everyone else for the same upgrade. Especially when it is a lease and not owned equipment. Wish me luck!

Ok, final update!!

I got a call from Dish as a result of my ceo email. They told me that they were not able to provide the cheaper price, for a couple of reasons, one was my length of time with dish (barely over a year) and the second was my location.

The rep I spoke with however was very helpful, and suggested that another option would be to buy one on ebay and activate it through her. So it looks like that is probably the way I will go.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

cybersonic: Your research is on the money - that's the ONLY configuration that can do what it's doing without an external switch box. It also means you have an available port for another receiver (Legacy or DishPro).

jloft: It sounds like you have a pair of Dual LNBFs, not Singles. This is good, and you are correct, just "clone" the existing setup and you're good to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts