15 yr DISH Convert Needs Some Help So Family Can Enjoy LD Weekend

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
:confused: I really need some help because my family is going to have a fit with no TV this weekend (it was my idea to switch to Direct)

I always used my DISH 222 at my cabin on vacation and Holidays with no problem. I now have a HR24 and H24 at my primary residence. My neighbor at the cabin has a H20 and uses a DISH LNB with a 18" dish and gets all his Direct channels off of the101 satellite. I thought I'd give it a dry run at home first to test everything out but i'm SOL at this point. I couldn't even get the current configuration and setup to make the audio noise telling me that it's hit the satellite (although the bar shows 94%). Is there a way to activate the audio when looking for a satellite? I do have MRV but not sure that makes a difference.

Last weekend I unhooked the SWRM cable from the back of my H24 and took it up to the cabin. I tried everything but couldn't get any signal at all, despite having a fairly clear line of sight to the 101. I used a regular 18" dish with both a single and dual LNB but couldn't get any sound or bar. I then switched to a 500 dish and tried both the single and dual LNB, still nothing. My neighbor couldn't figure it out either since he had no problem with his setup, so I went and picked up a Direct LNB and still nothing.

My neighbor thinks the problem might be due to the SWRM setup at home or the settings on the H24 that requires you to select which size dish you're using and the configuration that is to be used with it. I tried every combination I could think of with no results. The fact that I get no audio signal means I can't even tell if I'm getting close to the satellite.

I could really use some help on this. I don't regret making the decision to switch to Direct, but living with a family that's hooked on TV, and who has to go through withdrawls for 4 days, is going to be unbearable.

Thanks

:confused: I really need some help because my family is going to have a fit with no TV this weekend (it was my idea to switch to Direct)

I always used my DISH 222 at my cabin on vacation and Holidays with no problem. I now have a HR24 and H24 at my primary residence. My neighbor at the cabin has a H20 and uses a DISH LNB with a 18" dish and gets all his Direct channels off of the101 satellite. I thought I'd give it a dry run at home first to test everything out but i'm SOL at this point. I couldn't even get the current configuration and setup to make the audio noise telling me that it's hit the satellite (although the bar shows 94%). Is there a way to activate the audio when looking for a satellite? I do have MRV but not sure that makes a difference.

Last weekend I unhooked the SWRM cable from the back of my H24 and took it up to the cabin. I tried everything but couldn't get any signal at all, despite having a fairly clear line of sight to the 101. I used a regular 18" dish with both a single and dual LNB but couldn't get any sound or bar. I then switched to a 500 dish and tried both the single and dual LNB, still nothing. My neighbor couldn't figure it out either since he had no problem with his setup, so I went and picked up a Direct LNB and still nothing.

My neighbor thinks the problem might be due to the SWRM setup at home or the settings on the H24 that requires you to select which size dish you're using and the configuration that is to be used with it. I tried every combination I could think of with no results. The fact that I get no audio signal means I can't even tell if I'm getting close to the satellite.

I could really use some help on this. I don't regret making the decision to switch to Direct, but living with a family that's hooked on TV, and who has to go through withdrawls for 4 days, is going to be unbearable.

Thanks

To check a few early considerations:

Resetup the receiver for the 18" dish........................................................
In system setup....enter the zipcode where your are using the receiver..........
The signal sound has been disabled,....have someone on a cell as you tune.....
Set the elevation (and tilt) as directed........................................................
Verify that the mast is plumb....................................................................
Select the 101 satellite and slowly...SLOWLY..swing through the compass line..
Keep in contact with whoever is at the TV / receiver......................................

When you hit the 94% you were on the sat! Check each meter at that point;

SD programming is on the 101 and the signal is huge.
HD is on the 103...only about two degrees west (right from behind the dish). The 99 is east of the 101 about two degrees (left from behind the dish).
Adjust az (compass) as high as you can get it,,........then elevation. Set tilt for what is indicated for your zip..tuning tilt is not very useful.

I feel your pain. While doing an installation I told the kids that when I was their age all TVs had only black and white picture. There were only three or less channels from an antenna outside of town The five year old said, "Damn!...couldn't you call somebody?" Know that if you cut the power cord the kid's school grades will go up.

Joe

Last edited:
To check a few early considerations:

Resetup the receiver for the 18" dish........................................................
In system setup....enter the zipcode where your are using the receiver..........
The signal sound has been disabled,....have someone on a cell as you tune.....
Set the elevation (and tilt) as directed........................................................
Verify that the mast is plumb....................................................................
Select the 101 satellite and slowly...SLOWLY..swing through the compass line..
Keep in contact with whoever is at the TV / receiver......................................

When you hit the 94% you were on the sat! Check each meter at that point;

SD programming is on the 101 and the signal is huge.
HD is on the 103...only about two degrees west (right from behind the dish). The 99 is east of the 101 about two degrees (left from behind the dish).
Adjust az (compass) as high as you can get it,,........then elevation. Set tilt for what is indicated for your zip..tuning tilt is not very useful.

I feel your pain. While doing an installation I told the kids that when I was their age all TVs had only black and white picture. There were only three or less channels from an antenna outside of town The five year old said, "Damn!...couldn't you call somebody?" Know that if you cut the power cord the kid's school grades will go up.

Joe

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I have the dish type set at 01: Round (18") (There's several other various setups for Round 18" but this is the only one for just plain Round 18"). Also, there's 2 switch types listed (01: SWM and 02: Multiswitch) Do I use the SWM switch even though it's not connected to the SWM?

Everyhting else has been checked and rechecked several times. Azimuth 139degrees and Elevation 46 degrees, Pole is plumb. I'm gonna try to set it up at home as a tailgater (as soon as I verify the switch setting I should use) to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks for the tip on no audio. I was going crazy looking all over the place for it because the setup screen makes references to listening for the audio signal. Go figure why Direct dropped that feature; it was a handy one to have.

You're right about the kids now-a- days. If it isn't TV or the computer; then it's texting or the PS3. Back in the day, we only had to worry about the TV being in our bedroom. LOL

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I have the dish type set at 01: Round (18") (There's several other various setups for Round 18" but this is the only one for just plain Round 18"). Also, there's 2 switch types listed (01: SWM and 02: Multiswitch) Do I use the SWM switch even though it's not connected to the SWM?

Everyhting else has been checked and rechecked several times. Azimuth 139degrees and Elevation 46 degrees, Pole is plumb. I'm gonna try to set it up at home as a tailgater (as soon as I verify the switch setting I should use) to make sure I'm doing everything right. Thanks for the tip on no audio. I was going crazy looking all over the place for it because the setup screen makes references to listening for the audio signal. Go figure why Direct dropped that feature; it was a handy one to have.

You're right about the kids now-a- days. If it isn't TV or the computer; then it's texting or the PS3. Back in the day, we only had to worry about the TV being in our bedroom. LOL

The switch should be set to multiswitch. Any chance you could get your hands on a Directv dish?

I"m already using an old 18" Direct TV dish. One thing I've noticed though, is that the Direct TV System setup calls for Az of 139 and El of 46 for zip code 92382. When I went to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com it shows the following information for the dish setup. Elevation 46.6 degrees; Az (true) 152.8 degrees; Az (magnetic) 140.3 degrees; LNB skew -22.2 degrees. This information is a lot different than what Direct setup says I'm looking for. Any idea which Az and El figures I should be working with? Also, how important is that Skew number? seems to me that shouldn't be a problem with a round dish but could be important if the dish were oblong.

Last edited:
I"m already using an old 18" Direct TV dish. One thing I've noticed though, is that the Direct TV System setup calls for Az of 139 and El of 46 for zip code 92382. When I went to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com it shows the following information for the dish setup. Elevation 46.6 degrees; Az (true) 152.8 degrees; Az (magnetic) 140.3 degrees; LNB skew -22.2 degrees. This information is a lot different than what Direct setup says I'm looking for. Any idea which Az and El figures I should be working with? Also, how important is that Skew number? seems to me that shouldn't be a problem with a round dish but could be important if the dish were oblong.

The skew is only for multi lnb dishes. Try both of the azimuth settings, one of them should work.

As a sidenote, the apartments right next to the call center I know advertises "Discounts for Direct TV Employees" on one of those large printed banners. That hurts my OCD. Agreed that pointing it out here does nothing to help though.

Snoozer, raoul has the right info. Just take it slow and good luck!

The different azimuth settings are due to the way maps are designed. The TRUE setting (152.8) is the line on a map that will get you to the 110 satellite. The TRUE line of zero will get you to the north pole. The MAG (140.3)setting is the compass course to the 110 satellite. There are local deviations in the earth's magnetic field that will swing a compass a little as you move along the magnetic course. So use the magnetic setting...pick a spot out in the distance and aim at that.

Having said that, know that the az for the SD dishes is the line to the 110 satellite. The earliest rigs just used the satellites at 101, 110 & 119 WEST longitude so they just published the middle line to the 110. The 101 is nine degrees east......... or 131.

As the usage of the 110 & 119 decreased the HD sats...Slimline are now using the 101 as the center bird.

It will all come out the same. A clear Line of Sight (LOS) to SW will give you a signal. Set the el to the published setting and swing slowly from 180 (DUE SOUTH) to 270 (DUE WEST) and you will hit it. If you do not get a signal swing back more slowly to 180. IF you still do not get a signal...raise the el three degrees and repeat.....then go back to the original setting and do it again lowering the el three degrees.

The published lines are pretty accurate...if the mast is plumb. If the mast is not plumb you may not ever hit it. The zip code where the unit is being used will have different settings from your home if the distance is significant,,,+ / - fifty miles.
The satellites are 32,000 miles out there...their footprint is CONUS (Continental United States). They don't move..but you gotta point at them.

Disregard the skew for the round dish...that just aligns the multisat dishes to the same plane as all five satellites.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)