150 unit FTA system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm preparing a quote for an old folks apartment complex. The owner is interested in anything with no monthly bill. I'm thinking OTA diplexed with 97W would offer the most bang for the buck. They asked about C-band, but there is no way those channels can be worth the $$$ I'd charge to install a bud. (Or am I wrong?)

So the big question is, how to amp/split the signals to all those units. If that's even possible. I've never done anything like it. I'm counting a loss of 28dB, not counting line losses (I hope they have RG6). Anyone have any hardware or configuration suggestions?

He wants to give each tennent the option to buy a FTA receiver and have OTA.

i set up 2 systems for 2 people for some basic FTA. they were helpless about it when i started, a year later they are still helpless, they would not bother to learn anything about it.
i can only imagine a an apartment complex filled with folks that cannot delete dead channels or scan in new ones.....
food for thought...
odds are he will be doing a lot of visiting...
i apologize that i dont have a good answer.

I would phone up Brian at SatelliteAV.
I'm sure he's faced the problem, and has simple solutions.

Depending on local OTA offerings, you might add an extra Ku dish or two.
I'm thinking PBS, but if you have Spanish speaking residents, there could be other birds. ;)

PS: I don't see diplexing a lot of OTA channels as anything I would want to do.

Choose 4, 12, 24, 36, 48 etc of FTA channels from any satellite and modulate them along with local terrestrial channels. The viewer will only need to change channels on their own TV and you won't need to worry about multi-switches, bandstacking, minimal concern about coax integrity and trying to keep 150 FTA receivers updated and working.

I couldn't imagine trying to support hundreds of FTA receivers especially for the elderly. Just the remote operation would lose most!

Much more simple to distribute using low and mid band CATV channels than distributing satellite frequencies. A rough estimate would be approx $500 per channel for QAM or $300 for analog.

We can help you choose between analog or digital distribution and source the appropriate equipment.

Choose 4, 12, 24, 36, 48 etc of FTA channels from any satellite and modulate them along with local terrestrial channels. The viewer will only need to change channels on their own TV and you won't need to worry about multi-switches, bandstacking, minimal concern about coax integrity and trying to keep 150 FTA receivers updated and working.

I couldn't imagine trying to support hundreds of FTA receivers especially for the elderly. Just the remote operation would lose most!

Much more simple to distribute using low and mid band CATV channels than distributing satellite frequencies. A rough estimate would be approx $500 per channel for QAM or $300 for analog.

We can help you choose between analog or digital distribution and source the appropriate equipment.

What are the legalities in redistributing channels like that in an apartment complex in the United States? I know here in Canada, the building would need to be approved and pay for a MDU (i.e. Multi Dwelling Unit) license from the CRTC (i.e. Canadian equivalent of the FCC) for such a system as you are essentially creating a small cable provider for the residents.

These rules are in place to prevent apartment complexes to illegally resell channels by modulating channels obtained from residential cable or satellite accounts to their residents. This has happened in the past where an apartment complex was actually forcing people to get TV from them by preventing residents from obtaining their own cable or satellite subscription. The whole operation was ran using several residential satellite TV accounts from both DTH providers here in Canada.

As long as permission is obtained from the FTA broadcaster and the channels are distributed free of charge for private viewing in a private facility, there are no additional requirements.

It would be much different if the management was to charge for the private CATV service or were to distribute programming intended for single TV (residence) viewing or without broadcaster permission.

Last edited:
Well, I sent a link with all FTA English channels and their orbital locations, and he "was 'shocked' that I said 97W was the only satellite that free to air". Please note, I never said that. Then he asked why he should have to pay for new switching equipment when he already had splitters for every unit in the building. It came down to the fact that his basic reading comprehension abilities were such that I couldn't effectively communicate the necessary information. I told him to go with a system from his local cable company.

Ah well, it was fun to think about it!

Can't say: moron

...that would not be politically correct.
Instead, let's go with:
- under informed
- information challenged

Your guy sounds like someone who shops at Radio Shack,...
...and relies on them for technical advice. ;)

"splitters" ... ha ha ha!

I once got roped into building and installing computers at a friends video store.
You're better off without the headaches. ;)

As long as permission is obtained from the FTA broadcaster and the channels are distributed free of charge for private viewing in a private facility, there are no additional requirements.

It would be much different if the management was to charge for the private CATV service or were to distribute programming intended for single TV (residence) viewing or without broadcaster permission.

I dont even think you need permission if the signal is up there unencrypted and your not charging for it. Its really no different than an OTA broadcast.

Well, I sent a link with all FTA English channels and their orbital locations, and he "was 'shocked' that I said 97W was the only satellite that free to air". Please note, I never said that. Then he asked why he should have to pay for new switching equipment when he already had splitters for every unit in the building. It came down to the fact that his basic reading comprehension abilities were such that I couldn't effectively communicate the necessary information. I told him to go with a system from his local cable company.

Ah well, it was fun to think about it!

I do alot of commercial quotes, and the upfront cost is usually a shocker when it comes to the independant owners and operators at these types of facilities.

When dealing with a big hospital, and its not their money, they do not seem to care as much and simply.

If your looking for a used headend, I may have one soon :)

.....I once got roped into building and installing computers at a friends video store.
You're better off without the headaches. ;)

You reminded me of a video store I patronized on Guam. He was having problems with his Novell network, back when I was up to speed. As I started to explain how easy it would be to fix his problem, I learned it was not quite so - he had an "informal" network setup, put in place by a "friend."

I install a lot of systems in multi-unit hotels, motels, etc. My benchmark is 10 units. If the place has 10 or fewer units, I'll put digital boxes in the unit, but more than that I will only install a headend. The handholding that the frontdesk staff must do with sat remotes, tv inputs, etc is a big deal and with more rooms comes more handholding/tech support. Most people can only handle channel up/channel down/volume up/volume down. Theses are all commercial accounts, so Shaw takes care of the monthly charges.

Maybe an apartment building can handle the learning curve, but probably not. I guess if the landlord is looking for another thing to take care of... Another question is - what do you do when they want Discovery or movie channels?

I only install new equipment, but lots of used analog headend equipment is available in larger quantities all the time as systems are going completely digital.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)