16:9 format and audio problems

VoomNewbie

Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I just setup my voom receiver with a amplified HDTV antenna connected to my new Syntax Olevia 32" LCD TV. I'm in Dallas, TX. I scanned all the channels. Only two came in as HD the rest were SD (digital). I'm using component cables until I get my DVI in the mail. Using audio patch cables and the audio is not clear. Its not really static sounding more like an echo or something like that.

The video comes in fine. On HD channels though its not displaying in 16:9 format, only in 4:3. I have the voom setup as 1080i. The SD channels are widescreen (16:9). Any ideas on these two issues? I'm getting about 85-90 signal quality.

VoomNewbie said:
I just setup my voom receiver with a amplified HDTV antenna connected to my new Syntax Olevia 32" LCD TV. I'm in Dallas, TX. I scanned all the channels. Only two came in as HD the rest were SD (digital). I'm using component cables until I get my DVI in the mail. Using audio patch cables and the audio is not clear. Its not really static sounding more like an echo or something like that.

The video comes in fine. On HD channels though its not displaying in 16:9 format, only in 4:3. I have the voom setup as 1080i. The SD channels are widescreen (16:9). Any ideas on these two issues? I'm getting about 85-90 signal quality.
Actually.. it is in 16x9. When they broadcast SD content on the HD channel you see the pillar-boxed video.

When they are broadcasting 4:3 content (480i or 480p), it is stretching the 4:3 frame to fill the 16x9 screen. If you don't want it to stretch it, you can fit that.

Go to Voom --> Green --> Green and then choose option #1 titled 'Picture format'

Narrow to Wide set to 'Stretch' will stretch the 4:3 video to fill the 16x9 frame. Pillar box will pillar box it like you are seeingon the HD channels.

The Wide to Narrow Setting is interesting too. This sets how the 480i output formats the 16x9 into the 4x3 frame.

When I had Voom I had 2 HD sets and one SD set. One the SD set I set the Wide to Narrow to 'Letterbox' and it letterboxed the 16x9 frame like a widescreen DVD.

Now that voom is no more I've changed the wide to narrow setting to 'Squeeze' which crams the 16x9 video into a 4:3 frame. Why? So I can record HD OTA with my Tivo and play it back in Widescreen. When my TV stretches the 4:3 frame backout it's perfectly proportioned.

The other option is crop which basicly zooms and crops the picture. bleh!

Try to catch the tonight show on your NBC affiliate. It will look REAL nice in HD and you'll see your full 16x9 video frame.

I'm not sure what's up with your audio. there are some tweaks you can do in that same munu for the audio too.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts