16:9 with borders

KenB123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Northern Illinois
I occassionally receive HD stations that display in 16:9 mode, but do not fill the entire screen. Instead, the picture is a smaller sized display with black borders around the entire picture (much like a 4:3 picture would be on widescreen set, but with black bars also on the top and bottom, as well as the sides). This occurred last night with 'Dateline NBC'. Sometimes with 'Survivorman' HD. My set is a 52" LCD widescreen panel.

Anybody care to explain what is occurring?

I occassionally receive HD stations that display in 16:9 mode, but do not fill the entire screen. Instead, the picture is a smaller sized display with black borders around the entire picture (much like a 4:3 picture would be on widescreen set, but with black bars also on the top and bottom, as well as the sides). This occurred last night with 'Dateline NBC'. Sometimes with 'Survivorman' HD. My set is a 52" LCD widescreen panel.

Anybody care to explain what is occurring?

This is sometimes referred to as "Postage Stamp". I have noticed it on some re-runs of The Office lately. It is a program that was shot in HD, but is not being broadcast in HD and is being watched on an HD channel, so not only do you get pillar boxing that you would get when watching a non-HD program on an HD channel, you get the letter boxing that you would get when watching a HD program on a non-HD channel as well.

Is there a confused emoticon?

Yea, it is a re-run, so I don't get too upset. I'm sure in the next couple weeks everything will start come back in it full high Definition glory.

Plus it's not E*'s fault that NBC is not broadcasting the show in HD. I guess you could write your local NBC affiliate a letter.

Only my favorite smiley of them all... :confused:

And good job with that explanation by the way, it's very rare these days to see people take the time to use the proper terms... i.e. instead of just saying "bars on the sides" and "bars on the top and bottom" etc. :)

And good job with that explanation by the way, it's very rare these days to see people take the time to use the proper terms... i.e. instead of just saying "bars on the sides" and "bars on the top and bottom" etc.
Well, as the poster of the 'improper' term usage you quoted, where might I ask does does one find out what are the 'proper' terms?

This very topic was addressed recently on the "Ask the Manager" thread of the viewer forum on Illinoishomepage.net :: View topic - Small Picture. This is the website for Champaign, Illinois, TV stations WCIA and WCFN.

AuthorMessage
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:45 pm Post subject: Small Picture Why is your video not filling my screen tonight. I have Insight Cable in Champaign and other channels are fine. Yours has a black bar around the entire screen. It's not just on the top and bottom like wide screen format, its all around the screen.

rhamilton
Site Admin
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:17 pm Post subject: Because there is an encoder that went down and we have to order in a new encoder.

spacer.gif
Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:18 pm Post subject: Hey, you just fixed it! Thanks!

Well, as the poster of the 'improper' term usage you quoted, where might I ask does does one find out what are the 'proper' terms?
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize I had used the same wording you did in my example... My response wasn't intentionally directed at your post. There's nothing wrong with using 'improper' terms when asking a question, in fact it's usually to be expected.

I was referring to how helpful it is when someone uses the right terms and wording when giving an answer. It just helps explain things much better when they do. :)

Anyway, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, KenB123. :)

I was referring to how helpful it is when someone uses the right terms and wording when giving an answer. It just helps explain things much better when they do. :)

Anyway, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, KenB123. :)

Thanks.

And I did like the 'proper' term usage by adavis720 also. I have to remember these:
  • Postage Stamp
  • Pillar boxing
  • Letter boxing

This is sometimes referred to as "Postage Stamp". I have noticed it on some re-runs of The Office lately. It is a program that was shot in HD, but is not being broadcast in HD and is being watched on an HD channel, so not only do you get pillar boxing that you would get when watching a non-HD program on an HD channel, you get the letter boxing that you would get when watching a HD program on a non-HD channel as well.

Looks like the History Channel in HD is going to have this effect, just like A & E in hd does. I really hate the black bars. If I am going to buy a 57 " hd tv I want all 57 inches filled with a picture.

Looks like the History Channel in HD is going to have this effect, just like A & E in hd does. I really hate the black bars. If I am going to buy a 57 " hd tv I want all 57 inches filled with a picture.

The show right now on Hist HD is full screen for me. If we're lucky it'll just keep getting better as more things are produced.

Maybe it depends on the program. I know that with A & E you get a lot of black bars and very little origional programming in hd .

On my Dish remote, in the lower left corner of the channel number buttons is a "*" button that says "format" above it. On my 622 pressing this zooms the postage stamp pictures to full frame.

On my Dish remote, in the lower left corner of the channel number buttons is a "*" button that says "format" above it. On my 622 pressing this zooms the postage stamp pictures to full frame.

With regretable lose of picture quality.

Be sure to complain to the channel provider if they use "postage stamp" on a regular basis. Most will start fixing it. I accept Pilar box/letter box as normal if the source material was narrower or wider than 16x9.

History HD (us) will apparently show some this way, hopefully only for a few weeks. The first mega disasters that I saw was postage stamped as is Comets: Prophet of doom right now. But in between I saw at least one, Mega Disasters:Mega freeze was in proper 16x9 HD.

I would agree there if it was just one or the other (letter or pillared) but when it's both you have to use the "zoom" not just the stretch, and that is hell on the picture. :down

I would agree there if it was just one or the other (letter or pillared) but when it's both you have to use the "zoom" not just the stretch, and that is hell on the picture. :down

This is true but it is not a concern of Dish or it's equipment designers. As has been said it's the fault of the content provider. That's who needs to hear from you if the image size or quality offends you. As I've heard Charlie and his cronies say on several Chats "We can only give you what the content provider gives us."

This is true but it is not a concern of Dish or it's equipment designers. As has been said it's the fault of the content provider. That's who needs to hear from you if the image size or quality offends you. As I've heard Charlie and his cronies say on several Chats "We can only give you what the content provider gives us."

Total agreement. If I really want to watch it I deal with OAR and uneven phosphor wear or a stretch it out and lose 25% of the picture.

Any HD is better than no HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts