18" ODU- Used as "OLD" Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

semperfi19

Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Sparta, TN
Can an individual that does not have an old antenna get an old dish and utilize it as the antenna to pick up few channels on TV. If so, HOW? Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

are you talking about picking up regular local stations over the air? if so then no. WAY different setup.

if you are talking about to pick up some free satellite channels, then check out the free to air forum here, you will need a sat RX, but you can do it.

There were, and still are, antennae that were presented as "clip on" antenna to allow customers to pick up analog stations. Them days are gone. Even when these things were installed the were highly linear. AND you could not turn the dish to get the local analog station.

Know that the parabolic dish design is NOT usable by analog or digital technology except as the satellite down link applies.

Joe

Those clipon antennas were not actually bad assuming that you live north of where the broadcast towers are. Have a friend who lives north of me and is past where all the local stations broadcast from and he gets all the channels with one ofthos annoying clip one things. I live a similar distant south of the towers and thos things are useless even when I point the dish north it still pretty useless. Thought when i point it north i do get about half the stations in strong enough so they dont break up. But they are still pretty flipping useless.

I installed one of those clip on (TERK) antenna's on someone's satellite dish and with their digital convertor box they got several channels. I was shocked. They were north of the broadcast towers so there must be some truth in what stonecold is saying. They were 40-50 miles away from them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)