$19.95 Stand-alone HD Package?

j2kirby7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
Can anyone share official info on the stand-alone HD package referred to in the Charlie Chat?

I had an apology note in my on-line Dish account for the price increases talked about in a letter that I supposedly received...NOT! There was a feedback box on the account also...I sent the following feedback, hoping for a straight answer.;)

I have not received any letter from Dish but I have been watching the Charlie Chats. It was stated in the HD Chat that a stand-alone HD package would be available for $19.95. I do not see a stand-alone HD package listed in the package prices on this site. What is the status on the $19.95 stand-alone HD package? Thank you!

I found the info under my Dish Network account. Log in to your account and select HD Programming on the left. The info you want is at the bottom. Here is what is listed:

DishHD (HD Stand Alone Pack)
DISH Network introduces the best in high definition programming-DishHD. DishHD packages combine your favorite standard definition programming with the best variety of high definition programming, including sports, movies, family entertainment, news and variety. Plus in select markets get your local channels in high definition!
$29.99

he $29.99 price is without locals. Add $6 if you want locals also.

Thanks Dishpointer! My main question to Charlie was "what happened to the $19.95 price you quoted in the HD Chat?" :D :(

Does anyone know if you can purchase Season Tickets like ESPN Gameplan and Full Court with just the HD stand alone package? IIRC, D* required some minimum level of programming to purchase Season Ticket packages. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

They charge an access fee on the existing $15 HD package if you don't take one of the qualifying Basic Packages. No reason to think there won't be an access fee on the new $30 HD package as it has been declared a non-qualifying package.

kirby is right, hd only pack is not qualified programming, so the $6 access fee applies

If the access fee is true, then there is no $30 HD only pack, for it would be impossible to buy it for $30/month.

I think since the add the HD Pak for $20 on top of AT60, then the $10 increase for the standalone pack should be considered the access fee. So I'm not convinced that they are going to add another $6 on.

I don't think the following completely answers the question but it implies if you don't sub to at least the Bronze, there is a $6 per month fee:

"HD Enabling Fee: A $6.00 per month HD enabling fee will charged to your account if any model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver is activated and enabled with the capacity to receive high definition programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna). This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum, DishLATINO HD Bronze, DishLATINO HD Silver, DishLATINO HD Gold, or DishLATINO HD Platinum"

Here is the Stand-alone package description...I don't see it in the list of packages where the $6 fee is waived:

"DishHD (HD Stand Alone Pack)
DISH Network introduces the best in high definition programming-DishHD. DishHD packages combine your favorite standard definition programming with the best variety of high definition programming, including sports, movies, family entertainment, news and variety. Plus in select markets get your local channels in high definition! $29.99 "

Last edited:
It does read as though someone will be hit with both $6 enabling fee and the $10 HD markup for the standalone HD Pak.

Pretty steep fees from Dish on this one. It works out to an 80% markup over someone with AT60 getting HD. Options would be to get HD only for $36/month or HD Bronze for $50.

no you only get hit with a $6 service access fee if you don't have a programming pack. You don't get charged the HD enabling fee because you have the HD pack.

$6 fees

Tom Bombadil said:
Without the $6 enabling fee, the $30 standalone HD pack isn't a bad deal, especially for someone who can get their HD locals via OTA.

If you get the HD standalone package for $30, wouldn't you have to add the $6 lease fee
and the $6 DVR fee if you get a 622?

The DVR fee can be waived with a qualifying package and I guess the Lease fee is waived on the First leased receiver?

So the HDPAK minimum would be $30 plus $6 DVR . IS this correct?

I guess you have to add the ACCESS fee if the Standalone is not a qualifying package for a total of $42. If they add a lease fee it is $48. Thats a big jump from $20.

Last edited:
j2kirby7 said:
"HD Enabling Fee: A $6.00 per month HD enabling fee will charged to your account if any model 411, ViP211 or ViP622 DVR receiver is activated and enabled with the capacity to receive high definition programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna). This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum, DishLATINO HD Bronze, DishLATINO HD Silver, DishLATINO HD Gold, or DishLATINO HD Platinum"

Where did you find this?

Sounds like the $30 hd pack has to pay a $6 access fee and the $6 HD enable fee. Considering its already $10 more than the bundled price it should include those fees

kb7oeb said:
Sounds like the $30 hd pack has to pay a $6 access fee and the $6 HD enable fee. Considering its already $10 more than the bundled price it should include those fees

I could be mistaken, but I think the $6 HD enable fee, is waved with the HD standalone pack, you just have to pay the $6 access fee, which would make the standalone HD pack $35.99 or $40.99 w/locals. Even if you have to pay the $6 HD enable fee, it would be $41.99 or $46.99, kind of pricey either way but still $8 - 14 cheaper then HD Bronze.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)