1920x1080 vs 1366x768 - HD vs HD-Lite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

davej

Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
With all the talk of HD vd HD-Lite I have question....

How much of a difference is there between HD and HD-Lite when viewed on a 1366x768 LCD? I understand that when viewed on a 1920x1080 it's very apparent...but about on a 'lesser' monitor? I have a feeling that the majority of HD viewers are viewing at less than 1920x1080.

Thanks.

Davidj.

Well, in my experience, I have both types of sets. It is very noticeable on my 1920x1080 set, but my other tv is newer LCD and only does 1366x768 and while it might be psychological, I can still see a difference. I'd ask my wife, but she doesn't care for the most part.

It is very noticible on both my 1080i 61" Hitachi RPTV and 720p Panasonic projector (106" screen).
But if HD-lite will be limited only to Voom then I can handle it for a while. But if it will spread to other chanels from HD-pack and HBO HD, Showtime HD then I will think about switching to another provider.
This week started on high note, I was happy after Monday chat. Then it was a depressive Wednesday and I don't even sure if I will update one:)eek: ) receiver or switch.

Minsk1....what resolution are your displays?

I 'think' I see a difference too, SatinKzo...but I'm not 100% sure because I can't really do a 'before and after'.

Dj.

I have a 1280 x 1024 30" monitor. The difference is most obvious on the paintings in Voom Gallery and in the wrinkles on faces in Voom Rave Soundstage and maybe on some of Equator for me.

I am watching at 8' from monitor. But if I go back to 12' then I cannot tell the difference.

Last edited:
Am I wasting my time thinking about getting a 1080p DLP HDTV since my only choice is Dish or Direct and they both do HD-lite. I was planning getting my first HDTV this spring.
Thanks

OTA and the new DVD formats will keep you happy until D* and E* get their stuff up to snuff.. E*'s HD pack would be a good one also.

and we have no assurance that hd dvd will be full HD without so much compression that you might want a lessor display just to "filter" it out...

i bought a 480p plasma last year for this very reason. until the conversion is far further along, it is a great solution. 480p HD content looks great, yet 480i and DVD also look damn good. Can't say the same for many higher resolution displays these days.

btw not only is dish doing lite on some channels, but they are doing more compression than they used to on others, even when "against the law" like CBS west. I noticed 2 years ago the degradation in HDCBS west one day over what it used to look like, and the quality was never bumped back up. it's higher compression, and it shows. :(

I have an Infocus projector with native resolution of 854x480 so all HD material goes thru some form of manipulation to be displayed. I can easily see a big difference between my OTA HD Channels, Discovery HD, or HDNET Movies and the Voom channels. Voom is just soft and fuzzy and lacking detail. I also have a movie on my DVR recorded when Monsters was true HD and when I compare that to HD Lite version it's an eye opener.

You don't need a 1080p display to see the difference between HD and HD Lite or to be able to appreciate true HD. Yes a 1080p display would really show True HD in all it's glory, but even on my projector there is big difference.

I would rather have 5 voom channels in HD than 15 in HD Lite.

BremenHusker said:
Am I wasting my time thinking about getting a 1080p DLP HDTV since my only choice is Dish or Direct and they both do HD-lite. I was planning getting my first HDTV this spring.
Thanks

I don't think so, mine does a great job of upconverting everything. That is actually the reason I bought it. It had the best overall picture of everything I looked at. SD looks good and so does HD.

The only thing on Dish that is "HD-Lite" is the VOOM stuff. I really think this problem will be fixed. CBSHD-East is being downconverted to 1440x1080i, but I think this will also be fixed. All other HD on Dish is being sent at it's native res.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)