1H/2J + 322, can it be done?

honkerdown

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Nebraska
Finally, after 3 years of working on a major renovation of our house, we are finishing off the final project, the Man Cave! In doing so, we are adding a 5th TV to our current 2 322 setup, looking to add HD/DVR via a 1HwS/2J system, replacing one of the 322s.

The CSR I chatted with yesterday said it couldn't be done, it had to be an all H/J system or go with the older tech. She quoted me a 1H/4J system, but I have discovered and confirmed here, that the only way I could get the 5 TV setup to work would be a 2H/3J setup. Two of the TVs are small SD units in kids bedrooms, so I really don't need the HD/DVR for those, so a 1H/2J + 322 system would work.

My current setup is a Dish TurboHD with 3 coax running to a wiring closet. In that closet 2 of the 3 coax are hooked to the inputs of 2 DPP Triplexers, which are then ran to the 322s. All cabling in the house is new and also runs to this closet.

In one of the wiring diagrams I have seen, it uses a switch & power injector in front of a Duo Node to hook a Tailgator/VIP Receiver into the system. Would it technically be possible to do something similar to that to incorporate a 322?

Thanks in advance for any help, the knowledge here is awesome!

IMG_20130531_121343_623.jpgIMG_20130531_121400_120.jpgIMG_20130531_121354_936.jpgIMG_20130531_121603_801.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies. So a possibility would be going with w 1H/3J + 211, provided I purchase the 211?

I do have an old 1 tuner receiver that the previous owner of my home left behind, but I am 99% sure it is not a 211.

Your best setup would be a 2H/3J. You'll have twice the tuners to work with plus a backup if a Hopper died.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your current (2) 322 setup costs $14/mo. The cheapest monthly cost you'll see, if you add a 211 w/DVR conversion ($40 one time charge) is $14 + $7 = $21/mo. If you don't already have HD Free for Life, adding HD may cost you $10. There used to be ways around that $10, though, e.g. through paperless billing and autopay. I also like the 612, which is an HD/DVR with one output. Adding this instead of a 211 would incur a $7 DVR fee + $10 extra receiver fee, or $31.

The next more expensive option might be (2) 722's and (1) 211, which is, ah, $7 DVR fee + $17 + $7 extra receiver fees or $31/mo. There are many permutations possible, e.g. (1) 322, (1) 722, and (1) 211. The (2) 722s give you HD on two sets, and 2 SD outputs.

The Hopper is the most expensive of all. 2H3J would be $10 DVR fee + $12 (2nd Hopper) + (3) Joeys X $7 = $43. The benefit of this solution is you can (when you want) have HD on all outlets.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your current (2) 322 setup costs $14/mo. The cheapest monthly cost you'll see, if you add a 211 w/DVR conversion ($40 one time charge) is $14 + $7 = $21/mo.
Correct, (2) 322 is $14/mo. I would consider the 211 w/DVR upgrade, but the Wife has been seeing the whole house DVR commercials and wants that functionality, just not to pay for it.
If you don't already have HD Free for Life, adding HD may cost you $10. There used to be ways around that $10, though, e.g. through paperless billing and autopay.
The rep said once I sign up, there will be a free HD for life offer in mydish that I can sign up for to remove the $10 HD fee. Why they don't just do this from the get-go is beyond me.
I also like the 612, which is an HD/DVR with one output. Adding this instead of a 211 would incur a $7 DVR fee + $10 extra receiver fee, or $31.

The next more expensive option might be (2) 722's and (1) 211, which is, ah, $7 DVR fee + $17 + $7 extra receiver fees or $31/mo. There are many permutations possible, e.g. (1) 322, (1) 722, and (1) 211. The (2) 722s give you HD on two sets, and 2 SD outputs.

The Hopper is the most expensive of all. 2H2J would be $10 DVR fee + $12 (2nd Hopper) + (3) Joeys *$7 = $43. The benefit of this solution is you can (when you want) have HD on all outlets.
I'm just exploring options to keep the Finance Committee happy and try to give the functionality she is looking for. ;) Thanks for the help.

They don't offer FREE HD for life from the get go because they count on some people either forgetting to go through the process or otherwise don't follow through, so they have at least some people paying them $10 extra per month who don't need to, unless they don't like the Free HD for life terms. It's like the rebates and coupons that many companies offer. It has been said for decades that those parties should just lower the price, but they aren't going to because they like those who can't be a couponer or be diligent about the rebate--before it expires. Dish is just par for the course.

I still laugh at the quote from an Dish commercial where Charlie states with an almost stentorian voice, "HD has been free and always will be." WHAT? Who wrote that one and Charlie really said with the most serious face of pride. There wasn't even an asterisk with tiny writing underneath to qualify his statement. What a HOOT!

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the feedback and answers. Ended up going with a 2H/3J system, which is to be installed tomorrow by our local Dish franchisee.

In talking with them, they already are going to love the install. Already have a "TurboHD" Dish installed with 3 RG6 run to a central wiring closet, which is where the Hoppers will go. One SD TV will be fed by an RF modulator, all other TV's will be fed by the other Hopper or the Joeys. Should be a pretty simple swap job since they will already have the systems fired up and updated at their shop.

Thanks to all for the feedback and answers. Ended up going with a 2H/3J system, which is to be installed tomorrow by our local Dish franchisee.

In talking with them, they already are going to love the install. Already have a "TurboHD" Dish installed with 3 RG6 run to a central wiring closet, which is where the Hoppers will go. One SD TV will be fed by an RF modulator, all other TV's will be fed by the other Hopper or the Joeys. Should be a pretty simple swap job since they will already have the systems fired up and updated at their shop.

Do you have HDMI runs from the wiring closet to the TVs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)