1k4 dish "LNB IN" from switch?

meph

Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Hi..
i have a 1k4 dish working perfectly. I'm trying to add 118.7 signal by setting up a dish 500+ and hooking it up to the "LNB IN" on the 1k4, but i think i am blocked by a tree because i am having difficulty getting a signal.

I live in an attached house and my neighbor 2 houses over has 2-500+ Dish's pointed at 118.7. I asked them and they are getting signal fine.
I was wondering if i could piggyback their signal to mine. I already spoke with them and they are ok with it as long as it doesn't interfere with their service. The only problem is that both of their Dish500+ feed to 2 different switches.

My question is, Is it ok to connect from their switch to my 1k4 LNB in?

Will not work.

Not so fast!

There is a possibility here. If the switch that is being used by your neighbor is a DPP44 or a DP34, there is a 'pass thru' port on the right side for each orbital input. If you run a cable from that pass thru to the LNB IN on your 1000.4 LNB and run a check switch, you should see 118.7 on the matrix in port 4. The difficulty in doing this may be in the length of the cable. The longest recommended length for cable from a 'wing' dish is 80 feet. If your neighbor is 2 houses over, it will probably be much farther than that. But you could still try it. If the neighbor's dish is well pointed for 118.7, you should have usable signal with this setup.

Now, there are reasons why this would not be recommended by an installer. Each account is supposed to have its own dishes. Sharing among different accounts is not allowed, but it does work. Also, be aware that if it is a 44 switch, and the power inserter stops working, you will lose the signal from 118.7. But if you are sure that a dish of your own will not have line of sight, I'd give this a try.

that is correct, use the 'additional switch' passthrough to your lnbb. make sure you grab the correct port for 118.

Thanks guys.. it worked... i definitely dont have a line of sight.... theres a big tree in the next block over blocking it. The neighbors house are unaffected... only 50ft away..... go figure.
Apparently one of the 2 500+ satellites is from the neighbor on the other side that also seem to be blocked.

I'm not an electrician. But aren't they sharing grounds and electric and that could be a problem?:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)