2:00-3:00 PM Signal Loss on Directv Slimline 3 with SWiM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directvfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Virginia
Hope someone can help with this issue. For the past couple of days at around 2:00 pm until 3:00 pm I lose satellite signal. It's sporadic within this time frame. I have an HR24-100, an H20-100, and a D12 Standard receiver. All three of them go blank with the 771 error. When I check the signal strength during the outages, I get all zeros on everything. Any advice as to what to do? Anybody's help will be greatly appreciated. During normal activity, I have signal strengths ranging on all satellites between 92 and 100. Thanks.

Whats the weather like, temp wise ?
Sounds like a possibly LNB going bad.

Also, have you tried unplugging the Power Inserter and letting it reset and plug it back in ?

Whats the weather like, temp wise ?
Sounds like a possibly LNB going bad.

Also, have you tried unplugging the Power Inserter and letting it reset and plug it back in ?
Today it was a clear day, temp was around 65. I just had Directv installed about 3 months ago. Certainly, the lnb isn't going bad already, is it? Haven't tried unplugging the Power inserter. Isn't the power inserter only connected to the HD DVR receiver, the HR24?

I agree with Jimbo. It's likely your lnb going. They do sometimes fail this quickly.

Just because the LNB is new at your place , doesn't mean that it isn't going bad from the factory, or even bouncing around in the guys truck could cause it to go defective.

Electronics are quite finicky.

Just because the LNB is new at your place , doesn't mean that it isn't going bad from the factory, or even bouncing around in the guys truck could cause it to go defective.

Electronics are quite finicky.
That's true. But if it's the LNB, why would my service go out everyday at the same time? Any ideas.

It could be temperature driven by sunlight. IOW, not just the ambient temperature.

Today it was a clear day, temp was around 65. I just had Directv installed about 3 months ago. Certainly, the lnb isn't going bad already, is it? Haven't tried unplugging the Power inserter. Isn't the power inserter only connected to the HD DVR receiver, the HR24?

My install had a bad LNB right out of the box. The poor installer was chasing a 771 gremlin from one TV to another.. 3 receivers would work just fine, but once the 4th was connected, things would get hairy. Didn't matter which combination he used, and it wasn't always the same receiver acting up. The kicker was when it got into the DVR, and one tuner was fine (we thought it was solved), but the second tuner on Doubleplay couldn't lock signal. After replacing F connectors, the splitter, power injector, swapping cables and trying several different receivers, he finally replaced the LNB, because it was the only variable left.. That finally solved it.. That should have been the easiest install he had all week (all cabling was pre-run and brand new), and he was here for almost 3 hours because of that damn LNB. In talking to him, he was thinking the same thing I was, that it couldn't have been the LNB. It used to be if there was a bad LNB on a multiswitch setup, ALL of the TVs are affected (loss of half or 1/4 of the channels) - not just one, and the problem CERTAINLY doesn't move between receivers! SWiM is a whole new animal.

Last edited:
Is this a time of the day that more than one IRD is being used? Make sure the 21v power is ran into the power side of the 1x4 (red power pass)

Is this a time of the day that more than one IRD is being used? Make sure the 21v power is ran into the power side of the 1x4 (red power pass)

Wouldn't that be a constant problem?

Wouldn't that be a constant problem?
I had a customer move the inverter into another room with the ird and didnt realize that it had to be switched on the SWM 1x4 if he changed the location. This caused the boxes to lose signal and occasionally they would completely turn off and back on randomly. If more than one box is being used during this time it is possible that they all could lose signal. For instance, if the time is after class and two roommates are trying to watch different tv's???

Did you ever think to go outside and see what is happening at this time.I have seen many times lawn irrigation cause some problems

I had a customer move the inverter into another room with the ird and didnt realize that it had to be switched on the SWM 1x4 if he changed the location. This caused the boxes to lose signal and occasionally they would completely turn off and back on randomly. If more than one box is being used during this time it is possible that they all could lose signal. For instance, if the time is after class and two roommates are trying to watch different tv's???

Do you mean the power inserter, not inverter? If they are not installed correctly, wouldn't the receiver/dvr be supplying the voltage? If so, that can't be good for them since they don't have enough to run the lnb correctly.

Did you ever think to go outside and see what is happening at this time.I have seen many times lawn irrigation cause some problems

That would be pretty weird! It could explain the timing of the problem, though.

Do you mean the power inserter, not inverter? If they are not installed correctly, wouldn't the receiver/dvr be supplying the voltage? If so, that can't be good for them since they don't have enough to run the lnb correctly.
Pardon me, I meant the 21volt INSERTER. Your right, it is not good for them which is exactly why it needs to be corrected if that is the case. I have seen cases where it was done and the system worked for 3 months. As long as the box on the power pass side stays powered up the one with the INSERTER will function.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts