2 3/8" pipe question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Gonna head out tomorrow to get some cement and pipe for the Primestar project. Just curious, 2 3/8" pipe - about what does that run on average, and what department in Lowes or Home Depot shold I look? Thanks!

The chain link fence section - fence posts. I use the 1 5/8" so I can put any dish on it. Make a spacer from split plastic pipe to attach a larger dish, add a ground jumper across the plastic.

I would check the chain link fence section first. Worse case scenario you can use Galvanized pipe, but it will run you $30/$40

Just a suggestion, take the Dish with you to Home Depot when you buy the pipe! Even knowing as much as I know, I have gotten ID and OD screwed up on something of an odd size like this.

I can't help on the department question, just wanted to say, I got mine from a local fence company. Don't remember the price, but it seems like maybe $30 or so. 8' x 2 3/8" schedule 40.

Al

Thanks! I have about 20 feet of 2" galv. heavy duty grade flag pole I took down. lets see if I have this right - I can use the smaller size, then take a piece of plastic pipe and put that over the 2", then mount the dish. This tightens down good then? That might be the way to go!

8 foot 2 3/8 regular galvanized fence pipe is $13 at home depot, that's what I used. I wouldn't call it 'rock" solid but it's doing the job quite nicely.

:hatsoff:

If you want to take the dish with you, just take the bracket off the back...much easier to handle that :)

If I remember correctly, all of my P* dishes use a 1 5/8 pipe. that's what I had cemented in the ground, the when I took that down and put up a polar mount from an old 10' dish, I just bought longer lag-bolts that are used to secure the 2 1/2" polar mount to my 1 5/8" mount.....bottom line, make sure you don't get too large diameter pipe in the ground then find out you can't fit your P* dish on the pipe!

And I would probably get less looks too :) But, it might be fun to go in carrying a Primestar dish ;-) I measured the opening to the mount, and 2 3/8's pipe should work. Now I got to figure out what to do with my old flag pole I took down. :)

Thanks, I will double check before anything goes into the cement. I did measure the mount last night, and it was over 2". My 2" pipe just swims in the mount :)

sikma said:
If I remember correctly, all of my P* dishes use a 1 5/8 pipe. that's what I had cemented in the ground, the when I took that down and put up a polar mount from an old 10' dish, I just bought longer lag-bolts that are used to secure the 2 1/2" polar mount to my 1 5/8" mount.....bottom line, make sure you don't get too large diameter pipe in the ground then find out you can't fit your P* dish on the pipe!

sikma
I have 2 (use to have 3) DirecPC/Primestar dishes and they all took 2 3/8" pipe. My SC dish takes a 2" pipe

Ice - want about 20' of 2" galv. flag pole pipe? Strong stuff! I hate to let it go to waste :) Of course driving 500 miles would be pretty costly :) My father in law has been asking lots of questions on my projects. He has an old cband and a Dish Network. He is eyeballing one of the Primestar dishes...... he wants to see about using it for Dish, to avoid rain fade. :)

I use a chain link cornerpost for my Andrew and the DirecPC dish. Work great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)