2 defective HR 20-100s in 5 days?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdschwartz777

Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
I just signed up for DTV. The technician came out last Wednesday and set up four tv's for us. One TV was set up with the HR-20. The set up was a success until right after he left. We discovered the message "searching for satellite II" when flipping through various channels and other channels not working. I contacted the technician and he came out the next day, did some troubleshooting, and said "the number two tuner was bad, and we needed to order a new receiver," which we did.

Yesterday, a different technician came out, did some troubleshooting and agreed the receiver was bad. He went to his truck, brought in and successfully connected the new (refurb?) receiver and like clockwork, the set up was complete; we were very happy.

Then he left.

About a half an hour later, a white screen with DTV logo was being displayed, and the record button blinking. It remained in this state for quite a while before I called DTV support. They had me try a few things including resetting the receiver. Nothing worked. I noticed the receiver was very warm, close to hot. I left it unplugged for an hour or so, plugged it back in, and sure enough it worked fine for an hour, then went back to white screen and not working. We tried getting a hold of the technician to come back out; that did not happen.

So I called last evening, talk to support, they are shipping a new receiver via Fed Ex.

After discovering your forum this morning, I came across a post about the temperatures on HR-20. This morning I placed the HR-20 in an open area for venting and had it running for close to two hours, before it shut down. During this time, the temperatures ranged from 120's to 140. Even after I turned the power off, it remained very warm.

Any thoughts or feedback is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

mdschwartz777

I just signed up for DTV. The technician came out last Wednesday and set up four tv's for us. One TV was set up with the HR-20. The set up was a success until right after he left. We discovered the message "searching for satellite II" when flipping through various channels and other channels not working. I contacted the technician and he came out the next day, did some troubleshooting, and said "the number two tuner was bad, and we needed to order a new receiver," which we did.

Yesterday, a different technician came out, did some troubleshooting and agreed the receiver was bad. He went to his truck, brought in and successfully connected the new (refurb?) receiver and like clockwork, the set up was complete; we were very happy.

Then he left.

About a half an hour later, a white screen with DTV logo was being displayed, and the record button blinking. It remained in this state for quite a while before I called DTV support. They had me try a few things including resetting the receiver. Nothing worked. I noticed the receiver was very warm, close to hot. I left it unplugged for an hour or so, plugged it back in, and sure enough it worked fine for an hour, then went back to white screen and not working. We tried getting a hold of the technician to come back out; that did not happen.

So I called last evening, talk to support, they are shipping a new receiver via Fed Ex.

After discovering your forum this morning, I came across a post about the temperatures on HR-20. This morning I placed the HR-20 in an open area for venting and had it running for close to two hours, before it shut down. During this time, the temperatures ranged from 120's to 140. Even after I turned the power off, it remained very warm.

Any thoughts or feedback is truly appreciated.

Sincerely,

mdschwartz777

My HR20-700 runs at about 127 degrees most of the time.

I've run through 4 HR20-700s in the last 7 months....so it doesn't surprise me that you're having issues. My issues were all different, but it makes me think that their "refurbed" boxes are not that dependable.

I hate putting refurbs in.... (grimace >.<) They are a crapshoot as to whether they will work right or not. But such is DTV policy now that everything is leased. IMO when used recievers are brought back in from either an upgrade or service call they don't check them throughly enough before sending them back out with a clean bill of health. Then they lie in wait for the next tech who gets one. Hate it.

By the way I just found this site today, very nice, lot of information, I like it. I'd like to help anyway I can I'm a tech from the midwest region. ^.^

The HR20 is no doubt the cheapest receiver Directv has ever had. And I'll tell you why I say that. I'm on my third HR20 since September. ALL had the same probelm. Freezing picture and blank screen. My original was the HR20-700. Then the first replacement was the HR20-100. The third and current receiver is another HR20-700. All display the same problems. When changing channels, it blinks and flickers for what seems line an eternity(about 5 seconds in reality), then the picture comes on. I've already told the CSRs that I once had Dishnetwork and their worst receiver was better then than these HR20s. They have no clue what the problem might be. :mad: I told then not to bother sending any more replacements.

The HR20 is no doubt the cheapest receiver Directv has ever had. And I'll tell you why I say that. I'm on my third HR20 since September. ALL had the same probelm. Freezing picture and blank screen. My original was the HR20-700. Then the first replacement was the HR20-100. The third and current receiver is another HR20-700. All display the same problems. When changing channels, it blinks and flickers for what seems line an eternity(about 5 seconds in reality), then the picture comes on. I've already told the CSRs that I once had Dishnetwork and their worst receiver was better then than these HR20s. They have no clue what the problem might be. :mad: I told then not to bother sending any more replacements.

Is the Native option turned on or off in the display settings? If it is on, turn it off then set it on 720 or 1080 manually. Sounds like that may help you. With that Native option turned on, the reciever is adjusting its display resolution each time you change channels to match the resolution being broadcast and it does slow it down considerably.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts