2 Dual HD-DVR and 1 HD Receiver Installation Question

a2zvisa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Visalia, Ca
I will be moving into a new house soon and I want to call Dish Newtwork soon. I have 2 Vip622's and a Vip211. The house was constructed with all telephone, networking and tv cables centralized in my closet. There's one cable for telephone and one cable for tv that runs from the box on side of garage to this central box. Hmmmm.:confused: What do I need to do before installer comes out? I have the 44 box from my old house. Also, any suggestions for the OTA problem I probably will be facing? More wire runs, etc?:)

It doesn't sound like you will be taking the output of any of your 3 receivers and sending it throughout your home; but have a receiver at each of the 3 TV locations.

Therefore, the simplest wiring may be to have the DPP44 in the closet, where it will use a single run to each of the 3 TV's. The 2 622's will each need a DPP Separater to use a single cable between the DPP44 and 622, otherwise each will require 2 cable runs from the switch.

Now, you will need upto 4 cables from the dish/LNBF to this closet. The outside location will depend on where the installer installs the dish or dishes to have a view of the southern sky (SE to SW).

A second option is to put the DPP44 outside, but make sure you have 4 RG6 cables going to the closet. You will only need 3, but if you add a fourth receiver in the future, then you will be glad this 4th cable is there. Actually, go with 5 cables, 4 for satellite and 1 for Cable TV/Broadband Internet.

Hopefully the house is not complete and an installer can go there, find the dish mount location, and run 4 cables to the closet or to the switch location which may not be where the current telephone & cable is.

NOTE: Total RG6 lengths upto 200 feet from LNBF to DPP-44 to Receivers should not be a problem.

OTA: Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a cable ran from an antenna location outside, to the closet inside. However, this really should not be an issue since you can use a couple of diplexers to let the OTA RF signals ride on the same cable with the Satellite signals.

Last edited:
You cannot diplex the satellite signal between the dish and the DPP44.

You must run a seperate RG-6 line from your outside TV antenna atl least to the DPP44 location.

I recommend NOT diplexing OTA into the satellite cable because it causes signal strength reduction on both legs of the system and if you have any marginal signal strengths (129 or OTA), you WILL loose signal occasionally.

I agree with not using diplexers if you don't have too.

You must run a seperate RG-6 line from your outside TV antenna at least to the DPP44 location.
Jim - Are you sure?

I know you can use diplexers between a switch and the receiver, as well as an LNBF and a receiver. The DPP44 switch in most installations is probably either outside or right inside of the house and close to the LNBF, and would not need to diplex the signal before the switch.

However, since the satellite signal is available on both sides of the switch, it seems like you should be able to diplex the signal from one of the LNBF with an OTA signal to get it to the closet for further distribution if needed; provided you are using DishPro compliant diplexers (and not a home node). I know the DPP44 supplies power to the LNBF, but I would not suspect it is very much more power than one receiver would directly supply to the same single LNBF.

Another consideration/requirement:
You can not use diplexers between the DPP44 Receiver Port 1 and the Power Inserter.

More precisely, the switch will not pass the TV signal. If you diplex before the switch, you must 'un-diplex' before the switch also.

Yes you can You just diplex the signal back out of the line before the switch

You must run a seperate RG-6 line from your outside TV antenna atl least to the DPP44 location.

You don't have to but it's not a bad idea.

I recommend NOT diplexing OTA into the satellite cable because it causes signal strength reduction on both legs of the system and if you have any marginal signal strengths (129 or OTA), you WILL loose signal occasionally.

It will cause some signal loss on the OTA side. Very little if any is lost on the Satellite side. If you have marginal signal strength off of the satellite, then you should be calling Dish anyway.

Some people are just like Audiophiles. It has to be a perfect setup or they won't except it. Diplexors are used all the time on installations. It does not cause huge amounts of sinal loss. Just because an installer used a diplexor does not mean it was not installed correctly. You would probably never notice any difference in system performance if a diplexor was not used.

I used diplexors on my own system when I added OTA. I lost 1 signal pointe on the satellite side on 119 only. It went from 125 to 124, so it was probably just about to be 124 anyway. Not a big difference there.

More precisely, the switch will not pass the TV signal. If you diplex before the switch, you must 'un-diplex' before the switch also.
So we were/are on the same wave-length! :)

Besides the 2 lines for phone and cable between the outside and the closet, hopefully the OP can get about 5 more lines from the closet to the outside of the house to where ever the dishes and OTA antenna will be mounted. Then he shouldn't have any problems; unless he wants sat, OTA, cable, and/or home distribution in each room, in which case he should ensure that he has multiple runs from the closet to each room.

New theory....:eureka

What does Webster say about diplexing a signal from roof to closet DPP44; un-diplex at the DPP44; jump across to a 3-way splitter; diplex it out to 3 rooms where you will un-diplex it.
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts