2 DVR's (DirecTV R10 & DirecTV SD-DVR40

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lurwinn

Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Originally an R10 was installed in our Family Room and a regular receiver in the bedroom was installed DirecTV. Recently purchased a Hughes DirecTV SD-DVR40 to replace the regular receiver of which I had already activated with DirecTV.

:confused: On this DVR-40 I can only record what I'm watching, I have 3 cables running through each rooms (house was pre-wired and has a control panel where all wiring are) and my problem right now is which cable should be connected to the multiswitch (Zinwell SAM-44023 4x4) and where on the multiswitch. On ports 13v and Output 4 nothing is connected.

Sorry but I don't really understand your question. On a 4x4 switch you should have 4 incoming cables connected if you have more than 1 dish or have a phase 3 dish. On the output side you would need 4 cables connected if you want 2 DVRs connected with dual tuner capabilities.

boba said:
Sorry but I don't really understand your question. On a 4x4 switch you should have 4 incoming cables connected if you have more than 1 dish or have a phase 3 dish. On the output side you would need 4 cables connected if you want 2 DVRs connected with dual tuner capabilities.

Thanks for the reply... This is what I'm trying to figure out which one of the cables in my control panel should be going to one of the open ports which is port 13v and output 4 of the multiswitch.

Ok, look at the multiswitch, if it is a 4x4 like you say, 4 ports on one side (input from the dish) should be all occupied, now, on the other side (output to tuners) of the switch you should have 3 ports in use, with a forth port free, just run a coax from that free 4th port to your tuner (or to your distribution panel, THEN run that to the tuner).

Do not worry about 13v or 18v labels, they do not apply to you.

As for which cable is which in your control panel, how would we know that? ;)

Also, make sure _before_ you go unplugging/plugging coax into/out of the multiswitch to make sure you unplug the AC power from every receiver you have hooked up, turning them off is NOT good enough, not doing so may result in shorting and possibly causing damage to one or more of the LNBs.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts