2 FTA Receivers and 2 single ouput LNBFs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

billsat

Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Happy New Year to all.

Ok, I couldn't come up with a better title for this thread, but I hope some of you could help me with my problem. This is about a local church and their need to receive 2 FTA feeds.

Current setup is a Pansat 2700 and DiSEq switch, with a prime focus dish for EWTN (digital) on Galaxy 11 - single output C-Band LNBF and an offset dish for Satmex 5 and a single ouput KU Band LNBF (can't remember the feed's name).

Now they want to add a second receiver in a different room and have access to the same 2 feeds at their discretion. I know I could daisy chain (IF loop) a second receiver to the first one, but that would mean the exact same feed on both receivers at all times, no? I know I could replace the single KU Lnbf on Satmex 5 with a dual output unit, but I can not find a similar solution for the single output digital C-Band LNBF on Galaxy 11.

Maybe some splitters, switches, etc...

Regards,
Bill

thread title: great

. . . and much better than most! :rolleyes:

How about this two-output C-band LNB, and a 4x4 multi-switch? *
The switch would feed up to four receivers, letting each have V or H, from either LNB.

edit: here is a good switch-discussion thread that directly applies to your question:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/119515-multiswitch-4x4.html

* these 5x8 switches seems about the same price and would support up to 8 outputs.
Get some independent confirmation before using them.
EXR-558 5x8 Kathrein Multiswitch
EXR-508 5x8 Kathrein Multiswitch

Last edited:
Since you're going to access the same single channel per satellite on each receiver, you could get by without using dual lnbs. Just get two high-frequency splitters and place them between each lnb and the diseqc so that you have the lnb feeding two outputs now. Then add another diseqc to the 2nd set of feeds coming out of the splitters and you're set.

This would not be advised if you were going to watch other channels on the same sat, but since they would always be watching the same channel/polarity on both receivers, you'll be fine with this setup.

A little shopping around and you could have this done for 10-15 dollars instead of 50-100+

On the C-band side, a single cable solution using a Stacked C-band LNBF such as the Pansat 9650 S should allow both polarities to work on 2 or more receivers. Just a matter of coordinating the proper local oscillator settings and running a power divider such as an HFS-2.

So we're working with just two channels here?

Couple easy ways...one is already noted and thats the splitter technique.

The other would be a 4x4 multiswitch. I assume the channel on Satmex5 is BYU TV? Regardless, plug the output of the C-Band LNB to the H (18v) side on the multiswitch and the output from the Satmex5 dish to the 18v+22k side. Then you can use 4 receivers without using a bunch of extra switches.

If you rotate one of the LNBF's 90 degrees then a 2 x 4 multiswitch would work with Iceburgs wiring. You just have to remember to reverse the polarity settings of the one you rotated in the receivers. i.e. horizontal changed to vertical and vertical changed to horizontal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)