2 HD DVRs, 1 HD non-DVR to Genie?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Thinking of making the move. Are there any pitfalls??

Specifically I do have one of my DVRs hooked up to a DVD recorder via S-Video; are there any roadblocks there??

And I also have another DVR hooked up to 2 TVs, one via HDMI and the other via RCA (although I'm thinking of hooking up an old 720p to it via component). Any issues there (concerned it may not send 2 HD signals out, one over HDMI and the other over component)???

It looks like any cost increase will be nominal. And the wife will be thrilled to have the ability to watch recordings, pause, rewind and all that on the one TV that currently doesn't have that ability.

If you are going to the Genie and Genie Minis, you will have issues with the connections. The Genie Minis are very small, and as such only have HDMI output.

If you are going to the Genie and Genie Minis, you will have issues with the connections. The Genie Minis are very small, and as such only have HDMI output.
There are dongles available for the Genie Mini to give component or composite outputs. No s-video.
What are you planning to replace with what? Replace one HD DVR with the Genie and the non-DVR with a mini-client?

If it was me I would trade 1 HD-DVR in for Genie ,keep the other DVR as long as it is working , The HD receiver would depend on which one it is. Whether you get a genie client or an H25 receiver the monthly bill will be the same. You will have 3 receivers and DVR service. Given the choice, I would always choose a receiver over a client.

There are dongles available for the Genie Mini to give component or composite outputs. No s-video.
What are you planning to replace with what? Replace one HD DVR with the Genie and the non-DVR with a mini-client?

I'd be replacing 1 HD DVR with the Genie and the other HD DVR and the HD non-DVR with mini-clients.

Those dongles...to they allow for more than 1 output from 1 mini-client, like an HDMI and component?

I'd be replacing 1 HD DVR with the Genie and the other HD DVR and the HD non-DVR with mini-clients.

Those dongles...to they allow for more than 1 output from 1 mini-client, like an HDMI and component?

If it were me, I would replace the non-DVR with the Genie, and keep the two HD DVRs. An HD DVR is more flexible than a mini-client, gives you two extra tuners, and can view everything on the Genie via whole-home anyway.
Is there any special reason you would want to replace an HD DVR with a mini-client?

The dongles will allow you to have more than one output from a mini-client. However there are a number of issues with using two outputs simultaneously from any DirecTV box, and the genie and client enforce HDCP on an HDMI connection, which causes an additional issue - if you have two TVs connected and you switch off the HDMI-connected one, it will now fail the HDCP test and all video from the box (including to the other TV)will be shut off.

This was my plan, but I had nothing but problems. 3 weeks and 5 techs later, I dumped the Genie and got another HR24 back. The fifth tech was amazing. He TOTALLY rewired the system (he got rid of splitters, I don't know why the original guy had so many) so basically each receiver has a dedicated line. The system is flawless and better than ever. I now have 2 HR-100's and 3 H25-700's. I'm happy again!!! :happyd2:

Is there any special reason you would want to replace an HD DVR with a mini-client?

Few reasons really...first the one non DVR the wife uses in the bedroom a lot and would like the ability to watch recorded programs and pause/rewind live TV. Secondly the HR22 DVRs we have in the other rooms right now are so slow. And I only have one receiver currently hooked up to an AM21 and the internet, figured all the mini-clients could feed off that.

But one of the other posts scared me a bit off the Genie...and I did speak to someone else with similar issues. Not to mention the added HDCP...almost sounds like I may be taking a step backwards.

Might the new HD DVRs operate faster than the HR-22's I have rather than going to the Genie??

The HR24s are generally much faster than any other of the hd dvrs. The issue is getting one from Directv, since they don't guaranty which model dvr you get. You could get one from Solid Signal or some other vendor where you would be able to choose the model.

The HR24s are generally much faster than any other of the hd dvrs. The issue is getting one from Directv, since they don't guaranty which model dvr you get.

I guess if I went that route, I could just refuse the install if they didn't bring the equipment I was hoping for and reschedule until they do. Kind of a pain...

I suppose you could, but it's unfair to the tech to do that.

I guess if I went that route, I could just refuse the install if they didn't bring the equipment I was hoping for and reschedule until they do. Kind of a pain...

This has actually gotten so far out of hand some techs will actually leave notes on the account. Guess what the customer never gets after the 1st or 2nd reschedule. Yep, you'll end up getting a receiver that's been bouncing around a truck for weeks because the customer has kept putting us off more and more when it's something we have no control over. I get it, we do all want the newest and greatest thing, I know I do! But it's not fair for a tech to drive an hour to your house to be turned away and then be routed another 2 hours the other way. We just lost 3 hours of time and possibly $150+

This has actually gotten so far out of hand some techs will actually leave notes on the account. Guess what the customer never gets after the 1st or 2nd reschedule. Yep, you'll end up getting a receiver that's been bouncing around a truck for weeks because the customer has kept putting us off more and more when it's something we have no control over. I get it, we do all want the newest and greatest thing, I know I do! But it's not fair for a tech to drive an hour to your house to be turned away and then be routed another 2 hours the other way. We just lost 3 hours of time and possibly $150+

Yeah, I really don't want to do that, it's a waste of time for everyone involved. But are they still installing the old HR22 HD units or would my chances be pretty good at getting an HR24?

With all due respect I understand your issue and certainly sympathize. When I'm getting roped into a 2 year contract though I want to get what I want. Not whatever junk you happen to have on the truck.

Another simple solution to avoid all that is to simply go to any local dealer and get the exact equipment you want the first time.

Another simple solution to avoid all that is to simply go to any local dealer and get the exact equipment you want the first time.

Well that sort of negates the "free upgrade". One would expect upgraded equipment, not just the same refurbished model to replace the probably refurb you have already.

Well that sort of negates the "free upgrade". One would expect upgraded equipment, not just the same refurbished model to replace the probably refurb you have already.

That isn't an upgrade. An upgrade is going from sd to hd, or from a receiver to a dvr, or from anything to a Genie.

Yeah, I really don't want to do that, it's a waste of time for everyone involved. But are they still installing the old HR22 HD units or would my chances be pretty good at getting an HR24?

All that's been in the field for nearly 2 months is HR24's. It's nearly impossible to find anything other than H25 as well

With all due respect I understand your issue and certainly sympathize. When I'm getting roped into a 2 year contract though I want to get what I want. Not whatever junk you happen to have on the truck.

We understand that but at the same time it's the customers taking from the techs. We have no choice at all over what we carry on our trucks. We load out once a week and whatever directv sends us on our trucks will be the exact same thing directv sends you at that time. Whatever is in the warehouse is the same on the trucks this is why techs have started noting work orders. If a customer is dead set on a certain receiver you're better off paying for that receiver. We can't make directv send you one nor us.

Whoa, sorry! Sounded like a complete rant but wasn't, hard to put on context without sounding rude ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)