2 HD DVRs exchanging content

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmac

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Senoia, Georgia
Is there any way to share content between 2 DVRs that are located in different areas of the house. I've heard some people talking about sling tv and connecting to network, just wanted to know if anyone was doing it and how complicated it is. :confused:

MRV (multiroom viewing) is coming to the HR20 at some point. At least it's been talked about by DirecTV as a feature goal for it. I'd expect some movement on it (if it's still in the plans) after the HD channel launches and VOD.

MRV (multiroom viewing) is coming to the HR20 at some point. At least it's been talked about by DirecTV as a feature goal for it. I'd expect some movement on it (if it's still in the plans) after the HD channel launches and VOD.

You really think it will emerge? I dunno, I think its a wish list and has certainly been talked about and even semi-demoed by Directv but we were also supposed to see Directv capture cards for the PC when Vista was released. Where are those? I think DLB has a higher chance then MRV. Thats why I centralized my units and with a matrix switcher, have my own personal MRV. Dont get me wrong, it would be great for folks but I think if it is ever going to happen, it might be a few years off.

You really think it will emerge? I dunno, I think its a wish list and has certainly been talked about and even semi-demoed by Directv but we were also supposed to see Directv capture cards for the PC when Vista was released. Where are those? I think DLB has a higher chance then MRV. Thats why I centralized my units and with a matrix switcher, have my own personal MRV. Dont get me wrong, it would be great for folks but I think if it is ever going to happen, it might be a few years off.

I think there is a good chance. DirecTV has said as much in a couple chat sessions at DBSTalk. At the very least it's on their radar, on the list and fairly high up on the list. It however requires solid networking and they aren't quite there yet (although so far mine has been flawless). That's why my prediction and I think it will be 2008 before they seriously look at it to see if it can be done. Could also be that by the time they get around do it the HR20 will be getting long in the tooth (it's already 1 year old) and perhaps whatever replaces it will have that feature.

Who really knows. Either way it's exciting times to be sure.

Just a guess but I think it will take the next generation unit HD DVR for MRV. Thats why I prefer the lease model. My life cycle for hardware and PC's is no more then 3 years. So 2009, I am ready for the new model. Unless of course, they give me another free unit. :D

Just curious but why would it require additional or a new box as the hr20 can already be networked with a pc, however limited it currently is. Maybe I am a little slow to understand but it doesn't seem like it would take much to be able to network the boxes themselves to watch content on different tv's.

Just curious but why would it require additional or a new box as the hr20 can already be networked with a pc, however limited it currently is. Maybe I am a little slow to understand but it doesn't seem like it would take much to be able to network the boxes themselves to watch content on different tv's.

You are not slow. The ability is right there. I just dont think it is forthcoming. And like anything might not be in this generation. Look at the HR10-250. That thing had tons of potential and could have had MRV activated but they chose not to. So there is nothing scientific in what I said. Just a gut and nothing more so definitely take it for what its worth. ;)

You are not slow. The ability is right there. I just dont think it is forthcoming. And like anything might not be in this generation. Look at the HR10-250. That thing had tons of potential and could have had MRV activated but they chose not to. So there is nothing scientific in what I said. Just a gut and nothing more so definitely take it for what its worth. ;)

Tex,they could and possibly will impliment the MRV as you mentioned, the HR20 has plenty of potential, provided you have a high speed internet connection.

Brewer,
I think they pretty much gave up on the HR10 when the mpeg4 format became a reality.

Jimbo

Frankly, I was amazed at how easily my HR20 recognized and "attached" to my wireless network. I had barely finished the "search now" or whatever it was called and it came back as all set. I have my wireless router setup so that there is always only 1 open IP address in its DHCP tables so when my assistant works from my home office, she can log in and be able to work, so the assignable IP was there waiting. But when/if they do introduce this MRV option, how much control and influence do you think D* will try to have on how we - the end user - setup our networks? You think they might send a Geek Squad rep over and make some tweaks to the network so that my HR20 cannot be seen or searched from my neighbors network...assuming they crack my 128-bit security?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)