2 hopper 3s on 1 acct

JohnGalt1234

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Clarksville VA
Does anyone have 2 hopper 3s on one account with external HDs connected to both of them?

I'm curious about if recordings from both hoppers and their external drives can be accessed by all of your tvs, if your joeys can access both hopper 3s or do you need a joey connected to each hopper and use hdmi switching on tvs to switch between 2 joeys. Can you transfer recordings from one hopper to the external drive of the other hopper or from external drive of one to external drive of another. Can the 6 Joey limit of hopper3 all be wireless, or is there a limit on wireless Joeys < the 6 total?

I currently have 1 hopper 3 with 4 TVs (3 wireless joeys) and one Directv Genie with 2 HR-24 DVRs with 7 TVs. 4 of the 7 tvs connected to Directv also are connected to dish through different HDMI ports on the TV.

I'm thinking of dumping Directv and just adding another hopper3, but only will do so if all the recordings are accessible on all the Tvs.

Dish support never gives the same answer and the tech that installed our hopper3 said you could not have two hopper3s so I'm hoping someone here with an actual similar installation can answer my questions.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does anyone have 2 hopper 3s on one account with external HDs connected to both of them?

I'm curious about if recordings from both hoppers and their external drives can be accessed by all of your tvs, if your joeys can access both hopper 3s or do you need a joey connected to each hopper and use hdmi switching on tvs to switch between 2 joeys. Can you transfer recordings from one hopper to the external drive of the other hopper or from external drive of one to external drive of another. Can the 6 Joey limit of hopper3 all be wireless, or is there a limit on wireless Joeys < the 6 total?

I currently have 1 hopper 3 with 4 TVs (3 wireless joeys) and one Directv Genie with 2 HR-24 DVRs with 7 TVs. 4 of the 7 tvs connected to Directv also are connected to dish through different HDMI ports on the TV.

I'm thinking of dumping Directv and just adding another hopper3, but only will do so if all the recordings are accessible on all the Tvs.

Dish support never gives the same answer and the tech that installed our hopper3 said you could not have two hopper3s so I'm hoping someone here with an actual similar installation can answer my questions.

We have many 2 Hopper 3 subs here on Satellite Guys. You will hear from them shortly and I think you will like what they tell you.

Joeys can be linked to Hopper of choice to see their recordings and EHD. Both Hoppers can also see each other. Don't know of anyway to transfer recordings between both Hoppers. You could swap Hopper's EHDs around and do some transferring. As far as I know there is a six Joey limit. If you have another TV that needs a Joey you can attach a Firestick and use Dish Anywhere for that TV.

Last edited:

I have 2 Hopper3 receivers and a Joey3 client. My Living Room Hopper3 has one external hard drive and my Family Room Hopper3 has two external hard drives. Both of my Hopper3 receivers can access recordings on the remote Hopper3 internal drive but the Hopper3 can not access recordings on the remote Hopper3 external drives. Attached is a picture of my Family Room Hopper3.
My Joey 3 can be connected to either Hopper3 receiver and it can access the external drive of the Hopper3 that it is connected to. Attached is a picture showing how you decide which Hopper3 is linked to the Joey3.
Attached is a picture showing my Joey3 accessing the Family Room Hopper3.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1041.jpeg
    IMG_1041.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Joeys can be linked to Hopper of choice to see their recordings and EHD. Both Hoppers can also see each other. Don't know of anyway to transfer recordings between both Hoppers. You could swap Hopper's EHDs around and do some transferring. As far as I know there is a six Joey limit. If you have another TV that needs a Joey you can attach a Firestick and use Dish Anywhere for that TV.
Joeys can be linked to hopper of choice when using hopper1 or 2 and a duo hub/node. Hopper3s are installed with a solo hub that doesn't connect to additional hoppers. However if you connect the client ports together between two solo hubs I'd imagine you could see both hopper3s and maybe still pick which one you'd like to link to. But I've never done it or seem it and it's not approved so not sure if any issues would arise.

Joeys can be linked to hopper of choice when using hopper1 or 2 and a duo hub/node. Hopper3s are installed with a solo hub that doesn't connect to additional hoppers. However if you connect the client ports together between two solo hubs I'd imagine you could see both hopper3s and maybe still pick which one you'd like to link to. But I've never done it or seem it and it's not approved so not sure if any issues would arise.
My two Hopper3 receivers and my Joey3 are connected with a duo hub which allows both Hopper3 receivers to access each other. TJBoston is correct when he says that Dish does not normally recommend this setup. But I have had this setup for many years with no problems. If you use solo hubs you would need to connect the client ports together to allow both Hopper3 receivers to access each other. When my two Hopper3 receivers were first installed the Dish techs had no idea how to set it up. I showed them how based on information from SatelliteGuys.

Last edited:
I use a Duo Hub for my two Hopper 3 setup. My Hopper 3 and Hopper Plus can both see each other.

Reactions: dweber
I use a Duo Hub for my two Hopper 3 setup. My Hopper 3 and Hopper Plus can both see each other.
Charles and I have the same setup. I used his example when instructing the Dish tech. The difference is that Charles now has a Hopper Plus attached to one of his Hopper3 receivers and a Joey4. I have no interest in getting a Hopper Plus but I would like to get a Joey 4 for my basement Toshiba 4K Fire TV. I already have the coax since I had a Joey 2 in the past. I got rid of the Joey 2 and started using Dish Anywhere to save money. But with the new Dish Anywhere player that starts with low resolution and takes a while to eventually reach 720p resolution I am not happy using Dish Anywhere. With a Joey 4 I could watch some of the Dish 4K programming while on my exercise bike.

Charles and I have the same setup. I used his example when instructing the Dish tech. The difference is that Charles now has a Hopper Plus attached to one of his Hopper3 receivers and a Joey4. I have no interest in getting a Hopper Plus but I would like to get a Joey 4 for my basement Toshiba 4K Fire TV. I already have the coax since I had a Joey 2 in the past. I got rid of the Joey 2 and started using Dish Anywhere to save money. But with the new Dish Anywhere player that starts with low resolution and takes a while to eventually reach 720p resolution I am not happy using Dish Anywhere. With a Joey 4 I could watch some of the Dish 4K programming while on my exercise bike.
Maybe you could go ahead a get a Hopper Plus and Joey 4. When DISH tech shows up just tell him not to install the Plus, just install the Joey 4. I have the Plus installed on my Hopper 3 that is used less than my primary Hopper 3.

Maybe you could go ahead a get a Hopper Plus and Joey 4. When DISH tech shows up just tell him not to install the Plus, just install the Joey 4. I have the Plus installed on my Hopper 3 that is used less than my primary Hopper 3.
That is probably what I will do. Since I have Dish Protect Gold there should be no cost for the installation. With Apple TV and a Roku I have no need for the extra aggravation that can happen with a Hopper Plus.

Last edited:
That is probably what I will do. Since I have Dish Protect Gold there should be no cost for the installation. With Apple TV and a Roku I have no need for the extra aggravation that can happen with a Hoppet Plus.
Good idea. If you are not happy with the Hopper Plus, just remove it, connect HDMI cable back into the Hopper and go thru about 20 minute reboot. It will be back in a regular Hopper 3 mode. The Hopper Plus is working much better but still has a 2 to 3 second lag when FF a recording. The Joey 4s still have the same lag too. But that is a very minor aggravation for most folks except my wife.

Good idea. If you are not happy with the Hopper Plus, just remove it, connect HDMI cable back into the Hopper and go thru about 20 minute reboot. It will be back in a regular Hopper 3 mode. The Hopper Plus is working much better but still has a 2 to 3 second lag when FF a recording. The Joey 4s still have the same lag too. But that is a very minor aggravation for most folks except my wife.

I could live with the minor delay associated with the Joey 4. Dish Anywhere locks up and constantly buffers when using fast forward to skip commercials. In the past Dish Anywhere was excellent since it was using my home network. The new Dish Anywhere player seems to lock up or buffer even though it is streaming on my home network. It is very frustrating. I am surprised that your daughter isn’t having issues with Dish Anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could live with the minor delay associated with the Joey 4. Dish Anywhere locks up and constantly buffers when using fast forward to skip commercials. In the past Dish Anywhere was excellent since it was using my home network. The new Dish Anywhere player seems to lock up or buffer even though it is streaming on my home network. It is very frustrating. I am surprised that your daughter isn’t having issues with Dish Anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, always something else when issues pop up. I will have to check with my daughter on how her Dish Anywhere is working lately.

+1 Here to the 2 Hopper3 setup utilizing the DPH42 and Duo Hub. A few points that have not been brought up yet:

1- There is no way to directly transfer recordings between two connected Hoppers unless you intend to wipe the source Hopper clean of recordings using the migration tool. You can however transfer the recordings you want to move to a EHD then move said EHD to its destination Hopper, where you can view and transfer recordings onto the internal drive.

2- The Dish rule in regards to installing two Hoppers on two separate solo hubs is easily circumvented by having the duo hub ready during installation, if the installer does not agree to using it in place of the solos (which to be clear, is understandable especially if we are talking about a employee working directly for Dish wanting to keep his job) the hub can be put in place after the fact with the only tool needed being a 7/16 wrench.

3- Per Dish’s own rules, the second Hopper3 on your account has to be purchased. If you go through Dish directly, you will have to go through the CSR roulette, since as per usual most CSR’s don’t know how these setups work and will default to the “Only one Hopper3 per Home thanks goodbye” response. It is much less of a headache if you purchase the Hopper from a retailer like SolidSignal, or eBay if you are comfortable with used and the risks that entails, then call with the receiver and smartcard numbers ready to go.

+1 Here to the 2 Hopper3 setup utilizing the DPH42 and Duo Hub. A few points that have not been brought up yet:

1- There is no way to directly transfer recordings between two connected Hoppers unless you intend to wipe the source Hopper clean of recordings using the migration tool. You can however transfer the recordings you want to move to a EHD then move said EHD to its destination Hopper, where you can view and transfer recordings onto the internal drive.

2- The Dish rule in regards to installing two Hoppers on two separate solo hubs is easily circumvented by having the duo hub ready during installation, if the installer does not agree to using it in place of the solos (which to be clear, is understandable especially if we are talking about a employee working directly for Dish wanting to keep his job) the hub can be put in place after the fact with the only tool needed being a 7/16 wrench.

3- Per Dish’s own rules, the second Hopper3 on your account has to be purchased. If you go through Dish directly, you will have to go through the CSR roulette, since as per usual most CSR’s don’t know how these setups work and will default to the “Only one Hopper3 per Home thanks goodbye” response. It is much less of a headache if you purchase the Hopper from a retailer like SolidSignal, or eBay if you are comfortable with used and the risks that entails, then call with the receiver and smartcard numbers ready to go.
Does anyone have some diagrams that show the solo hub and duo hub configurations. That would be easier to understand.

Does anyone have some diagrams that show the solo hub and duo hub configurations. That would be easier to understand.
You have Charles awesome picture above, but if you prefer a proper diagram I have posted some in the past, latter tonight if I get a chance I’ll find them or just make some new ones for the people interested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts