2 Hopper/4 Joey setup need help with cabling issue

mhoward223

Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
kentucky
I recently had a 2 hopper/4 joey installed.

Everything works great, but the installer put both hoppers on an isolated subnet.

The way the install goes is 3 cables in from LNB to duo node...two cables out from host into home. Clients both have 75ohm terminal.

In home, cable split to hopper and joeys with isolater. Would it be possible to remove the isolator and put in a splitter? All cable is rg6.

The reason I ask, is I would like to relink the upstairs joey to downstairs hopper and and vice versa.

TIA

Did you request the isolators so that everything is separate? If not, then he installed it wrong and you should have that tech swap out those isolators for taps.

If it still doesn't get resolved, contact someone at DIRT.

Isaac is right. The 2 lines coming from the duo node each need to go to a Tap. From the Tap one cable goes to the Hopper and one goes to the Joey. The line that goes out from the Tap to the Joeys can run through a 2 way splitter.

Another +1 for needing a tap (or 2.) You weren't very clear though on how many isolators were used. Are both Host lines using an isolator? Are there 2 Joeys per Hopper or what?

My installers did the same thing. They cabled from the "host" ports on the Duo Node to an isolator. One leg of the isolator went to the Hopper, the other leg to (in my case) a 3-way splitter for 3 Joeys. Duplicate that for the other Hopper and 3 more Joeys.

I do not know why they wired it that way. The two client ports on the Duo Node were just terminated. Some families would want the subnets isolated to limit the children from the adult equipment. Certainly not the case here. We are only my wife and I.

I discovered the problem while working to get the DLNA features running on my network. I purchase an HIC and inserted in ahead of one of the 3-way splitters to provide ethernet to the Joeys. Those three got it OK - but the other 3 got none.

I had a tech come out to solve the problem. I suggested he completely remove both isolators and cable directly from the 2 client ports on the Duo Node to the 3-way splitters. Then, connect each Hopper directly to a host port on the Duo Node. He did so and all was well and now working to my satisfaction.

I did get charged for another service call. I am not too upset about that.

If you have a Duo Node - you could do the same connection scheme as I have used for my 3H 6J system.

My installers did the same thing. They cabled from the "host" ports on the Duo Node to an isolator. One leg of the isolator went to the Hopper, the other leg to (in my case) a 3-way splitter for 3 Joeys. Duplicate that for the other Hopper and 3 more Joeys.

I do not know why they wired it that way. The two client ports on the Duo Node were just terminated. Some families would want the subnets isolated to limit the children from the adult equipment. Certainly not the case here. We are only my wife and I.

I discovered the problem while working to get the DLNA features running on my network. I purchase an HIC and inserted in ahead of one of the 3-way splitters to provide ethernet to the Joeys. Those three got it OK - but the other 3 got none.

I had a tech come out to solve the problem. I suggested he completely remove both isolators and cable directly from the 2 client ports on the Duo Node to the 3-way splitters. Then, connect each Hopper directly to a host port on the Duo Node. He did so and all was well and now working to my satisfaction.

I did get charged for another service call. I am not too upset about that.

If you have a Duo Node - you could do the same connection scheme as I have used for my 3H 6J system.

It's just the wife and you and you have a 3 Hopper-6 Joey system?????

Your situation could have just as easily (actually a lot easier) been solved by swapping the isolators for taps.

Also, your post is confusing as you keep mentioning only 2 Hoppers and you keep mentioning a Duo Node but 3 Hoppers requires a Duo Node and a Solo Node. I have a feeling that you can connect the "Client" ports of the Duo/Solo Nodes together in order to have MoCA communication between all 3 Hoppers. Not sure about that one, plan on trying it soon with my 3H/2J system (thinking about going down to 3H/1J.) Probably not before "integration" is completed though. Though I could at least see if they can see each other.

It's just the wife and you and you have a 3 Hopper-6 Joey system?????

Well, we have only 2 Hoppers. There are 3 Joeys linked to each one.

Ha-ha! Yes, I guess that is a bit of overkill - but there IS a TV at all 8 locations. ...and the 2 Hoppers give my wife and I essentially our "own" DVR.

the isolator and tap look too similar and i have accidentally installed isolator as opposed to tap causing me all kinds of headache till i realized my mistake.

Sorry for the confusion.

I made a quick diagram to show my setup.
--- Joey 1​
i​
--- Splitter ------I--- Joey 2​
i​
Host ---- Isolator -----I--- Hopper 1​
DuoNode
Host ---- Isolator -----I--- Hopper 2​
|
L--- Splitter -----I--- Joey 3​
|
L--- Joey 4​

Both Clients on DuoNode are terminated

Can I change the isolators to that splitter and be good to go to relink Joeys to either hopper?

If I add two Joeyst later, should I get a 3 way tap and terminate the empty one and replace the splitters above with the 3 way tap?

I didn't ask for it to be setup up to isolate the two hoppers, and was under the impression from the installer that was the way it had to be done until I started reading this forum.

TIA

Hopper and Joey Wiring Diagrams

click that link and download the wiring diagrams. That should clear up how it should be wired and how you might want to wire Joeys in the future.

one other question i'll ask just to be thorough .....

Where are the current isolators located? are they next to the duo node or remotely located away from the node?

Basically, i'm telling you to look in the wiring diagrams and make sure that taps are needed for your install in the first place. The Hopper/Joey system can be wired a number of different ways. Many people don't need any taps at all and can use the client ports that are on the duo node itself with those splitters.

If you need someone at Dish to resolve this, contact someone on their DIRT team...

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)