2 Hoppers &1 Joey or 1 Hopper & 2 Joeys ?

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
Got 4 TV's. Don't ever watch the old 34" wide screen Sony CRT HD TV. Great picture though. Price increases are coming. Right now I got 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Just asking for some suggestions. Gonna get rid of the Sony TV. What would be in my best interest financially and logically, get rid of one of the Hoppers or one of the Joeys?

And in remembrance of someone on vacation, " When's that Carbon UI coming ? " :biggrin2

Depends, do you need 6 tuners, or do you need just 3 TV's??? It all depends on your viewing habits. I am keeping my setup as is, since it is grandfathered in. The only increase that will affect us is the programming.

You probably already know you really don't Need two Hoppers.

Last edited:
Just asking for some suggestions. Gonna get rid of the Sony TV. What would be in my best interest financially and logically, get rid of one of the Hoppers or one of the Joeys?

Not knowing your personal situation (household and income) generally the price difference is not a bank breaker vs. the yearly savings in losing one device. So IMO, questions like this are more about convenience, lifestyle and sanity. Does one have a 5 member household or 2? Does one live for TV and movies or watch it very infrequently?

I had a 2 Hopper w/Sling and one Joey setup in my house. Reason is I wanted the extra tuners, speed and redundancy. We used one Hopper with PTAT enabled. To cover the recordings off the locals. Then my wife had the 2 tuners and the balance of HD storage all to herself!

The other Hopper was the family one. Kept three tuners alive there and allowed me to maintain my sanity so as not to lose recordings due to conflicts and also have more storage for the rest of the family. And if you have kids you may need the extra tuners/storage (without having to monkey around with external drives). The Joey was used mostly as a way to view Hopper recordings from the home theater and not used too much anyway. Personally, I hate the slowness at times of Joeys so the additional Hopper solved that (instead of one Hopper and two Joeys).

Again, for me personally, if one of the Hoppers went South then we did not lose TV viewing/recording totally. Had at least one other Hopper to fall back on until the broken one was replaced.

Lose the extra Joey!

Yeah, Jim (Tron2012), you're probably right about dumping the Joey. I had 3 or 4 Hoppers go bad on me. You lose the Hopper, you're hard down. And it really ain't a bank breaker. And the Hopper is more responsive than the Joey.

The price increases are coming next month. I'm gonna wait and see what happens. As much as I like the Hopper, I'm thinking about going to cable. I'm already paying them $67 a month just for Internet, which is a must nowadays. Add my $130 for Dish and $13 for Vonage, a bundle is looking more attractive.

I would hate to lose my Hoppers, but damn, this stuff is really getting expensive. Next month I will make a decision.

Reactions: Tron2012
...but damn, this stuff is really getting expensive.

Totally agree. Between TV and mobile phones it it completely ridiculous as to the amount of money providers charge us each month. I know infrastructure and tech can get expensive to keep up with all the bells and whistles consumers demand, but c'mon already...

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts