2 hoppers off a single tap, OK?

CCTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
United States
Is it ok to feed two hoppers off a single duo node host output via a tap?

Duo node host output 1 ----> tap ----> 2 hoppers. This is for a 2H/2J system.

Thanks. Currently, I have Latino and international packages so my Dish Plus has 4 outputs feeding a switch (i.e. Video Path Multi-Dish Switch). The installer is thinking about keeping the switch and then feeding the duo node off the switch output. This is because the Duo Node has 3 inputs only. Is this Ok?

Thanks. Currently, I have Latino and international packages so my Dish Plus has 4 outputs feeding a switch (i.e. Video Path Multi-Dish Switch). The installer is thinking about keeping the switch and then feeding the duo node off the switch output. This is because the Duo Node has 3 inputs only. Is this Ok?
i believe there's an example in those wiring diagrams of a duo node coming off of a DPP44 switch.

I see there is a power inserter in one of the diagrams, what does it do and is it a must?

on a DPP44 switch, you usually want to put the power inserter on port 1 of the switch. The duo node then connects to 2,3,4.

It's definitely recommended that this particular DPP44 switch gets power so that it doesn't put any additional strain on the receivers.

Thank you. The installer is a very nice person who is trying to help. I have never had an inserter in the first place but we will do that.

I have always had weak signals on certain 118 transponders during the day. Realignment usually helps, but do you think the lack of a power inserter can be a factor?

lack of power should not drop transponders but over time it will kill the box 3monts- 1 year depending on how much you use dish. With the hopper it is need like others are saying when a 44switch is used

Can the power inserter be injected into the circuit at a different spot not directly on one of the switch ports? Somewhere after the output of the duo node?

The 3 outputs of the DPP44 going to the 3 inputs of the Duo Node and the power inserter seems to come in at one of the hoppers.

Can the power inserter be injected into the circuit at a different spot not directly on one of the switch ports? Somewhere after the output of the duo node?

The power inserter should not be connected anywhere after the duo node. Needs to be before the node on port 1.

We are fixing this now.

As for activating the Hoppers and Joeys. I read that we should activate the Hoppers and let them download the software first and then go to the Joeys. Can the Hoppers be done at the same time? Is there any order?

CCTX said:
We are fixing this now.

As for activating the Hoppers and Joeys. I read that we should activate the Hoppers and let them download the software first and then go to the Joeys. Can the Hoppers be done at the same time? Is there any order?

ForumRunner_20120708_204537.png

ForumRunner_20120708_204550.png

CCTX said:
We are fixing this now.

Don't even hook up Joey's to moca cables till after you check for client id, yes this is well after all recievers are activated and hoppers can view live TV.

Ideally your tech should swap the dp500+ lnb, dp dual lnb, and 44 switch for a dpp500+ lnb and dp dual. Less parts to possibly go bad. No need to run extra cable for power inserted.

sperry85 said:
Ideally your tech should swap the dp500+ lnb, dp dual lnb, and 44 switch for a dpp500+ lnb and dp dual. Less parts to possibly go bad. No need to run extra cable for power inserted.

That would have been my first step.

Get rid of that switch.

The final setup was

4 Satellite outputs ---> DP44 switch ---> Port 1 to Power Inserter and other 3 O/P ports to ----> Duo Node ---> Host 1 to tap--> to Hopper 1 and a splitter ---> to Joey 1 and Joey 2

Hopper 2 is connected to Duo Node's Host 2. Caps on Client 1 and Client 2 of Duo Node.

Does dpp500+ support 4 satellites? I was told I will need two antennas to achieve this with the new ones so I kept the existing one. I have international and Latino packages.

I posted this on a different thread because we had other troubles. Is this setup Ok?

Last edited:
CCTX said:
The final setup was

4 Satellite outputs ---> DP44 switch ---> Port 1 to Power Inserter and other 3 O/P ports to ----> Duo Node ---> Host 1 to tap--> to Hopper 1 and a splitter ---> to Joey 1 and Joey 2

Hopper 2 is connected to Duo Node's Host 2. Caps on Client 1 and Client 2 of Duo Node.

Does dpp500+ support 4 satellites? I was told I will need two antennas to achieve this with the new ones so I kept the existing one. I have international and Latino packages.

I posted this on a different thread because we had other troubles. Is this setup Ok?

Yes it does support 4. 110, 119, 118.7, 129