2 Hoppers- Timer/Recordings backup.

Jason B.

Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
I'm upgrading from hopper 1 to hopper 3.
I currently have 2 hoppers and 4 Joey's and will be upgrading to the new H3 with 5 Joey's. According to the person @ Dish that I spoke to when setting up my appointment, I should have no issues backing up both H1 timers and DVR content and put them on the new H3.

I'm quite doubtful...
Today I tried a test run by backing up my first H1 to an external drive... then plugged that drive into my second H1 and it won't even recognized it.

I'm frustrated because I have about 60 recordings between the two DVR's and don't want to lose them... plus about 35 timers.

Your program backups to an EHD will be compatible on the H3.
You will only be able to back up timers on one of your current Hoppers. Pick the one that has the most timers. Take photos of the timers on the other and then add them manually on the new H3.
Your 40 remotes will work just fine on the H3.

Your program backups to an EHD will be compatible on the H3.
You will only be able to back up timers on one of your current Hoppers. Pick the one that has the most timers. Take photos of the timers on the other and then add them manually on the new H3.
Your 40 remotes will work just fine on the H3.

Thanks for the rapid response!
I'm assuming Dish will take all of my old equipment along when they leave so I'll need to purchase the 40 remotes for the TV's I want to use them on. Can you recommend a source to pick them up at a decent price?

I'm assuming Dish will take all of my old equipment along when they leave so I'll need to purchase the 40 remotes for the TV's I want to use them on. Can you recommend a source to pick them up at a decent price?
Hide your remotes and tell them that the dog ate them.... :) Seriously, tell them that you want to keep the old remotes.

Hide your remotes and tell them that the dog ate them.... :) Seriously, tell them that you want to keep the old remotes.

Will do! One thing I always liked about Dish Network from day one was the remotes. They have always kept them laid out the same way from model to model and even when they added the DVR controls they were laid out in such a way that was very user-friendly I feel. When I saw photos of the new remote I couldn't believe they went to something so basic looking and then adding the side buttons that just seemed to be nothing but a headache.

If you can't find a good price anyplace go to your mydish.com account and order from DISH for $20.00. But if you wait and have your Hopper 3 installed, I am not sure if you can get the 40.0 remote thru your account. If you call DISH they might let you order them.

Reactions: Jason B.
Once you adapt to the new 52 remote control , it is pretty easy . It took me about three weeks to adjust to it and learn what all the buttons do. Just have to learn that OPTIONS is your key to choices in any menu , guide, for tv activity etc. Back button is like live tv or like cancel or can be used to hit record, or to stop a recording when finished viewing etc. The side buttons are a little harder to see, if your eyes are getting harder to see up close like mine are. But it too is easy to remember that the top button on the side is for SAT, the second button is for TV , the third button is for Aux or A/v receiver and the fourth button is for INPUT. HDMI -CEC doesn't work on my A/v receiver and my Phillips hd tv, so when I turn off my sat receiver at night I push the sat power on the top left, then the tv button on the top right and then the side button for Aux or A/V receiver to turn that off. In the morning I just reverse it and hit power button while I am still in Aux or A/v receiver mode , then hit tv and then sat button on the side that puts me back in satellite mode and I'm all set. But, I still want to get one of those voice activated remote controls when they come out. Really want to see how that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Once you adapt to the new 52 remote control , it is pretty easy .
I use the 52.0 every once and a while, still use my 40.0 90% of the time. I have them on all the Joey 2.0's too. I think the 40.0 is the best remote they ever made.

Last edited:
...Today I tried a test run by backing up my first H1 to an external drive... then plugged that drive into my second H1 and it won't even recognized it.

I'm frustrated because I have about 60 recordings between the two DVR's and don't want to lose them... plus about 35 timers.

Try resetting that second Hopper. It should recognize the drive formatted on your first Hopper. And/or try a different USB port.

Back up the timers/settings to the remote on the Hopper with the most timers. Use your cell to photograph your timer list on the other one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts