Status
Not open for further replies.

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
1) Spam is kind of heavy today. Is it normal amounts or is there perhaps a new hole in vb3.5.4 that they're exploiting? Any update to the 3.6 timetable?

2) Quoting seems messed up. Before it would quote the whole message, including quoting previous messages. Now it removes all the 3rd party quotes and only quotes the poster of the message. Say scott makes a post, Ler quotes him and replies, and then I quote Ler's message containing scott's quote. Now it removes scott's quote and only gives me LER's, which may not be what I want.

Especially noticable when someone is taking a post and responding to multiple points with multiple quote breaks. It removes all the 3rd party quotes and it doesn't make any sense with the blank spaces. Hope that made sense.

1) Scott started really working on vb 3.6 yesterday. No timetable yet because the software is beta and things are still changing in the software.

2) Thats the way the quote system has always worked. The new software will actually let you "Multi Quote"

Are you 100% it's always been that way? I'm going to have to see a doctor if i'm just noticing that...

The spam issue is hitting all over. vB 3.6 does have an advanced "CAPTCHA" (image verification for new sign-ups) which should weed out some of the spam.

The sad thing is I read a thread somewhere that the idiots have figured how to have the older CAPTCHA read by a machine so they can get their garbage posted.

I'm with Purogamer on the "quote" issue. I seem to remember that previously the quote feature quoted the entire message including quotes inside the quoted message. But I too could be in need of medical attention :)

See ya
Tony

Quotes in threads have always quoted just the actual post not any quotes within.

However PM's quotes include quotes so maybe that is where you've seen it.

N0QCU is correct, I even checked the vBulletin manuals to make sure.

The SPAM issue is one we are fighting as hard as we can, there are automated scripts causing the issues, luckily 90% of the spam is being caught and deleted automatically, but some is getting through and we are trying our best to clean it up asap.

If you see any please report the post and someone will take care of it ASAP.

Scott Greczkowski said:
N0QCU is correct, I even checked the vBulletin manuals to make sure.

I think I'm with Purogamer & Tony too but even if they are not totally correct, I'm pretty darn sure I remember quotes working different than it does now.

I'm positive it was easier to cut & paste quotes too. At least you could cut & paste and it would keep a box around them. Now the box shows up when you first paste a quote but it goes away when you do a "preview" and leaves just the text.

Scott GreczkowskiN0QCU is correct, I even checked the vBulletin manuals to make sure.

The SPAM issue is one we are fighting as hard as we can, there are automated scripts causing the issues, luckily 90% of the spam is being caught and deleted automatically, but some is getting through and we are trying our best to clean it up asap.

If you see any please report the post and someone will take care of it ASAP.

waltinvt said:
I think I'm with Purogamer & Tony too but even if they are not totally correct, I'm pretty darn sure I remember quotes working different than it does now.

I'm positive it was easier to cut & paste quotes too. At least you could cut & paste and it would keep a box around them. Now the box shows up when you first paste a quote but it goes away when you do a "preview" and leaves just the text.

Scott
I just replied to my previous post, which was a quoted reply to your post and your quote is now gone.

Normally I should at least be able to copy it by scrolling down from here and paste it in at the top of this post above my quote. I'll try and see what happens.
Ok, just did it and it's all contained in a box that keeps your name on the left and the message body on the right, so it should look reasonable.
If I go to preview however, that box goes away but I'm not going to do that right now - I'm just going to click submit and see what happens.

Ok, as you can see Scott's original quote did not stay in the box and now looks like part of my post. I don't think it used to do that.

Um, I posted this last tuesday, and there's nothing scott can do about the issues at least until the new vBulletin software is running, so what are you talking about?

Purogamer said:
Um, I posted this last tuesday, and there's nothing scott can do about the issues at least until the new vBulletin software is running, so what are you talking about?

I'm talking about the "quotes" issue only and was sort of agreeing with you and Tony that I thought they were not working the same as they used to.

I assumed from previous posts that Scott was checking / working on that issue and hence the remark about holiday weekend but I may have misunderstood the situation. If I did, I'm sorry but ya doesn't have to get snippy at me.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts