2 Ports of DP Quad with DPP44?

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Hello, all. I have every confidence that someone can answer this question with authority, but, first, here is the background:

A friend has a Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Quad LNBF feeding two 625's. He wants to add a 322 to his system.

QUESTION: Can he use 2 ports of the DP Quad to continue feeding one 625, but use the other 2 ports to feed a DPP44 Switch?

The outputs of the DPP44 would feed the other 625 and the new 322 using DP separators (all in the same room), and connect the backfeed cable to the new 322 instead of the current 625 as is the current situation.

The reason he prefers this set-up as opposed to a DP34 is that it is the easiest for him to perform. If the DPP44 works with 2 ports of the DP Quad, then he doesn't have to lay down new satellite cables from a DP34 to the new 322.

I appreciate your response and help in advance.
Thank you.:)

Yeah, but at that point he wouldn't need a Quad anymore. Replace it with a DP Twin, get separators for all the receivers, and run all the lines from the DPP-44.

What Dish should offer is a DPP Quad, with an external input like the DPP Twin, and an internal switch.

Yeah, but at that point he wouldn't need a Quad anymore. Replace it with a DP Twin, get separators for all the receivers, and run all the lines from the DPP-44.

What Dish should offer is a DPP Quad, with an external input like the DPP Twin, and an internal switch.

He doesn't need to replace the Quad. Like you said, just run two cables to the DPP44 and feed the 3 dual tuners from the DPP44. If receiver location is an issue, you could feed some receivers from the DPP44 and a dual tuner from the Quad.

Last edited:

Why go to the expense of getting an additional Twin when the Quad will work nicely to feed the DPP44 and additional receivers.:)

If you use the Quad running to the DPP44, remember pair ports 1 and 4 or ports 2 and 3.

And to answer your original question, yes you can contiune to use ports on the LNB itself, remember the latter though.

"If you use the Quad running to the DPP44, remember pair ports 1 and 4 or ports 2 and 3."

You can also do ports 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. That's how I had mine setup and never had problems.

There's also a good document here on DP Quad Installation examples:
http://www.cvssystems.com/techservice/dishpro/DishPro_Quad_Examples.pdf

Thanks for the link. I'll look at that.

In the past I've tried using 2 and 3 together. It should work, I am certain that it does work. It has to work. But for some reason on this job here....

I had 6 tuners, total, 2 DP34s chained together. 110/119/61.5 On every IRD after running check switching I kept getting errors.

I couldn't get all 3 birds in. I started standard troubleshooting steps. Nogo.

I asked a couple of senior techs about it, and from what I heard is just as you said, but sometimes its like the IRD gets confused. As soon as I went 1-4 they all popped in.

On edit:

I just looked at that and it shows to use the 34's with 1,2 or 3,4, not to use it as 1,4, or 2,3.

Crazy.

1 and 4 should work too, just wanted to clarify that it's possible to use 1 and 2. It's just that it makes it easier (at least for me) to know 1 and 2 go to the switch (or dual tuner) and 3 and 4 go to the dual tuner (or switch).

Thank you, all, for the quick and helpful replies. RandallA hit when he mentioned receiver placement. My friend does not want to do any change-outs or laying long lengths of of new cable, no work like that. The reason he wants to use the DPP44 solution it that it requires no replacement of hardware or the pain (for him) of running lots of new cable.
Well, as to the port pairs: Keep in mind that some of the info floating around regarding this solution is almost 3 years old. I was aware of the strange port pairing, but it sounds like Dish must have upgraded the software to allow consecutive port pairing (1 & 2 or 3 & 4) since then. That is why I asked you good folks. I wanted to know what the real, nearly 3 years hence, application was regarding DP Quads and a DPP44. I am pleased to hear that RandallA confirms that he has an actual functioning set-up with consecutive port pairs (being 110 & 119)
Thinks, again, to all of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts