2 questions for you guys : Voom Remote Control and Moving to another Address

Juiced

Original poster
May 12, 2004
First off, has anyone had any issues where their remote stops working? I tried to read through the 'Known Issues' thread by doing a search for remote. They only way I've found I can fix this is by rebooting (and losing all my guide data). While I know reboots seem common I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is happening. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the VCR (...shiver..) I had to hook up the other night since it never happened before that. Maybe the Voom box doesn't like the IR for the VCR?

Next question that maybe no one will know.... since Voom is still a bit of a baby; has anyone had it long enough where they moved with the service? I've had the service for a few weeks and we're building a house that will be done in September. I'm wonder if they will reinstall the system or if I'm better off doing it myself. I checked over their site (of the many sites they've given us in recent weeks) and I've been unable to find any info on it.

Thanks for anyone who can offer help or links to the info. My apologies if this has been covered before.

Juiced said:
First off, has anyone had any issues where their remote stops working? I tried to read through the 'Known Issues' thread by doing a search for remote. They only way I've found I can fix this is by rebooting (and losing all my guide data). While I know reboots seem common I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is happening. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the VCR (...shiver..) I had to hook up the other night since it never happened before that. Maybe the Voom box doesn't like the IR for the VCR?

Next question that maybe no one will know.... since Voom is still a bit of a baby; has anyone had it long enough where they moved with the service? I've had the service for a few weeks and we're building a house that will be done in September. I'm wonder if they will reinstall the system or if I'm better off doing it myself. I checked over their site (of the many sites they've given us in recent weeks) and I've been unable to find any info on it.

Thanks for anyone who can offer help or links to the info. My apologies if this has been covered before.
Is the remote not working or is the box not working? Next time try using the buttons on the front of the STB. I've had Voom for two months now and it has locked like that twice, I only watch an hour a two per day(if that).

As far as moving goes, just don't change your phone number and they won't be any wiser. Just tell them for billing reasons you have a new address.

Juiced said:

What you experienced was most likely a lockup. You can easily tell whether it is a lockup or a problem with your remote by trying channel up/down buttons on the STB itself. If they don't work, your box has locked up and you need to reboot. This is probably unrelated to your VCR, but you never know. Keep us posted if it happens again.

As you said, VOOM is a new company, so I am not sure mooving procedures have been established, yet. But check out this thread.

Edit: By the time I posted my reply, two more people have answered the questions. Isn't this a great a place to ask questions?!!

Ilya said:
As you said, VOOM is a new company, so I am not sure mooving procedures

Mooving.... now that's how you can point out a die hard Voom'er. ;)

Thanks for the quick replies you guys. Yes, this was a box lock up since the buttons on the box didn't work either. I'll do some testing tonight to see if the IR from the VCR remote is causing the lock up.

My stb locked up the other night right after I brought up Info for a show. I still had a picture and audio but it would not respond to the remote or the buttons so I had to do a reset.

even though it was determined to be a stb lock up, one other thing to watch for, is there is a light that flashes on the stb when you use the remote. That would tell you if the remote is working I would think. That is if the buttons on the stb work ok and the stb is not locked up.

Juiced said:
Mooving.... now that's how you can point out a die hard Voom'er. ;)
That was a good one! :yes

I'll do some testing tonight to see if the IR from the VCR remote is causing the lock up.
Just don't change channels too quickly. Pressing Page Up/Down button at a rate of 2-3 clicks a second is known to cause lockups.

mkatts said:
...one other thing to watch for, is there is a light that flashes on the stb when you use the remote. That would tell you if the remote is working I would think.
Well, not necessarily... I saw different types of lockups: in some cases the light was blinking, in others it was not...

mkatts said:
even though it was determined to be a stb lock up, one other thing to watch for, is there is a light that flashes on the stb when you use the remote. That would tell you if the remote is working I would think. That is if the buttons on the stb work ok and the stb is not locked up.
When my stb locked up, the light flashed on the stb but did not respond. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts