2 Recievers on 2 dishes 1 motor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BarneyBean

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Ordered a second reciever and was wondering if I can connect it to my motorized dish along with the other reciever. I have one dish with the motor and a second aimed at G10. I know I can connect it to the one dish aimed at G10 but I was wondering if its possible to have 2 recievers on one motorized dish and if so what switch or switches I would need.

one solution

There are a number of solutions to the problem.
I'm sure several others will post good ideas.

This may not be the best solution for you, but it will work.
If both your dishes have LNBs with two outputs, then the 2nd output of each LNB goes to a 2-input (or more) diseqc switch, and then to the 2nd receiver.

The first receiver would hook to the motor, and then to the output of another diseqc switch ...
...the inputs of the switch would be the motorized LNB and the stationary LNB.
Only receiver one moves the motor.

Hope I said that clearly... and accurately.

Well they are Primestars but they have only 1 output on each, I'm mostly concerned about the stationary dish at G10 it has only one output. If I get the other dish working that would be a bonus. It's probably gonna come down to switches.

You're going to need dual lnbs, or you're going to end up frustrated because you can only see one polarity at a time from both receivers.

If you don't want to use dual lnbs, and you're willing to live with the "one polarity at a time" problem, then you could get a couple high-frequency splitters and just split the signal to both receivers. You'll probably want to get ones that are "one port power passing" so that both receivers cannot pass power to the lnb and confuse it and/or potentially feedback harmful voltage to the other receiver.

Your other option if you don't want to go with duals, is to run a cable from the "loop out" connector of your main receiver and into your 2nd receiver. you'll be able to watch only the satellite that your main receiver is watching, and only the polarities that it is watching, but it won't require any additional equipment to get your 2nd receiver up and running.

If you go for the primestar lnb's with two outputs, those are not duals, but output 2 polarities. You'll need to connect the two outputs from the primestar lnb into a multiswitch so that your receiver will see both polarities on one satellite.

Any of the site supporters sell pretty good dual lnbs. They will run you somewhere in the range of 30-40 dollars each. And they won't fit a primestar dish without some simple modifications.

Thinking about it, you might check ebay for some of those 2-output lnbs designed for primestars, as they perform pretty well (as they are designed for that dish).. you can probably pick up a pair of those and a couple cheap (say $5 max each) multiswitches and come out a bit cheaper than 2 dual lnbf's that you'll have to modify to fit the primestar dish.

Another option is to use the FSS stacked LNB from a Superdish. These will bolt right onto the C-120 flange of a Primestar feedhorn, and output both polarities at the same time over a single cable by stacking the horizontal transponders at a higher frequency range above the verticals. I have this LNB on my Channel Master dish on G-10R. You'll need either a blind scan receiver to find the horizontals or a calculator to figure out the stacked frequencies.

follow-up

I like Tron's idea with the stacked LNBs.
You would need an appropriate switch to go with it, and the Dish DP34 would be a cheap solution.
I've picked them up for from free to $20, with $10 being about average.
It would give you capabilities of up to 3 LNBs, feeding up to 4 receivers.
Those LNBs have been discussed here, so there's plenty of information on using them.
Oh, and some receivers just know how to talk to them without any trouble - what receiver do you have?

The other clever idea was to get the two-output LNBs from old Primestar dishes.
Those have V on one output and H on the other.
While you could combine 'em with two 2x2 or 2x4 multiswitches, it might be even easier if you used a 4x4 switch.
Then, 22khz off and 13/18 v would select the two polarities of one LNB, and 22khz on with 13/18 v would select the other LNB.
This idea has also been discussed with diagrams here recently, but we can find you a picture if it'd be helpful.

That's why I love this forum, plus the fact I have a satellite shop up the road is great, I'm gonna go with Anoles idea about the Primestar LNB's and I will post my results after the new year. Merry Christmas to all

Well, Lumpkin actually brought it up.
I was just going over the options.

I told ya there would be several good ideas posted.
We're just full of 'em. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)