2 Room 722 Installation w/ OTA - Is it Possible w/ 1 COAX feed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeffro34tx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Dallas, TX
I'm just wondering if there is anyway to combine the 2 sat tuners + OTA on one COAX feed going to the 722, while also using the same COAX to backfeed the 2nd tuner to a secondary room.

I'm thinking the answer is no... but not sure, that's why I'm asking. :confused:

If you're asking, "can you put SAT feed, TV2, and OTA on the same piece of coax?",then the answer is yes...with some amount of work and difficulty. Depending on the arrangement of rooms in your home it can be done with some diplexers and splitters.

How difficult? I know I can get both tuners & the OTA to the 722 using the single coax, but I am wondering how to get the backfeed of the 2nd tuner to the second room.

Do you have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Without the benefit of any visual aids (JPGs) I'm going to have to do the best I can :)

Assuming you already have the 722 installed...and TV2 is using diplexers at both the receiver and where it splits off from the incoming SAT feed. "Combine" your incoming OTA with your TV2, using an inverted 2-way splitter. Take that aggregate OTA/TV2 into the UHF/VHF port of your diplexer. The exact opposite occurs at the back of your 722 receiver; "uncombine" things on the UHF/VHF port of the diplexer by using a 2-way splitter (this time NOT inverted). Leg #1 of the splitter feeds your TV2 output of the receiver....Leg #2 feeds your OTA input of the receiver.

Apologies in advance for the description.

EDIT: OK...found a document that kind of gives a representation. Check out page 3. Now instead of a separate run for TV2...you can "combine/uncombine" things with a 2 two-way splitters. One splitter at the receiver....between the diplexer and receiver. The other splitter at the output of the diplexer where your OTA and SAT feeds are combined

Attachments

• 20061025_OffAirSD_Antenna_Installation_DISHNotes.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Ok, I think I understand what you're suggesting... I'll give it a shot. I believe I have enough of the items needed.

Thanks again... I'll get back with ya if I couldn't get it.. :cool:

Also note that in order to avoid interference with your TV2 signal you may have to play around with the channel number. Using splitters with high isolation may help a little, but picking a channel number that is not within 2 channels of any local broadcast digital or analog is your best bet.

Yep, the biggest challenge will be avoiding interference on the backfeed. In addition to playing around with channel choices for TV2, you may also want to try some attenuation. In my experience, what you're asking for is a challenge to make work well.

If cost were no object, you could buy narrowband channel-matched filters to isolate the TV2 signal at the other end. But if cost were no object, you could probably also run another wire. Do you have any other wiring in place? CAT-5?

You should have no problem combining the OTA with the sat feed through the splitter/diplexer setup described above. Like its already been mentioned you might get some interferance but if your still using the default ch. 60/73 on your backfeed shouldnt cause any issues since most OTA channels are down in the 2-30 range.

I presently combine the tv2 output of my 625 with my ota signal. That "combined" signal feeds 4 other tv's. Each tv can watch the local ota channels or the satellite channel. I can't remember the name or model # of the device I am using, but it works great. Not only does it combine, it also amplifies the ota signal. It is similar to the Super Home Node unit that can be found on ebay.

BUMP! New question...

Hi everybody,

After a lot of searching, I think this thread might answer a question, but I need your help.

I have a "standard" 722k installation, both tuners carried over 1 coax to my Living Room site (where the 722k is), then TV 2 is backfed via Home Distribution.

Here's my question. At the TV 2 location, I can very easily throw an off air antenna in my attic. Can I use splitters to "inject" the OTA signal at TV2 location so that they end up at TV 1 where my 722k is?

Basically I want my antenna to be near TV 2 instead of an outside mounted antenna, but I still want the best OTA signal possible for the OTA tuner on the 722k at TV1.

Much thanks to the members of this board!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts