2 separate 522s reformatted same day

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GRS1959

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
oHIo
I hit the DVR button on my remote Friday night, only to find the HD had reformatted...erasing about 65 hrs of progams.

Today, I get a call from my friend (who has a 522, also) and said his did the exact same thing on the very same day.

Coincidence? I think not. I called Dish and, of course, they will not say it was anything other than a random hardware issue. I was told that a note was placed on my account and if it happened again, they would be happy to replace the box (while charging me $14.95 S/H). WHen I commented that maybe I should switch to DTV and see if their equipment was more reliable, I was told that was certainly one of my options. :rolleyes:

GRS1959 said:
I hit the DVR button on my remote Friday night, only to find the HD had reformatted...erasing about 65 hrs of progams.

Today, I get a call from my friend (who has a 522, also) and said his did the exact same thing on the very same day.

Coincidence? I think not. I called Dish and, of course, they will not say it was anything other than a random hardware issue. I was told that a note was placed on my account and if it happened again, they would be happy to replace the box (while charging me $14.95 S/H). WHen I commented that maybe I should switch to DTV and see if their equipment was more reliable, I was told that was certainly one of my options. :rolleyes:

So you think DISH conspired to reformat the hard drives of you and your friend?

GRS1959 said:

And other people say I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY 522/625, I am like you my showroom 522 has erased programming. It is BAD DISH SOFTWARE!!!!!!! :(

boba said:
And other people say I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH MY 522/625, I am like you my showroom 522 has erased programming. It is BAD DISH SOFTWARE!!!!!!! :(

I have had no problems with my 522. :)

I've never had one reformat, but this is my 4th 522.

#1: Smashed by a Semi enroute to install :mad:
#2: Tuner went bad :(
#3: Hard Drive overheated to 138~140' :dev
#4: Still working... :cool:

Mark_AR said:
I've never had one reformat, but this is my 4th 522.

#1: Smashed by a Semi enroute to install :mad:
#2: Tuner went bad :(
#3: Hard Drive overheated to 138~140' :dev
#4: Still working... :cool:

I don't think #1 qualifies as the fault of DISH. How exactly did the receiver get in the path of a truck anyway?

Mine reformatted itself last night. I lost nearly 90 hrs worth of stuff I had yet to watch, plus over 30 timers.

Whilst the CSR was nice enough, he could only send me a new unit (For which he would waive the shipping fee, how nice :( ) This has happened to me three times now, and whilst the new space on the drive is welcome, I'd rather not have to pay through the nose to record stuff that I'll never get to watch as the hardware and crappy software seem to conspire to free me of the burden of enduring crap Like The Apprentice and The Martha "Convicted Felon" Stewart show ( I blame the missus for those two)

Not happy.

chaddux said:
I don't think #1 qualifies as the fault of DISH. How exactly did the receiver get in the path of a truck anyway?
Installer put it in pickup with boxes of cables and other stuff and pulled out onto the hwy. It must have bumped/jumped out of the back(some curb egresses are uneven with roadway).

The in store rep looked out the window to see it fall out of the truck and the semi hit the box going about 45 right under the front tire. No chance to save it. I'm assuming the other 8 wheels ran over it consecutively.

I saw it the next day in the store. The thickest part was just over an inch. It was flattened. I wanted it for parts, but the installer needed it for insurance purposes.

Poor thing never even got a chance to be activated. :(

Mark_AR said:
No chance to save it. The thickest part was just over an inch. It was flattened. I wanted it for parts.

For some reason, your story seems to have a problem. You said there was no chance to save it and it had been flattened to no more than an inch at its thickest point. Then, you say you wanted it for parts. If it was actually run over and was actually no more than an inch thick, exactly which parts did you want and exactly which parts did you expect to still work?

sA :: Shaggy said:
maybe the hdd

Come on. Be serious. If it was run over by a truck at 45 mph and has been flattened to no more than an inch, the hard drive is NOT going to be in working order.

It was a shot for the HDD...

Everything else was unrecoverable. The HDD actually survived the mishap(installer said) & when he plugged it into his PC just to see if it worked, it did.

If you've ever taken apart a 522, you can see that the HDD is boxed in a metal enclosure so there is a good liekelyhood of it surviving a static crash.

Maxtor boasts shock survival at 300G's powered off.

Pdf Datasheet

So my interest was justified...

Well, the 522/625 will erase shows that have been left on the drive unprotected for more than 2 months or atleast its supposed to. While I was down in florida and alabama for hurricane relief work my 508 erased a protected movie that was a year old but left my timers intact.

Van said:
Well, the 522/625 will erase shows that have been left on the drive unprotected for more than 2 months or atleast its supposed to. While I was down in florida and alabama for hurricane relief work my 508 erased a protected movie that was a year old but left my timers intact.

I only see 2 huge problems with this post...

So WHAT if a program is 2 months old, who the f**k do they think they are telling me how long I can hold a program. This isn't blockbuster...

It deleted a PROTECTED Movie? Just on it's own? OMG i'm almost at my breaking point, that's wrong in so many ways...

My 522 erased everything last week also, we started all over recording fine this last week then last night it shut down and will not re-boot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts