2 tv on 1 receiver

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I hooked up 2 tv from a 2 splitter after the receiver .......
Both Toshiba... When they put in the dish I told them not to worry about a second receiver for
seperate channels. Now I want a second one. Are they going to bitch about giving me another one now for free, 6 months later..?????
One alternative would be to only have 1 tv going at a time but with the reciever in a different
room its out of range... unless someone knows a creative way to rig up a homemade way
to send a signal to the receiver in the other room. thanks
i love you
not really

Dish will not give free receivers after the initial install. A new coax run has to be made from the dish to the new receiver location. You may want to check if your current receiver can be accessed by uhf remotes, if not there are signal senders you can use to send the signal from the remote to the receiver location. Either way, you may want to buy a second remote for the second room.

you mean a special remote that can go thru a 2x4 wall, in my case only 10 ft.?????
I noticed that if I open the door about 10 inches and point the remote out the door it will work
sometimes.... that is NOT a line of sight thing but I guess the signal is bouncing off the side of an island and then hitting the reciever.
Ever hear of running some kind of wire from the back of the reciever that picks up a signal just
enough to work..????

You need to identify the model of your receiver and remotes. Some STBs only have IR remotes and thus will not go though walls. If the back of the remote says IR you will have to bounce the beam.

If possible, wire the one TV with red-white-yellow RCA (right left and video composite) cables unless one is HD, then use component or HDMI. These are much better than RF/coax connections.
-Ken

my remote is EchoStar 3.2 ir
There are repeaters though for switching channels thru a wall..????
Who makes a cheap but ok one..????
another question. I hooked up my RCA cables from Toshiba and was surprised that the TV
didnt work unless the coax was attached also... I would have thought the red,white and yellow cables would be enough to connect the tv1 to the reciever..??? it did improve the sound a little though.
I would never run 2 tv s at the same time.. but, the signal would be somewhat degraded if it was running multiple tv s , yes..????What do you think..:tux:
I found this one on Amazon... think it will work???
Terk Technologies LF-IRX Leapfrog Remote Control Extender

Last edited:
It's probably cheaper to get the RF model if your receiver supports it. You still did not identify your STB model. The 722, for example, uses a 5.3 IR or a 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote. Sounds like you have an older STB. Yes, there are IR extenders but if your STB supports UHF then use it. Did you change your TV source to AV1 or such for composite (yellow) vs. RF/ant? Use S-video in preference to composite for more video bandwidth--brightness plus color signals vs. both on one cable.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)