2 TV's to 811 receiver

skyeblues

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I just purchased a new Westinghouse 32" HD-Ready for $899 and will pick it up on Tuesday. I am not a subscriber to DISH, and have spent a good amount of time the last couple of days reading posts, DISH website, etc regarding HD. I am interested in the 811 for the HD w/o DVR. My older tv still works, and I would like to use it in a separate room along with the little tv out on the front screened in porch. It is not HD and has S-video and RG in and out cable hookups as well as a coaxial. I live in a rural area with no cable access so that is not an option.

My question is ==> can I get by with just one 821 receiver for both tv's? I live alone, and will not have to have convenience of separate channel switching. In the old days I had *D and was able to do this, but with the newer hd hookups and requirements I am a newbie. I dropped my *D service when I began school, and am about to finish that up and am rewarding myself with satellite tv again. Any help would be appreciated, as I have not yet signed up with DISH. Thanks.

Or, you could buy a S-video to chan 3/4 modulator and run coax to the second TV. Also purchase a second remote and you can control the channel at the second TV.

G

Or, you could buy a S-video to chan 3/4 modulator and run coax to the second TV.
I am planning on doing the same thing. I am newbie any suggetions on what Modulator to use
Thanks

Steve

I just hooked my 811 to my tv in my bedroom as well as my HDTV in my living room. The best thing to do since the 811 doesn't have a rf out is to buy a rf modulator as mentioned in this post. It works great! The rf remote works great on the 811 if you have it. It works through walls and everything. If not...then you can buy a remote control extender .....they work wonders.

steve617 said:
Or, you could buy a S-video to chan 3/4 modulator and run coax to the second TV.
I am planning on doing the same thing. I am newbie any suggetions on what Modulator to use
Thanks

Steve
I purchased a Philips rf mod from a Kmart by me in NY. It was $23.00 and has a s-video input and rca input. The one in Radio Shack was 30 bucks and does the same exact thing.

steve617 said:
Thanks

Steve

Got mine from Circuit City.

I am beginning to love this site! I only discovered it yesterday after making my tv purchase. I appreciate everyone's reply and will definitely invest in the rf modulator. Thank you all for the replies! I will post an update as soon as I get it hooked up.

skyeblues said:
I am beginning to love this site! I only discovered it yesterday after making my tv purchase. I appreciate everyone's reply and will definitely invest in the rf modulator. Thank you all for the replies! I will post an update as soon as I get it hooked up.

Kool! You will love it here :)

BTW, RadioShack sells a Stereo MTS modulator in their Deluxe DVD connection package, which works just fine for any Dish receiver with a spare set of RCA outputs. It costs a little more, but it's the cheapest MTS modulator I've come across.

I appreciate it. I work in a shopping center where there is a radioshack, and will walk over there tomorrow and check it out. I picked up my tv today (I like it!), and DISH is coming out Saturday to do the hookup. I wound up signing up for the 811; the HD package and VOOM channels as well. This will require an extra dish for the VOOM which will cost an extra $100, but I'm going for it.

skyeblues said:
I appreciate it. I work in a shopping center where there is a radioshack, and will walk over there tomorrow and check it out. I picked up my tv today (I like it!), and DISH is coming out Saturday to do the hookup. I wound up signing up for the 811; the HD package and VOOM channels as well. This will require an extra dish for the VOOM which will cost an extra $100, but I'm going for it.

I think you are getting on board at an exciting time, seems dish has had alot of movement on their satellites as far as channels go in the last two weeks, and we can only hope they are getting ready to add some HD content, as well as the rest of the Voom channels by early next year!!!

Well, Dish came out and hooked me up today. It is fantastic! I got the HD package as well as VOOM and have 2 satellite dishes. As soon as they left I ran over to Walmart and bought a Phillips 6' DVI cable, but it seemed to make very little difference in the already fine quality I am getting. Also hooked up the modulator I bought, following the advice in this forum. Worked like a charm. The tv in the other room (the non-HD one) comes in crystal clear as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)