2 year committment and package question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
I am really thinking about going to Directv but the 2 year agreement is making me leary about the whole thing. The cancellation policy, according to one of Directv's CSRs, says it is $20.00 for each remaining month left in your agreement. I think that is rather steep but I understand they do want to keep customers. I see that after 1 year, your price goes up $18.00 a month.
Is there any way to get them to waive the cancellation policy or not have your bill go up $18.00 after one year? I would even be willing to prepay for a whole year. Thanks.

the price does not go up after one year - rather the price does not continue to come down after one year .... the $18 per month is a discount that is given to you on the assumption that you sign up and pay the second year at full price ...

if it helps you any - figure it out as a $9 discount for two years ... ;)

Get a AAA membership and signup via the AAA phone number and add $10 per month for the two years of your contract .. and now you are back to having a $19 per month discount - but for two years not just one ...

Get a referral link and take an extra $50 - $10*5 months signup for paperless billing and autopay and get an additional $20 discount (one time) and also get yourself free starz for three months and free showtime for 12 months ...

is it looking any better for you yet ?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-additional-240-off-new-directv-customer.html

I agree that a two year commitment - especially without any kind of "trial period" to ensure service works as it should is downright stupid .... both providers have this policy now ... i think dish's get out of jail fee is slightly lower - but the 24 month commitment is still there ... If either service was confident in the product that it was selling - there should be no need for commitments.

I personally have never heard of a commitment with directv being waived ... I'm not saying that its never happened ... but I've never seen it. The initial install and equipment will probably run a company approx $3-500 each customer - they have got to ensure that they get their money somehow I guess.

The cancellation policy, according to one of Directv's CSRs, says it is $20.00 for each remaining month left in your agreement.
This is consistent with the text of the Lease Addendum on the DIRECTV website. See the paragraph that begins with "CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR FAILURE".
Is there any way to get them to waive the cancellation policy or not have your bill go up $18.00 after one year?.
No. They don't view you as being different from any of their other thousands of new customers.

You may be confusing DIRECTV with DISH Network who does let you buy your way out of a commitment up front.

The whole situation that they've moved into really stinks. You pay for the equipment, yet it's a lease, and you still have to pay rental fees each month. Then, they stick you with a contract and no grace period to get out of it. I love DirecTV, their quality of service, and the channels they offer but wow, they are worse than cell phone companies when it comes to retention policies.

The whole situation that they've moved into really stinks. You pay for the equipment, yet it's a lease, and you still have to pay rental fees each month. Then, they stick you with a contract and no grace period to get out of it. I love DirecTV, their quality of service, and the channels they offer but wow, they are worse than cell phone companies when it comes to retention policies.

I would imagine, if you really wanted to, you could BUY your equipment.
You currently pay an up front fee on a HD DVR (HR20/21) of $ 199 at the most.
IF you wanted to purchase it, they go for $ 850.
If you lease it and something happens that it doesn't work right, you call them and they send you a new/ referbed one.
Wheres your $ 850 at that point ?

I use to buy ALL my equipment and prefered it that way, but that was back when there were a variety of products out there (layouts, different companies making them)
Now I am glad I have a lease, one of mine is a refurbed unit and works great !

Jimbo

Actually, I've been wondering what the policy is currently if you move, though, and don't have a southern view? Are they waiving like they used to, or do you still get stuck with the cancellation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)