20,000 feet closer to Voom

That crevasse is really beautiful! [Mind out of the gutter, this is actually an appropriate moment to use the word.]

And the Crater/Cone area? Is that Shira or Mawenzi?

It is very cool looking. Nice images. The cloud shots are terrific. You can tell why the Masai call it Oldoinyo Oibor (white mountain... but don't tell New Hampshire, because as a Vermonter, I'd hate for them to coopt Tanzania unless they are moving there.)

Thank you for bringing this to us. It is another bright spot in a tense and uncertain future on the VOOM end user front. Grin.

I hope you got some killer Peaberry coffee.

Best,

Rick
[Former and Future ATSC Human and ongoing Videogame Professional]

Thank you all again for the good words.

We decided to take the Rongai route, which is MUCH less traveled. It was closed to climbers up until a few years ago. The starting point is almost on the border with Kenya. Going this way allowed us to experience two routes: Rongai - up and Marangu - down. Marangu is the very crowded tourist route, on the way up we were the only group, but on the way down we met close to a 100 people making their way up.

We stopped by Mawenzi - camp 4 (Mawenzi Tarn), the beautiful "little" sister mountain of Kilimanjaro. It is about 100 meters lower then the Kibo Hut point (base camp of Kili) which is at 4750 meters (about 15500 feet). But this is a VERY technical peak, with straight up walls requiring major skills.

The weather changes were very drastic. From +90 at the bottom to -20 at the top... Water in the bottles froze by 3rd hour as we started our final climb to the top at 12 midnight on the 5th day. We got to Uhuru (5,896 m) at about 8 am. Tired and breathless, from the climb and from the view of the world below us, we toasted with a small can of Heineken. It was nice and cold :)) How many people can say they drank beer on the Roof of Africa? :)

It was just amazing. The site and the feeling of being on top of the highest peak in Africa and one of the 7 highest peaks of the world was incredible.

As far as OTAs up there... dont know yet, but I called Installs and made an appointment for next week. My directions: Take a left at Mawenzi, stop by Kibo Hut and continue up to the top of the big hill. :)

WOW, sixfrost, that's all I can say...I checked in too late a few weeks ago to wish you well on the ascent, but am delighted that the ascent and the descent were so successful...the pics were exquisite!!

How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful adventure!! You have made me really jealous...but I'm still hoping I'll have such a day to come!

Congratulations...and I'm wishing you many more adventures (hopefully, with HD cameras in hand!) Vicki :D

sixfrost said:
Hey, Voom crowd.

I am going on vacation tomorrow. Four of us are going to climb Kilimanjaro - the tallest peak in Africa.

With the recent developments, I'd like to dedicate my climb to Voom.

I am not a Voom customer, but lets just say... I am directly involved. :)

I will post some pics in two weeks upon my return. I will bring the Voom logo to the the Roof of Africa!! Wish me luck.

VIVA LA VOOM!!!!

Awesome, good luck!

Which cam are you guys going to use? The 900? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts