$20 for HD is nuts

Some keep referring to C band. The only reason that C band was cheap was because the channels were already up there being delivered to cable and satellite who BTW were paying the transmission costs. You just got the channel for a processing fee. You had no say in getting new channels. You just took your slice of what was there. Now, in order to get most peoples slice the satellite or cable guy has to offer many channels and get paid for all of them in order to pay the provider for the service. You can still get alacarte on C band, but don't be surprised if your choices are quite limited.

Oh, the equivalent HD fee on D* will be $15 shortly and that does not include the VOOM channels.

I think if DISH would spin off the Voom channels to their own premium pack for $9.99 that most of the whining would go away. IT is all about perception. IF people thought that they could get hd channels for only $ 10.99 instead of $20.00 , they would feel like they got something for their money. Another way to do this is to just charge $9.99 tech fee for all hd receivers period and then charge $9.99 for the hd pack. This would spread the cost out to all hd subs iregardless of hd pack , to pay for the Voom channels. I'll say it again, it is all about the customer's perception. Do they get the most value for their money or not. Someday they will have to redesign all the programming packs to include all the hd versions and no seperate hd fee, because the majority of channels will be in hd anyway and I doubt anyone will want to pay an extra $20.00 to watch the hd channels ,when they are no longer a premium item.

I think if DISH would spin off the Voom channels to their own premium pack for $9.99 that most of the whining would go away.

Wouldn't that be nice? No more whining and posting of whining instead of manning up and just making the switch to the service that makes the most sense to you.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Where's the fun in that? There is no perverse satisfaction in just doing what seems best and leaving it at that.

The whining will never cease. As Anthony Smith, safety for the Steelers said, GUARANTEED. When they get SciFiHD it will be stretched or the PQ will be too low or the shows will be reruns too often or blah, blah, blah, blah....

The fact that my ridiculous tongue-in-cheek fast food analogy had to be torn down and reconstructed for a "proper" understanding of a millionaire's business practices is very telling.

The fact is, millions of subscribers could care less about SciFi so a few people threatening to leave over it is barely worth mentioning or giving a second thought.

Whining is a personality trait that doe not end with the satisfaction of the current whine.

I'd like pepperjack cheese on my burger please?! :)

Silly me. here I am thinking this is a forum, where people discuss, get information, or just rant about whatever the topic du jour is.

My bad.

Later
JimC

Silly me. here I am thinking this is a forum, where people discuss, get information, or just rant about whatever the topic du jour is.

My bad.

Later
JimC

Sure it is, no problem.

Sometimes there's some secondary whining about the whining.

Then there's the armchair psychoanalyzing and subsequent categorical assignments.

It's all good. It's just that sometimes a rant in it's extended version or director's cut gets subjected to more incidental discussion due to the prolonged exposure.

Rant on friend!

:)

$20 for HD programming is nuts?

No, in fact I believe the price is very good for the HD programming we are receiving in their package. It comes to less than $1 per channel per month.

The $20 HD fee is high because the attraction of E* used to be value, their monthly cost was usually $10 less than D*, but with the $20 charge the monthly cost for an HD sub is the same whether with E* or D*. In that context, yes it takes the edge off E*.

And it does not help when E* now has less HDs than D* either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)