2006 Baseball Division Series Playoffs

Jimbos said:
Some of what you said I found true, but not all of it.
I think MOST people that don't like the yankees don't like them because they can go out and BUY ANY PLAYER THEY WANT, thats the part I dislike...
DETROIT has NOT benifitted from your LUXURY tax ..... Mr. Illich doesn't care about money coming in from other teams... Detroit is not a small market team so they do not get the tons you give to TB and FLA and PItt ect,. Detroit is a middle of the road market team.
Mr. Illich stated 4-5 years ago that when they got good enough to be good, he would spend the money required to improve the team ... And he has started to do that ... Pudge was the start and others followed, Detroit had to lose the "Why would anyone want to go there" label, that started when Pudge arrived. and Ordonez followed .

IF you have followed the Tigers at all this year , you know that Kenny Rogers never pitches well in the second half of the year... This year he stumbled for a few games and then got back on track and was damn good the rest of the year.
Look for Verlander to be much better than last time ....

Lets even the playing field and have a true salary cap, not a IF you want to go over it cap .....Lets make the salary cap at say $ 125 million. That way the High dollar teams can manouver and the lower teams have a ways to go to get there. The Tigers were around 90 million this year.

Jimbo

I can't find the article anymore but I read an article that stated that the tigers were getting Luxury taxes up to 2002. Before 2002, they were getting luxury taxes. I do not any prove but I think I read something like that. If anyone can find and post it it will be great.

Sean Mota said:
I can't find the article anymore but I read an article that stated that the tigers were getting Luxury taxes up to 2002. Before 2002, they were getting luxury taxes. I do not any prove but I think I read something like that. If anyone can find and post it it will be great.
My point was that they did not need the money, not that they never got any... Mr. Illich has been spending money on his hockey team all along because they are always good enough to be in contention, now that the Tigers are as well he will continue to spend where needed.
It's quite possible that they were back then, due to winning only like 40-70 games year in and year out doesn't bring the revenue to the ball park that a winning team does.

I don't have a problem with George spending his money to get players, it's just when several teams can buy all the players up and the majority can't that is what causes the huge inbalance, but seeing MLB has not addressed teh issue with a salary cap, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing ....
I would like to see they high dollar teams if they had a hard cap at 125 million.

Jimbo

sidekick said:
Here's hoping for a Tigers v. Cardinals series ala 1968.
Or Tigers vs Mets !!!
The Tigers could then have the oppertunity to knock off BOTH NY teams ....
That ought to set back NY city by about 20 years !!!

Jimbo

Neutron instead of using this thread why don't you start a new one. I can't split the thread it does not look like the function is available anymore on this version of the software.

Jimbos said:
My point was that they did not need the money, not that they never got any...

True but the rules are that they were eligible to receive the "hand-out" luxury tax before 2002 when the Tiger were at the bottom of the Division struggling. Nothing wrong with that. They are playing by the rules instituted by MLB.

Jimbos said:
I don't have a problem with George spending his money to get players, it's just when several teams can buy all the players up and the majority can't that is what causes the huge inbalance, but seeing MLB has not addressed teh issue with a salary cap, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing ....
I would like to see they high dollar teams if they had a hard cap at 125 million.

Jimbo

Salary cap will never see the light of day in Baseball, IMO. Baseball will keep the status quo for a long time. Especially this year number in attendance were record numbers across baseball 76Million in attendance.

C'mon now ... 9/11 didn't set back NYC; I doubt that anything concerned with baseball will. In the whole scheme of things, sports are a nice recreational diversion, but they just aren't "that" important.

Jimbos said:
Or Tigers vs Mets !!!
The Tigers could then have the oppertunity to knock off BOTH NY teams ....
That ought to set back NY city by about 20 years !!!

Jimbo

sidekick said:
C'mon now ... 9/11 didn't set back NYC; I doubt that anything concerned with baseball will. In the whole scheme of things, sports are a nice recreational diversion, but they just aren't "that" important.
Come on Sidekick,
I was speaking in terms of sports, not outside of the sporting world.
I know how important the rest of the world (outside of sports) is ...

Sean Mota said:
Salary cap will never see the light of day in Baseball, IMO. Baseball will keep the status quo for a long time. Especially this year number in attendance were record numbers across baseball 76Million in attendance.
I believe you are right about the lack of a real salary cap, but it would have been a nice thought.
Then again, why would the owners ever vote for a salary cap when the large market teams all give to the small markets, for essentually staying small.
It's a shame that the small market teams are not somehow required to use that money strictly towards getting other players.

My quote of making it at 125 million was an attempt to make it fair for the higher up teams as well as the lower teams, but I know that would never happen.

There IS a money value where if you are under it, you do not pay the luxury tax, so it IS George's and others CHOICE to go over it and pay, I am unsure where that point is anymore.
How many teams are there that choose to go over the SOFT cap and pay the luxury tax ?

Jimbo

Actually, though sports has a following in NYC, there's so much going on that it's hardly the only game in town. The city has dealt with a losing basketball team for years and football hasn't been much better. Other tan the Yankees and an occasional Mets win, sports really doen't shake this town like other towns that don't have 1/10th of the entertainment going for it like NYC does.

Jimbos said:
Come on Sidekick,
I was speaking in terms of sports, not outside of the sporting world.
I know how important the rest of the world (outside of sports) is ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)