2008 World Series.......Phillies vs. Rays

And the NFL purposely did not show a Sunday Night game last night in fear of being beat out by the World Series??

Fear has nothing to do with it!!!...:rolleyes:

There has been a "gentleman's agreement" for years between MLB and the NFL that they would not go head to head on Sunday night (at least for the first series game played on a Sunday on any given year!)...:cool:

For someone who said they didn't care about the ratings, you sure seem obsessed with posting about them!!!

I said I didn't care about the reaction to the ratings- also, I find it comical that the ratings are this low, and surprising when you consider this:

When the Phillies won it all in 1980, they faced another small-market team- the Kansas City Royals- in what is still the highest-rated World Series ever.

Fear has nothing to do with it!!!...:rolleyes:

There has been a "gentleman's agreement" for years between MLB and the NFL that they would not go head to head on Sunday night (at least for the first series game played on a Sunday on any given year!)...:cool:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize this.

Do you suppose the rain delay could have been a factor in the low ratings? I am no expert on this subject but I know I did stay up for this late game even though I am a Phillies fan. When you saw your first MLB game in 1948 it is a little tough to stay awake while watching endless commercials and listening to McCarver and Buck. By the way as to whether or not the series is terrible or not, it depends if your team is playing or was eliminated. Just my opinion!

Looks like another wet night in Philly. Rain may be light enough to play through but not very comfortable for Phillie fans and probably even less comfortable for fans of the Rays.

1948? Have you been around that long?
I have. I was ten years old when my older brothers took me to see the Phila. Athletics play the St. Louis Browns. A's won 3-2 on Buddy Rosar's single in the bottom of the ninth inning. We got free tickets by sending in empty Sealtest ice cream boxes. Richie Ashburn and Robin Roberts soon converted me to be a Phillies fan. Enough of memory lane. Can hardly wait for tonight's game. I like both teams but really am pulling for the Phils.

I have. I was ten years old when my older brothers took me to see the Phila. Athletics play the St. Louis Browns. A's won 3-2 on Buddy Rosar's single in the bottom of the ninth inning. We got free tickets by sending in empty Sealtest ice cream boxes. Richie Ashburn and Robin Roberts soon converted me to be a Phillies fan. Enough of memory lane. Can hardly wait for tonight's game. I like both teams but really am pulling for the Phils.

What a great baseball story from a simpler bygone era. Thanks for sharing it.:up

I can't believe he's old enough to remember the old St. Louis Browns.

Until they moved to Baltimore, the Browns (except for 1945) were baseball's worst team for decades; they were the Lions of American sports for years and years.

Until they moved to Baltimore, the Browns (except for 1945) were baseball's worst team for decades; they were the Lions of American sports for years and years.

Another Browns team, moving to Baltimore? Interesting...

I have. I was ten years old when my older brothers took me to see the Phila. Athletics play the St. Louis Browns. A's won 3-2 on Buddy Rosar's single in the bottom of the ninth inning. We got free tickets by sending in empty Sealtest ice cream boxes. Richie Ashburn and Robin Roberts soon converted me to be a Phillies fan. Enough of memory lane. Can hardly wait for tonight's game. I like both teams but really am pulling for the Phils.[/quote

Great story and 70 yr. old Phillies fan on this forum, Wow!! That's amazing!!!

I hope the Philly fans act right tonight if they win. I was watching Miked Up-Francesa on the Fan on YES and he was saying or reading a story that apparently some Philly fans threw mustard packets at, I think, Joe Maddon's 7 yr. grand daughter which is uncalled for. I guess the Rays complained about the security or lack there of and you can't blame them. If the Phillies win tonight, I hope the fans don't act stupid.

What do you mean old. I just celebrated my 35th birthday for the second time. The Browns were a poor team but my Philadelphia teams were not exactly contenders. We managed an NL companionship in 1950. but that was it until the late 70's and finally 1980 we won it all. I remember going to Shibe Park near the end of 1950 and Don Newcombe started both ends of a twi-night doubleheader. He won the first game quite easily but got no decision in the nightcap although the Dodgers did win. The Phillies held off the Dodgers on the last day of the season when Ashburn threw out Billy Cox (I think it was Cox) in the ninth inning and the Dick Sisler homered in the tenth for the win. Let me know when I am boring you. I won't be insulted.

Another Browns team, moving to Baltimore? Interesting...

Unique, but different.

The Cleveland Browns are an iconic football name; the St. Louis Browns, OTOH, were terrible.

Cleveland has the Dawg Pound; St. Louis' 'other baseball team' had empty seats; lots. They once played a game in 1933 that had only 33 fans show up.

What do you mean old. I just celebrated my 35th birthday for the second time. The Browns were a poor team but my Philadelphia teams were not exactly contenders. We managed an NL companionship in 1950. but that was it until the late 70's and finally 1980 we won it all. I remember going to Shibe Park near the end of 1950 and Don Newcombe started both ends of a twi-night doubleheader. He won the first game quite easily but got no decision in the nightcap although the Dodgers did win. The Phillies held off the Dodgers on the last day of the season when Ashburn threw out Billy Cox (I think it was Cox) in the ninth inning and the Dick Sisler homered in the tenth for the win. Let me know when I am boring you. I won't be insulted.

You're not boring me.

It's just that I have never known anyone who was a baseball fan and alive during a time when St. Louis had two baseball teams, or one-and-a-half (the Browns are a name that is legendary in football, but not in baseball.)

Guys I even went to the airport in Philly to welcome them home after they finally broke their twenty three game losing streak. By the way I never threw anything or cursed out anybody on the field or in the stands. But I was not from Philly. I was from Norristown, PA about twenty miles from the stadium. You might know of Norristown. Some guy named Lasorda was from there.

Unique, but different.

The Cleveland Browns are an iconic football name; the St. Louis Browns, OTOH, were terrible.

Cleveland has the Dawg Pound; St. Louis' 'other baseball team' had empty seats; lots. They once played a game in 1933 that had only 33 fans show up.

I did a bit of research on these St. Louis Browns. Apparently they also have the colors of brown and orange.

I like their logo too...

1936-1951:

Brownslogo.gif

1952-1953:

BrownsElf.gif

The above elf-like logo is somewhat similar to the Cleveland Browns' old elf logo...

BROWNIE.jpg

Bored? This is HISTORY, my friend...and you LIVED it! Just...keep...talkin'!!!!:D

Guys I even went to the airport in Philly to welcome them home after they finally broke their twenty three game losing streak. By the way I never threw anything or cursed out anybody on the field or in the stands. But I was not from Philly. I was from Norristown, PA about twenty miles from the stadium. You might know of Norristown. Some guy named Lasorda was from there.

I've known Lasorda for 20 years. And you forgot to mention another boy from your area...one Michael Joseph Piazza. I am a Wilkes-Barre boy myself. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)