2011 Big Ten Football

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
'Three and Out': Part 3
Excerpt: NCAA investigation ate at Rich Rodriguez, U-M players

John U. Bacon

This third of five excerpts from "Three and Out" covers the start of the NCAA investigation into Michigan's football program, and the impact it had on Rich Rodriguez and his players.

In just 20 months as Michigan's head coach, Rich Rodriguez had already endured a seemingly endless stream of negative headlines, but he still had enough perspective to recognize that the NCAA investigation, which had just kicked into high gear in October 2009, was of a different magnitude altogether.

Initially, Michigan's compliance director, Judy Van Horn, interviewed the coaches, staffers and players herself — in a clear conflict of interest, since the quality of her performance was one of the central questions to be answered. Yet she did not stop the practice until Rodriguez's lawyer — not the university's or the NCAA's — insisted that the U-M and NCAA lawyers should conduct the interviews.

When the investigators asked Van Horn directly if she had told Rodriguez of the missing forms for Countable Athletically Related Activities (CARA), which the NCAA had started investigating, she replied, "I wish I had." If she had, it's doubtful that the former director of football operations, Brad Labadie, would have been allowed to fail to submit them for more than a year, that a university audit would have been deemed necessary, and that Detroit Free Press reporters would have learned about the situation, prompting their FOIA request — and sparking the bigger story, and the NCAA investigation that followed.

Van Horn's reply didn't answer the question, but it was apparently enough for the investigators to drop the issue. And then things got a little stranger. The only coaches Rodriguez kept from Carr's staff were running backs coach Fred Jackson and strength coach Jim Plocki, and neither the university nor the NCAA asked to interview Plocki, and no one asked Jackson, or anyone else, about anything before 2008, including policies and practices that had been constant throughout.

Around this time, a football administrator discovered on his university computer the resume of one of Carr's quality control people, Tom Burpee, on which he boasted about all the coaching his role required, one of the very NCAA rules Rodriguez's regime was being accused of violating.

After Parrish showed it to Rodriguez, he faced a dilemma. If he turned it in to the NCAA, he risked the entire university being found guilty of the dreaded "lack of institutional control," which would hurt him more than anyone else and for which he would no doubt be blamed. But if he kept it from investigators, he would violate the legal pledge he signed at the outset of the investigation, stating he would dutifully report any potential violations he came across — which was one of the rules Jim Tressel broke, launching his investigation in 2011.

Rodriguez concluded that he had to submit Burpee's resume to the compliance people at Michigan and the NCAA. He did so with some trepidation, fearing the consequences — but to his surprise, no one cared. Burpee's claims of coaching were assumed to be simple resume padding — and the NCAA agreed. No one ever considered the possibility that Burpee was telling the truth — which he was. In the words of one former player, "Burpee coached his (butt) off."
'Compliance should know'

This is not to say Carr ran a renegade program. Far from it. Though not perfect, he had earned national acclaim for leading one of the cleanest programs in college football. It does suggest, however, that Rodriguez was being held to a standard even his predecessors had not achieved. For whatever reason, Michigan and the NCAA had no interest in investigating Michigan, just Rodriguez.

But it's also true that after the scope of the investigation had been limited to the 2008-09 school year, no rock within that time span was left unturned. Van Horn told me U-M president Mary Sue Coleman insisted their mission was simply to "find the truth," wherever it led.

"With compliance," Rodriguez said, while finishing his meal a few hours after testifying before investigators, "it was pretty clear that the NCAA person was there to find any little thing she could to make sure she looked like a tough guy. They spent about two hours asking about the role of quality control. I said, on the record, that U-M compliance should know exactly what they were doing, since they were there for plenty of the practices."

During the six weeks I worked out in the weight room and Oosterbaan Field House, I saw every member of the compliance team pass through many times. The doors were always open, and the coaches were not hiding anything. While the coaches should have had a better grasp on the many rules regarding quality control and seven-on-seven drills, if they were committing violations, they were doing so in plain sight of the people whose sole job it was to make sure those violations didn't occur.

"And I also said," Rodriguez continued, "on the record, that the only reason the NCAA is here is because of some completely irresponsible story in the Detroit Free Press.

"'Oh, no, no,' the NCAA person said. 'We look at all our schools.'

"Bull(crap)," Rodriguez said that night, digging into his dessert.

His response was not elegant but accurate. He had made up his mind about something else: "I've been run over too many times. So I'm going to speak for myself.

"I haven't been able just to coach football for two years. That's all I want to do. That's why I came here, to get rid of all the distractions building up at West Virginia. That was our goal in coming here — to get rid of the distractions! We figured Michigan was the place."

He didn't say it, but he didn't have to: He would have been hard-pressed to name any school with more distractions than the one he had picked.
Confusion over rules

Another problem: Rodriguez knew his players were being called in for NCAA interviews all week, but he didn't grasp what this was doing to his team.

"In my opinion," Labadie told me, "none of the players knew the rules, even when they were being interviewed. They were just pissed about having to deal with the whole thing."

Because they didn't know what the rules were, they weren't sure what to say. Had they been violating one of the NCAA's countless and often senseless prohibitions, which allow the school to offer players a breakfast of bagels and butter, but not cream cheese or jelly? (I am not making this up.) Were their off-season workouts voluntary or involuntary? Were the quality control guys conducting seven-on-seven drills or not? The average player didn't make distinctions among assistant coaches, graduate assistants, volunteer assistants, or quality control personnel in the first place.

They didn't know what to say, and they didn't know what their teammates were saying, either.

"We were 4-0, with Michigan State coming up," Labadie continued, "when all these players get interviewed. And they come back and they're talking about it in the locker room. How much did that matter? A lot."

That Saturday, the Wolverines lost in overtime to a 1-3 Michigan State squad, 26-20.

Excerpted from "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football," by John U. Bacon, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, LLC. Copyright 2011 by John U. Bacon. All rights reserved.
'Three and Out'

The Detroit News is publishing excerpts this week from John U. Bacon's new book, "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football."

Monday: Bill Martin's coaching search

Tuesday: Rich Rodriguez takes over

Today: The NCAA investigation

Thursday: A watershed moment against Illinois

Friday: Finally a bowl, but no fight left

From The Detroit News: Michigan Wolverines | Excerpt: NCAA investigation ate at Rich Rodriguez, U-M players | The Detroit News

Could get pretty interesting if LSU loses to Bama and/or Arkansas and winds up possibly playing Michigan in either the Capital One, Gator, or Outback Bowl. Miles might have a bone to pick, you think? And the UM admin will surely want to justify it's decision to pass on him. Could be fun. :)

'Three and Out': Part 4
Excerpt: Loss to Illinois in '09 was beginning of end for Rich Rodriguez

John U. Bacon

This fourth of five excerpts from "Three and Out" recalls Michigan's 2009 loss to Illinois, remarkable in how it evolved. Two years later it is considered a critical juncture in Rich Rodriguez's tenure at Michigan.

The previous day's trouncing by Penn State — Michigan's third straight Big Ten loss — coupled with center David Molk's season-ending injury, conspired to foul Rodriguez's mood more than usual by Sunday.

When your team is in a tailspin, you have two options, neither great. You can try to calm the players, to take some pressure off — which risks coming out flat for the next game. Or you can crank it up another notch, to stop the slide — which risks them getting rattled.

Rodriguez, not surprisingly, opted for the latter. No one was going to get any breaks that week, and only a freshman or a fool would have expected any. But there was a method to his madness. He focused his criticisms solely on toughness, focus and effort — all the things even freshmen could control, every play.

"You want to be 'Leaders and Best'? You want to be Big Ten champs? Let me tell you something right now: You cannot hide from that field. It does not lie," Rodriguez told his team.

The players responded as Rodriguez had hoped. But the fracture lines within Schembechler Hall were now visible.

On Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009, Friday's rain clouds gave way to sunny skies in Champaign, Ill. The 1-6 Illini were led by Juice Williams, who set records at the Big House the year before, and looked just as good on a 10-play drive to Michigan's end zone.

"Hey, Blue!" one fan wearing an Illinois No. 7 jersey said, hanging over the railing by the bench. "Don't be fooled by the record! We comin' after ya!"

But Tate Forcier calmly connected on all three of his passes for 31 yards. On first-and-goal from the 2, Michigan blocked so well Carlos Brown strolled into the end zone. The Wolverines added two field goals to take a 13-7 lead.
Different outcome?

At halftime, the Illinois crowd booed its team, and the game already seemed over. But Rodriguez sensed a crossroads for their entire mission, and was in no mood to let up. "Let's get after 'em now. They don't want this like you want this! So let's keep hittin' 'em and grind 'em down!"

On third-and-7, from Michigan's 23, Forcier fired a pass to Roy Roundtree, who cut straight down the middle of the field, hell-bent for the end zone. The Wolverine defenders on the bench interrupted their conference to cheer him on, thrusting helmets into the air.

This was it, the moment when the Wolverines would go up 20-7 and break Illinois' back. This play would mark the Continental Divide of their season — and Rodriguez's reign. They would end their Big Ten losing streak, getting their sixth win and the monkey off their backs. They'd sing "The Victors" with gusto, and enjoy a happy bus ride to the airport in the fading fall sun, take a little hopper home, and still have plenty of time to get out for Halloween parties. Sunday's film sessions would be lighthearted, then they'd focus on improving their 6-3 record to 7-3 by beating up on Purdue. Then — who knows? — maybe even upset Wisconsin and Ohio State.

The heat would be off. They would start a new streak of bowl games, with the extra practices and recruiting boost that come with it. The train would be rolling.

The particulars didn't matter right now. Just get into the end zone — win match point — and all good things will come your way.

All those visions were riding on the slender shoulders of Roy Roundtree. But instead of conceding the footrace, the touchdown, and the game, Illinois' Terry Hawthorne gave full chase. When Roundtree crossed the 5-yard line, Hawthorne leaped at the skinny receiver and — incredibly — brought him down near the goal line. Roundtree fumbled the ball into the end zone, and an Illinois player recovered it.

All eyes turned to the referee, who thrust his arms into the air. Touchdown! The Wolverines' celebrated. Their season was saved — and so were their coaches. They had outrun the avalanche.

But just as Jason Olesnavage went out to kick the extra point, the referee announced the play was under review. After several minutes, the same ref announced it was not a fumble, but not a touchdown, either. Michigan would get the ball at the 1-yard line. No matter. Carlos Brown had already walked it in from the 2. Four tries from the 1? Please.
Game over

On first down, Brown ran up the middle — and was stuffed. On second down, Brown got stuffed again. On the bench, the defense became concerned. "We better get this in!" linebacker Jonas Mouton said. On third down, Brown ran right — and was stopped short.

Finally, on fourth down, Rodriguez put Brandon Minor back in. Even limited with a high ankle sprain, he was still their biggest, toughest runner.

No matter how much undermining Rodriguez had faced, if Michigan punched this in, none of it would matter. And if you are the game's greatest offensive mastermind of the last two decades, scoring from first-and-goal would seem like child's play.

Minor started from the right, then slashed to the left — but someone missed his man, who smothered Minor. The scoreboard remained stuck at 13-7. Illinois ball.

Five plays later, Illinois' Mikel Leshoure popped free from the pack, then dashed 70 yards down the sideline, in front of disbelieving Michigan players, who dropped their heads as though a furious dust storm had come through and they had to shield their eyes.

The scoreboard said, "Illinois 14, Michigan 13," but the Wolverines' faces told another story: The game was over.

Those few plays, it turned out, actually did constitute the Continental Divide of Michigan's season and possibly Rodriguez's tenure — but in the other direction. The swoon was absolutely stunning, ending in a 38-13 final score. The insult was complete.

Rodriguez was almost speechless. "Every man needs to evaluate himself and his performance. And that starts with me."

Back in the coaches' room, Rodriguez slammed his locker, slammed it again, then collapsed on his chair, hands behind his head, letting the inevitable waves of pain seep in.

Excerpted from "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football," by John U. Bacon, published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux, LLC. Copyright 2011 by John U. Bacon. All rights reserved.
'Three and Out'

The Detroit News is publishing excerpts this week from John U. Bacon's new book, "Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football."

Monday: Bill Martin's coaching search

Tuesday: Rich Rodriguez takes over

Wednesday: The NCAA investigation

Today: A watershed moment against Illinois

Friday: Finally a bowl, but no fight left

From The Detroit News: Michigan Wolverines | Excerpt: Loss to Illinois in '09 was beginning of end for Rich Rodriguez | The Detroit News

'Three and Out': Part 5

Excerpt: Michigan had no fight left for Rich Rodriguez's finale

John U. Bacon

This last of five excerpts from "Three and Out" describes Michigan's lopsided loss to Mississippi State in the 2011 Gator Bowl, Rich Rodriguez's final game as Wolverines coach.

After being blown out by Ohio State, the coaches knew the case against them was building, but they had a job to do, and they were going to do it. Even with the axes dangling over their heads, they hit the recruiting trail as hard as ever — knowing they might well be filling the cupboard for someone else.

They also knew that other schools might be interested in them — particularly Maryland — if Rich Rodriguez would just entertain the offers, but he steadfastly refused. That, too, came with a price. "Keep in mind," Rodriguez told me at the time, "I have a contract, I have a buyout, but my assistant coaches don't. And instead of calling other schools for jobs, they're going all-out for Michigan. Not one of them has come to me with an offer from somewhere else, and I know they could get them."

Would beating No. 21 Mississippi State in the Gator Bowl save them? Athletic director Dave Brandon, a shrewd poker player, wasn't tipping his hand either way.

When the bowl practices started, the seniors began conducting their exit interviews with associate athletic director Greg Harden. Not surprisingly, these interviews focused on the central question: Should Rodriguez stay, or should he go? Their views were mixed, but their conclusions leaving the interviews were not: Our coach is a goner.

"It's all anyone was talking about — Rich getting fired," one student manager said. "No one wanted to be there."

Given the incessant pressure of the previous three years, the discouraging end to the season, plus the exit interviews, the players finally realized winning would bring not freedom from their burdens — as it would have earlier in the season — but an extension of them. The way things were set up, they had more incentive to lose than to win.

'This is all we got?'

Right before kickoff at the Gator Bowl, on Jan. 1, 2011, captain Mark Moundros and Rodriguez spoke to the team at full power. When the Wolverines took the field, it looked, once again, as if it could be Michigan's day.

Michigan ended the first quarter ahead in just about every category, including the score: 14-10. But in the second quarter, Mississippi State scored three straight touchdowns to Michigan's zero, taking a commanding 31-14 lead into halftime.

One fan sitting in the stands behind the bench held up a sign that read: "Even Bo said it takes four years." But three other fans held up one sign each: "We. Want. Harbaugh." The players had not been able to escape such talk for over a month, even during their last game.

In the locker room, David Molk asked his teammates, "So this is it? After a month of practice, this is what we bring? This is all we got? This is US? Disgusting! Lying down after a half? We laid down after a quarter!

"No hanging our heads! Get up! Get up and get after (them)!"

Rodriguez followed Molk: "There ain't nothing wrong with ya! You're better than that! Get your heads up — and let's go!"

But after three years of nonstop drama, after facing just about every obstacle you could throw at a group of college football players, they didn't have anything left.

When they ran out of the tunnel, you could tell they were done.

"I've been 'all in' for Rich Rod from the start," U-M cameraman Patrick McLaughlin said. "But they're down 31-14, and some of these guys just came out of the tunnel smiling. Unless they pull off a miracle, or lose respectably, I do believe his story ends here today. I finally believe it."

The Bulldogs added three more touchdowns in the second half and won 52-14
Tearful end

McLaughlin may have been late to reach his conclusion, but he was right. And back in the coaches' room, Rodriguez knew it, too.

"Today's not our day," he told his players. "I thought we were ready to play, and we weren't, and that's on me. We just didn't execute, in any phase of the game.

"But that doesn't diminish my feelings for you, and especially you seniors. You guys busted your (butts) all year. You're going out winners in my book. Seniors, you laid the foundation for all the teams that follow. We have a great work ethic and a great attitude.

"Your curfew is 1 a.m. Don't screw this week up by doing something stupid. Breakfast is 8 to 9:30. Then the buses take us to the airport.

"You seniors, you've given the juniors something to live up to. You have the right attitude.
"Get in. 'Michigan' on three."

"MICHIGAN!"

Ryan Van Bergen, Moundros and a few other players were in tears.

Like most of the assistants, Greg Frey gathered his position players.

"Once you're part of my family for one play, you're a part of my family for life," Frey said. "You need me, you call me."

Rodriguez went through the locker room to hug every senior, then handled the press conference and returned to an empty locker room.

He faced his locker for a moment, half slammed it, and said, "Well, I just made Dave Brandon's job a lot easier."

satjay said:
I don't think so, while the defense is not the greatest. It is much better this year

His hiring was a mess and why lloyd Carr hated les miles do much is mystery.

Buckeyes wearing THEIR version of the Nike Combat Uniforms tonight ....

Not sure what I think of them yet, only saw them briefly.

Don't care for the Big Number on the helmet though.

Okay, Brady Hoke is certainly head-and-shoulders better than that scumbag Rich Rodriguez...but I am not convinced he has what it takes to lead the Michigan program. He is certainly gettting things moving in the right direction (i.e., returning to playing Michigan football) but it's hard to gauge his progress since he is having to use the player Rich Rodriguez recruited. I'll give him credit for building a credible defense on short-noticed and wisely using his players on offense (i.e., not throwing the baby out with the bath water)...however, it might take a year or two before we can truly measure Coach Hoke's ability to deliver. Overall I would give him a B+ at this point.

Very interesting articles on what happened with Les Miles. Looking back I was somewhat surprised that Les Miles didn't sign with Michigan...although I thought it was because Les Miles had established an effective Michigan-like program at LSU and he decided that he would have more success "staying put". Plus, Carr's program wasn't in the best of shape (my opinion). We all knew RR would hurt the Michigan football program...but we certainly didn't know everything that happened behind the scene.

Additionally, I wish we would have picked-up Jim Harbaugh because this guy can flat-out coach!!! Oh well...

Week 10 Schedule and Television Coverage

My Picks (in bold)

Sat 11/05 Indiana @ Ohio State BTN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 11/05 Michigan @ Iowa ESPN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 11/05 Minnesota @ Michigan State BTN 12:00 PM ET
Sat 11/05 Northwestern @ Nebraska BTN 3:30 PM ET
Sat 11/05 Purdue @ Wisconsin ABC/ESPN2 3:30 PM ET

Bye Week: Illinois, Penn State

- Indiana is playing better but the Buckeyes win this one easily.
- Iowa plays inspired ball at home but I don't see Michigan losing to a team that lost to Indiana.
- The Spitoonies big over Minnesota.
- The Cornhuskers big over Northwestern.
- The Cheeseheads big over the Boilermakers.

Who do you Big10 fans think will make the CCG, and who wins the conference?

Offhand, Michigan State would have to fall on their swords not to win the Legends Division since they are closing-out their season against Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and Northwestern (cupcake schedule). In the Leaders Division, although Penn State has a 2-game lead over Wisconsin with only 3-games to play...they close-out their season with games against Nebraska, Ohio State and Wisconsin. IMO, they have played an extremely easy schedule to date and are certainly not a credible 8-1 team. I see PSU losing two, if not all three, of their upcoming games; they have a good defense, but woeful offense. I actually see Wisconsin winning the Leaders Division.

In summary: Wisconsin 60%, Penn State 30% and OSU 10% of winning the Leaders Division. Michigan and Nebraska and Michigan State are all tied at 3-1, but the schedule certainly favors the Spartans; MSU 50%, Nebraska, 40%, Michigan 10%.

Wisconsin beats MSU in a rematch if it takes place. I still shocked Wisconsin lost their games against both MSU and OSU. We shall see...

Okay, Brady Hoke is certainly head-and-shoulders better than that scumbag Rich Rodriguez...but I am not convinced he has what it takes to lead the Michigan program. He is certainly gettting things moving in the right direction (i.e., returning to playing Michigan football) but it's hard to gauge his progress since he is having to use the player Rich Rodriguez recruited. I'll give him credit for building a credible defense on short-noticed and wisely using his players on offense (i.e., not throwing the baby out with the bath water)...however, it might take a year or two before we can truly measure Coach Hoke's ability to deliver. Overall I would give him a B+ at this point.

Very interesting articles on what happened with Les Miles. Looking back I was somewhat surprised that Les Miles didn't sign with Michigan...although I thought it was because Les Miles had established an effective Michigan-like program at LSU and he decided that he would have more success "staying put". Plus, Carr's program wasn't in the best of shape (my opinion). We all knew RR would hurt the Michigan football program...but we certainly didn't know everything that happened behind the scene.

Additionally, I wish we would have picked-up Jim Harbaugh because this guy can flat-out coach!!! Oh well...

Very good post ....

I agree with your first paragraph .... and am thankful of your last ... :)

riffjim4069 said:
Michigan didn't play well, especially after a bye-week, but the refs shouldn't decide the game...video officials can't even properly review a play a make the correct call.

Thanks, Jack.

Yes, the officials lost this game for the Wolverines, he should have been allowed the TD in the last minute of play.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts