2014 FIFA World Cup Official Thread

BoiseStateFan4Life

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
United States
We're less than three months before the start of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil!!! So let this thread be the official one for the WC :) I don't expect a lot of activity on this thread until the start on June 12th. I don't know how many international football fans are out here on this forum but it should be very fun.

Any predictions?

Here is the draw again for anyone who missed it.

205.jpg

Ignore the thumbnail. :)

Attachments

• world-cup-groups.png
    world-cup-groups.png
    77 KB · Views: 209
I´m looking forward to the WC, I´d rather wait till the games begin for any predictions. Brazil is supposed to be a big favorite at home,

I am looking forward to the games as well...but NOT looking forward to the fact that the country is NO WHERE NEAR being logistically ready.

Good point, BTW are all the stadiums ready now ? I remember about a month ago they were still working and concerned about having some stadiums built and ready for June

Looking forward to it, always cheer for the men from the USA, our second team though is Italy as our family roots are from there, love watching it, my daughter and I can't wait!

Good point, BTW are all the stadiums ready now ? I remember about a month ago they were still working and concerned about having some stadiums built and ready for June

Nope. There are some that are ready and some that are not. Stories like these are EVERYWHERE:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26726275

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...o-fans-safety-says-Fifa-head-of-security.html

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/cml...cup-stadium-in-jungle-city-of-manaus-1.888383

Not World Cup news but very excited to see Manchester United vs Real Madrid in August at the Big House (plan on buying tickets)

Watching international news the other night, I saw that some airports are not ready, now browsing the internet I still find stories like the one below:

The Arena de Sao Paulo, also known as Arena Corinthians, is sometimes called Itaquerao. The confusion in the name stems from Sao Paulo’s Corinthians club planning to sell the naming rights once the World Cup is complete. (Emirates Airline have been rumoured to be interested.)
Yet the name is the least of its problems. The stadium will host the opening Cup match between Brazil and Croatia on June 12, but when viewed two weeks ago, it remained more akin to a construction site than a venue capable of safely accommodating 65,807 spectators.
Delayed multiple times – most recently for the death of a construction worker – the surrounding area was filled with cranes and diggers and labourers dressed in yellow or blue jumpsuits.
Likewise, the nearby roads were unpaved, the bus terminal unfinished and a walkway from the metro station remains incomplete

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/foo...-preparation-for-2014-world-cup#ixzz30sBaiK2S
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

Watching international news the other night, I saw that some airports are not ready, now browsing the internet I still find stories like the one below:

The Arena de Sao Paulo, also known as Arena Corinthians, is sometimes called Itaquerao. The confusion in the name stems from Sao Paulo’s Corinthians club planning to sell the naming rights once the World Cup is complete. (Emirates Airline have been rumoured to be interested.)
Yet the name is the least of its problems. The stadium will host the opening Cup match between Brazil and Croatia on June 12, but when viewed two weeks ago, it remained more akin to a construction site than a venue capable of safely accommodating 65,807 spectators.
Delayed multiple times – most recently for the death of a construction worker – the surrounding area was filled with cranes and diggers and labourers dressed in yellow or blue jumpsuits.
Likewise, the nearby roads were unpaved, the bus terminal unfinished and a walkway from the metro station remains incomplete

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/foo...-preparation-for-2014-world-cup#ixzz30sBaiK2S
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

Yeah. A little worried, but I am GOING to ass-ume they will be ready-ish I guess.:pray2:

Yeah. A little worried, but I am GOING to ass-ume they will be ready-ish I guess.:pray2:

Hopefully even if at the very last minute. Last night again watching international news I came across another report, roads not finished, stadium stands still not completed in one stadium, construction still going in others, airport remodeling still in progress,.....the games are to begin in about a month.

But I understand they´re working now around the clock to be ready,:) so let´s hope for that.

Even though FIFA, the international soccer governing organization, initially wanted work on all arenas completed by the end of last year, workers still were scurrying around last week at the three laggard stadiums.
The first full test event at the privately owned Curitiba stadium, which has been plagued by a recent workers’ strike and financing problems, is scheduled this Tuesday. The only full-capacity rehearsal at the new Sao Paulo arena, where three workers have died in construction accidents, is set for next Sunday.
During a press briefing in Zurich on Thursday, FIFA Secretary General Jérôme Valcke said for the Sao Paulo opener “we need to have a level of operation which is perfect.”
He said he’s also concerned about the fan experience. “I think the biggest challenges will be for them,” Valcke said. Not only will they find high prices in major cities, but they could face travel delays in a continent-sized country with limited transportation options.

AT AIRPORTS, ‘ONGOING PROJECT’
There also could be bottlenecks at airports — some that have needed to be updated for decades — as 600,000 international fans, 3 million Brazilians and teams and trainers from 32 countries move around South America’s largest country.
“That’s one of the concerns,” conceded Fernandes. “We need to improve operations of our airports. It’s an ongoing improvement project.”
Brazil has embarked on an ambitious program to update its airports. It has 30 airport projects underway and has granted concessions to private operators at three. But all the upgrades promised for World Cup won’t be completed.
The daily newspaper Folha de São Paulo has reported that a 28-gate, $900.3-million terminal at Viracopos International Airport in the state of Sao Paulo that was supposed to be delivered this Sunday won’t be fully operational for the World Cup. Seven national teams plan to use the airport during the Cup as their base for domestic flights

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/13/4113273/brazil-down-to-the-wire-on-world.html#storylink=cpy
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/13/4113273/brazil-down-to-the-wire-on-world.html#storylink=cpy

I really don't understand leaving the U.S.'s best player off the team.

He is older and no longer posseses the speed he once had...which is something he use to have above all others. They have some very good up and coming kids that have experience playing in the Euro leagues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)