2014 NFL off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't make the 53 man roster and doesn't get picked back up by anyone. His situation is VERY comparable to Tebow, just a lower profile position.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I was going to avoid ever discussing Tim Tebow on this thread unless there was relevant news concerning him. However,with both the draft & hype of Michael Sam,it has made Tebow relevant again. Unlike Sam,nobody probably thought that Tebow shouldn't have been drafted,he just shouldn't have been drafted in the first round. That's probably more than can be said for Sam. I think that Tebow knew he had flaws & was willing to work on them to improve. Right now Tebow is in the same boat as Vince Young,a player you'll only pick up if you are extremely desperate,& there is absolutely no other option available. Michael Sam will most likely not be allowed to fail,there is just too much riding on him to see him get cut. Woe is the GM who cuts him from the team.

To get us off of the topic of Michael Sam here is a question to ponder,what's the difference between having Alex Smith & Kyle Orton as QB? To me,both seem bland & vanilla,& Smith just recently became successful. Orton is a good passer,but to me,not much of a leader.

Uh...Sam has less talent than both those two?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They're entire tiers apart. Vince Young was just on an NFL team this week, Tebow has already been out of the league a year, and Sam is a 7th round prospect that statistically is more likely to be out of the NFL before the season begins.

As to Orton vs Smith, pretty easy answer... Smith doesn't make the mistakes Orton does and is why he's consistently had a starting job while Orton has ping ponged around the league and settling for backup roles. That's a double-edged sword because sometimes you wish Smith would throw the ball down the field more, but Smith has shown he's the better QB and as evidenced in their playoff loss, he can put up respectable numbers too.

Orton is the new Jeff George.

All that being said, their the same class of QB IMO, just one better than the other at the moment, which is why one is a starter and the other a backup.

Michael Sam, the guy who said he wants to just be thought of as a football player... has signed a reality TV deal with Oprah's network... 'a docuseries with a history-making football player. '

Wonder if the Rams would have drafted a 7th round reality TV star.

Wow I have come up with a new concept for a tv show that is sure to get huge ratings.Take Michael Sam,Donald Sterling,Vladimir Putin,and anyone else that is a legend in their own mind,put them all in one big house with Anderson Cooper and Oprah Winfrey.:rolleyes:

If Sam had Ndomukong Suh's talent that would be one thing,but he didn't do so hot during the combine. If he hadn't come out as openly gay,nobody would have cared if he wasn't drafted at all. My local newspaper,in the deep south,had a commentary that if Sam wasn't drafted,it would be a travesty because teams would be considered too afraid to draft an openly gay player. As it happens,he was drafted & you better believe that there will be great pressure on the Rams to make sure that he both makes the team & becomes a starter. I already heard Bob Beckel on Fox News say that he should have been drafted in the first round & the teams in the NFL should be ashamed for not drafting him in the first round. It's very easy to be sarcastic & cynical about this one. It just begs for cynicism.

I think if he was NOT gay, he would have been drafted higher. You do not win defensive player of the year in the supposedly toughest conference in football if you suck. He was drafted this low because he is gay and the media attention the team will be getting for non-football related issues.

This is why I will vehemently disagree with anybody who wants to compare Michael Sam to Jackie Robinson. Sam has a massive PC police force out there to police comments made against Sam & will push to have commenters punished for ANY negative comment made against him(plus his treatment will be compared to the treatment that Tim Tebow got when he was in the league. Apples & oranges,but there it is.),whereas Jackie Robinson was told to suck it up & take the abuse he received at the hands of other players. The success or failure of of African Americans in MLB rested squarely on Robinson's back & depended solely on how he behaved,something that Sam WILL NEVER experience because of the massive support behind him to succeed,& to crush dissent & nay sayers against him. As Stephen A. Smith says,when it comes to Michael Sam,"the fix is in."

I am not comparing the plights, but Jackie Robinson did not have the social media nor the regular media that there today. Would Jackie have cracked under the pressure of today's media? We will never know. But do not underestimate what he is going to through....because he will go through alot.

Am annoyed Sam is being stuffed down our throats on a daily basis (more or less for what he is, and not what he can do).

Put me on the homophobe wagon now as I dont think he has the talent to make it in the NFL. If he hadnt come out of the closet, he wouldnt be a media sensation and no one would know who he is.

I firmly believe he's being used as a PR/Rights agenda than for his talent and whoever thinks he's not getting preferental treatment is living on the USS Haler.

**ie- a 6th rounder is getting more attention then the first over all pick?? It aint because he's got talent.

I pity the GM who's going to have to release him and I feel bad for the kid for being exploited.

So then you are saying either the following, if he does not have talent: (a) The SEC is completely overrated when it comes to defensive players. (b) Him getting the award was completely fixed because he is gay...or (c) All of the above.

Also interesting is that Jeff Fisher apparently hasn't closed the door to the idea of the Rams appearing on Hard Knocks this year (beginning of video):

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Sam, the guy who said he wants to just be thought of as a football player... has signed a reality TV deal with Oprah's network... 'a docuseries with a history-making football player. '

Wonder if the Rams would have drafted a 7th round reality TV star.

I've been pretty quiet about this so far and for the most part will remain quiet about it. I just don't understand saying he want's to be viewed as a Football player yet I keep getting shoved in the face on sports channels with his make out session and now a reality show. I don't care what anyone else does with their personal lives, I just want to watch sports on these sports channels.

Back to silence.... :)

Aaron Hernandez has offically been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the July 2012 killings of two men in Boston.

Conley said that Hernandez was driving an SUV that pulled up alongside Abreu and Furtado's car near the nightclub and that the former football star fired a .38-caliber revolver at them.
Hernandez has also been charged with unlawfully carrying the gun he allegedly used in the attack, Conley said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/justice/aaron-hernandez-indictment/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I've been pretty quiet about this so far and for the most part will remain quiet about it. I just don't understand saying he want's to be viewed as a Football player yet I keep getting shoved in the face on sports channels with his make out session and now a reality show. I don't care what anyone else does with their personal lives, I just want to watch sports on these sports channels.

Back to silence.... :)

B-I-N-G-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Van Wieren

Gumble's grumble about LaRussa's HoF induction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)