2016 Hopper3 Press Release

Yeah, like Scott said a couple of days slower. So if the avg Joe doesn't want an EHD and/or don't even know what one is. Doing the Ethernet will be a great option for most.

Yeah, like Scott said a couple of days slower. So if the avg Joe doesn't want an EHD and/or don't even know what one is. Doing the Ethernet will be a great option for most.
I am that Joe. My gf won't let me buy one. She doesn't like TV, and says it is needless so when I get my H3, I will be doing the Ethernet option.

Reactions: KE4EST
An option people aren't considering is USB flash drives. I thought there was a minimum size requirement for Dish to "accept" them (was it 40gb ?) and if so, 64gb drives are pretty cheap nowadays. Yes, it might take a few back and forth swaps but you also - gasp - don't need to copy everything.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

i am going to try doing that ethernet thing by transfering all my bluegrass and polka shows from my hopper with sling to the new hopper 3.i went to walmart yesterday and the electronics guy asked me that i needed a external hard drive and i told them that the guys on satelliteguys told me to get one.they are about 50 to 60 dollars for one.he did not understand why i needed it for.well what scott is telling is that in beta right now you can transfer your shows from onne hopper to another hopper i wonder how long it will take to transfer 190 shows of the mollie b polka party,cumberland highlanders show,reno old time bluegrass festival.i know that it will take a while to do it.i appreciate you guys telling us how to do it from both hoppers.

I would try it myself but the largest I have is 32gb. I'm also positive that non-powered drives can work but Dish doesn't support it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Interesting. I've got a couple 64GB at the office. Might have to bring one home to try just out of curiosity.

A 32gb flash drive is in the Hopper as I type this. It recognized it, told me it needs formatted so that it can be used, and asked me to confirm formatting it, which I did. It's now done formatting....

Bummer.... when I tried to transfer something, it told me there's no external HDD connected.

I do think there's a 40gb minimum size requirement though so that could be the problem. Second, it could be that it's not a powered drive, though I am not sure that's the case.

A 32gb flash drive is in the Hopper as I type this. It recognized it, told me it needs formatted so that it can be used, and asked me to confirm formatting it, which I did. It's now done formatting....

Bummer.... when I tried to transfer something, it told me there's no external HDD connected.

I do think there's a 40gb minimum size requirement though so that could be the problem. Second, it could be that it's not a powered drive, though I am not sure that's the case.
50gb-2tb. Surprised it went that far since flash memory is not supported either.

I would try it myself but the largest I have is 32gb. I'm also positive that non-powered drives can work but Dish doesn't support it.
Non powered drives MAY work depending on how much power they take, but they could also cause the power supply on the Hopper to go if it takes too much power. So for that reason I don't recommend it. :)

Yeap, that's exactly what I remember - the power requirements of the attached drive are the concern. Some people here have external, un-powered drives attached, I'm positive.

Reactions: TheKrell
Does anyone know when the Ethernet transfer option will be available as I have a first get Hopper & Joey system that I got a few weeks after it came out and I have been having issues with my hopper and I have been waiting to do a upgrade as I am out of contract and been told I have a free upgrade so I want to upgrade to the new hopper 3 and the 4k joeys but I want the ethernet transfer option as our current hopper is 70% full and I don't want to do ehd so I would rather transfer via ethernet.

That feature is still in testing and may not be in the initial release. You don't have to copy your recordings from the EHD to the new Hopper. They can be played back from the EHD.

Only issue is you cannot access the EHD remotely using DISH Anywhere. Also, have they figured out how to update the firmware without doing the nightly reboot as Directv never requires the reboot to upgrade.

Non powered drives MAY work depending on how much power they take, but they could also cause the power supply on the Hopper to go if it takes too much power. So for that reason I don't recommend it. :)

Which was the reason I was asking earlier about using either a 2.5" HDD/SSD or a 3.5" HDD and then use the USB to SATA/IDE adapter which has a power supply for the HD itself. Take a look at this and the pictures and you will know what I mean, the HDD/SDD is powered by a external power source that came with the Adapter and the adapter basically connects via USB 3.0 or 2.0 to the Hopper.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71BBhqOb8TL._SL1300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71TDZQXKQJL._SL1500_.jpg

I can do MicroSD 200GB, 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Samsung Pro850 SSD as I have a bunch of those laying around.

I tried a 64GB usb thumb drive, and it worked. I tried a 130GB SSD in a self-powered USB2 enclosure; it also worked. I tried a 320GB My Passport USB2 drive, and it reliably crashed my receiver during formatting. :crying I also tried a 500GB and a 1.5TB My Passport USB3 drive, and they too both worked. This was in a 612 and a 722.

If I recall, the USB identification for a USB hard drive is different than a USB thumb drive. That said, I have a 128 GB USB thumb drive from HP that I'm going to try since you've piqued my curiosity...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts